Peer Reviewed article on the origins of COVID 19

6,216 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 94chem
fat girlfriend
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know that looking at facts and data is important on this board:

https://thebulletin.org/2021/05/the-origin-of-covid-did-people-or-nature-open-pandoras-box-at-wuhan/

Quote:

Proponents of natural emergence have an up-hill task to explain all the features of SARS2's furin cleavage site. They have to postulate a recombination event at a site on the virus's genome where recombinations are rare, and the insertion of a 12-nucleotide sequence with a double arginine codon unknown in the beta-coronavirus repertoire, at the only site in the genome that would significantly expand the virus's infectivity.

Quote:

In the case of SARS1, researchers have documented the successive changes in its spike protein as the virus evolved step by step into a dangerous pathogen. After it had gotten from bats into civets, there were six further changes in its spike protein before it became a mild pathogen in people. After a further 14 changes, the virus was much better adapted to humans, and with a further four, the epidemic took off.
But when you look for the fingerprints of a similar transition in SARS2, a strange surprise awaits. The virus has changed hardly at all, at least until recently. From its very first appearance, it was well adapted to human cells. Researchers led by Alina Chan of the Broad Institute compared SARS2 with late stage SARS1, which by then was well adapted to human cells, and found that the two viruses were similarly well adapted. "By the time SARS-CoV-2 was first detected in late 2019, it was already pre-adapted to human transmission to an extent similar to late epidemic SARS-CoV," they wrote.
Even those who think lab origin unlikely agree that SARS2 genomes are remarkably uniform. Baric writes that "early strains identified in Wuhan, China, showed limited genetic diversity, which suggests that the virus may have been introduced from a single source."
A single source would of course be compatible with lab escape, less so with the massive variation and selection which is evolution's hallmark way of doing business.
The uniform structure of SARS2 genomes gives no hint of any passage through an intermediate animal host, and no such host has been identified in nature.
Proponents of natural emergence suggest that SARS2 incubated in a yet-to-be found human population before gaining its special properties. Or that it jumped to a host animal outside China.
All these conjectures are possible, but strained. Proponents of a lab leak have a simpler explanation.
Old Buffalo
AG
Maybe this is groundhogs day, but I feel like I've seen this posted here before.....
fat girlfriend
I appreciate the hard job TexAgs mods do, but I was shocked the first post was deleted. The article itself is obviously not conspiracy tripe, is highly informative, and is relevant to this board. I think it's important. So I softened some language and figured I try again.
cone
AG
Wade isn't some crank
amercer
AG
cone said:

Wade isn't some crank

No, but his organization has spent the last 75 years telling the world that we are minutes away from a nuclear holocaust. So saying that careless humans are the cause of world destruction is kind of in his wheelhouse....
cone
AG
amercer said:

cone said:

Wade isn't some crank

No, but his organization has spent the last 75 years telling the world that we are minutes away from a nuclear holocaust. So saying that careless humans are the cause of world destruction is kind of in his wheelhouse....
organization?

i thought the OG article was a freelance medium post
cone
AG

at this point what difference does it make?

when you know you're over the target
P.U.T.U
AG
It should be discussed on if it was lab made for safety/inspection reasons so it does not happen again. The USA and Chinese CDC departments have worked together for years (with a lot of US funding) so if they are not following proper protocol things need to change.

Then it comes on whether we should be trying to come up with more dangerous diseases in hope of saving the lives in the future. The 1972 Biological Weapons Convention banned "Never under any circumstances to develop, produce, stockpile, acquire, or retain biological weapons". Technically several nations like USA, Russia, Iran, and China are not following this, one of the provisions is if something does get released the country where it came from has to assist those where it spread. In other words China should be responsible, monetary and other assistance, to pretty much every other country in the world.

Almost all countries are not better off than they were pre-Covid and no one has held China responsible. Did they release it on purpose or did it somehow escape? This is worth looking into. I think we all know China will lie and do anything they can to look innocent but I would be for putting the pressure on them in hopes of this not happening again.
94chem
cone said:

at this point what difference does it make?

when you know you're over the target
Says Noah Smith, of the Washington Post:

Education: University of Michigan, B.A. in Anthropology Noah Smith is a journalist focused on the business, political and cultural implications of video games.

Noah needs to go back to his Atari in the garage so the grown-ups can talk.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

i thought the OG article was a freelance medium post
That is where it caught Scott Gottlieb's eye. He reposted it on Twitter and it took off.

Nicholas Wade is not affililated with the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists. That group just republished his work.

