Why can't they vaccinate against the common cold?

2,148 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieUSMC
Deplorable
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If they can seemingly successfully vaccine against sars-2 and its variants?
ORAggieFan
It would be much more complex and many more boosters, but they probably could. But, is it worth it for something that minor?
KidDoc
AG
1) no demand

2) Common cold is actually a LARGE number of viruses. The vaccine would have to have 100's of antigens. Rhinovirus, coronavirus, parainfluenza, adenovirus etc all kind of cause the same symptoms.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Deplorable
KidDoc said:

1) no demand

2) Common cold is actually a LARGE number of viruses. The vaccine would have to have 100's of antigens. Rhinovirus, coronavirus, parainfluenza, adenovirus etc all kind of cause the same symptoms.

If you had a vaccine that conferred immunity to the dominants strains of rhino viruses, corona viruses, parainfluenzas, adenoviruses, etc. - wouldn't that largely prevent the spread and subsequent mutation of those viruses in the general population?

I would think you'd get close to as much demand as there is for the covid vaccine (something like 50%).
KidDoc
AG
Yes it likely would. With mRNA vaccines looking like a valid tech it is possible if they want to R&D it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bruce Almighty
AG
It seems to be that having a vaccine for the cold would be counter productive. Trying to eradicate every damn disease leaves our immune system weak when it's really needed.
ORAggieFan
Bruce Almighty said:

It seems to be that having a vaccine for the cold would be counter productive. Trying to eradicate every damn disease leaves our immune system weak when it's really needed.
Does being vaccinated weaken your immune system?
Infection_Ag11
AG
There are numerous different viruses encompassed in the term "common cold" and hundreds of different strains of those viruses. Rhinoviruses, adenoviruses, HMV, coronaviruses, enteroviruses, RSV, parainfluenza viruses, etc. can all cause a cold. Vaccinating against even just the most common ones would be futile. And there certainly wouldn't be a demand for such a thing.
Bruce Almighty
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Bruce Almighty said:

No, but never being sick means your immune system is never being worked.
Deplorable
Bruce Almighty said:

ORAggieFan said:

Bruce Almighty said:

No, but never being sick means your immune system is never being worked.

That's the opposite of what young people with healthy immune systems are being told about covid.
OldArmyBrent
AG
Wow. Just wow. I can't believe what I'm reading.
Shakes the Clown
OldArmyBrent said:

Wow. Just wow. I can't believe what I'm reading.
LOL at the "no demand"

I. can't. even.

Tell that to the people that make this stuff:

AggieUSMC
AG
It's not a question of why "can't" they vaccinated against the common cold. It's more a question of why "won't" they. Vaccines take billions and billions of dollars to R&D and are not without risk of adverse effects (see COVID vaccine). The common cold just isn't that much of a problem to warrant that kind of investment and assume that kind of risk.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.