NicosMachine
AG
amercer said:

cone said:

Wade isn't some crank

It is a logical fallacy to to judge something as either good or bad on the basis of where it comes from, or from whom it came. Is there a factual refutation of the evidence set forth in this article?
Romello
"The uniform structure of SARS2 genomes gives no hint of any passage through an intermediate animal host, and no such host has been identified in nature."
Windy City Ag
AG
I have been very intrigued by this article, mostly because the author has no medical research or virology background and most of what he says is not sourced to other researchers but are from him directly.

I am not saying this to shoot the messenger. I have so little domain knowledge on this subject that I am trying not to be completely stupid on the matter. I usually want to understand the technical debate a reporter like this one is sourcing for comments.

I did finally notice a few pushbacks on his claims as being misleading, specifically from a guy at the Scripps Institute.

The whole "Furin Cleavage" thing

https://andersen-lab.com/secrets/data/sars-cov-2-origins/

Quote:

When we performed our analyses, the polybasic cleavage site we identified was predicted, but we now know it's functional and likely plays a role in SARS-CoV-2 pathogenesis. This site is novel among SARS-like coronaviruses, however, these sites can be found all across the coronavirus family, including the exact PRRAR (found in feline coronaviruses). When we wrote our paper, we predicted that related viruses may be found with insertions (if not necessarily polybasic sites) are the S1/S2 junction, and indeed RmYN02 - a SARS-like coronavirus found in bats - has an insertion at this junction. Similar to the SARS-CoV-2 RBD, the polybasic cleavage site is therefore a common feature observed during the evolution of coronaviruses.

Basically he says the two "smoking gun" type observations are pretty common among coronaviruses and should not be viewed as conclusive evidence of a human source for the COVID.
fat girlfriend
I think that's a really good way to approach this article, Windy City. Even if he overstates some of his technical arguments, though, what he reveals about the connections between the scientists who came out so strongly against the "lab created" theory and their ties to the Wuhan clinic make it difficult for laymen like me to take their arguments at face value, especially given the way they dissembled some of the facts.

Also, for a laymen like me, just the fact that the point of origin for the virus was the city where this lab operates is itself mildly suspicious. There is a lot of evidence in this article that the experts in the field haven't been forthright with the facts. One need not be a conspiracy theorist to recognize that, and that evidence remains despite potential counterarguments to some more technical arguments in the article.
buffalo chip
S
Interesting find.

What I find more compelling than the scientific debate about origins is the simple matter of coincidence. The most likely animal source for transmission to humans that I have heard about is bats, and the region that has bats that carry this type of virus is more than 500 miles from Wuhan. The laboratory that has been the focus of the human sourcing of the virus is actually located in Wuhan. And, it actually works on SARS-type coronaviruses. And, it does so at a BSL-2 safety level, which was described as about the same level of safety as a dentist office.

Couple this with the funding source of the Wuhan lab experiments on SARS-like viruses.... Two of the three American scientists who were involved with the funding have been very public in their dismissal of the lab-source as a tin foil hat conspiracy theory. And, Fauci is one of those two...

Coincidence?
buffalo chip
S
I was typing while you were publishing...

Well said!
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Also, for a laymen like me, just the fact that the point of origin for the virus was the city where this lab operates is itself mildly suspicious. There is a lot of evidence in this article that the experts in the field haven't been forthright with the facts. One need not be a conspiracy theorist to recognize that, and that evidence remains despite potential counterarguments to some more technical arguments in the article.
I think all of the above is true. I can't fathom how you can just rule out some man made angle by 24 hours of thought. A better approach would have been to weigh the two scenarios and come up with the most probable based on the evidence available.

Ultimately, I think any grand conclusion is going to by stymied by a lack of disclosure on the part of the Chinese government. They don't have to be behind something incredibly nefarious to want to avoid investigation. That entity is not big on criticism and reform in general.
94chem
I predict that eventually history will show Fauci's actions and judgments to be heavily compromised by conflicts of interest, perhaps both foreign and domestic.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

I think all of the above is true. I can't fathom how you can just rule out some man made angle by 24 hours of thought. A better approach would have been to weigh the two scenarios and come up with the most probable based on the evidence available.

Ultimately, I think any grand conclusion is going to by stymied by a lack of disclosure on the part of the Chinese government. They don't have to be behind something incredibly nefarious to want to avoid investigation. That entity is not big on criticism and reform in general.
Agree. I have a Ph.D. in chemistry, but I am a layperson with respect to this area of science. However, I have participated in many root cause investigations, and my training in logic is heavily rooted in Occam's Razor, which tells us that the simplest explanation is most likely correct. In the case of Covid, the simplest explanation was ruled out with lightning-fast alacrity. That stinks to high heaven in every area of science.
94chem,
cone
AG
lab leak theory not withstanding

why the early propaganda videos coming out of Iran and China of people dropping dead in the subway?

I mean I guess I understand FUD to screw up OODA loops but you would have thought our intelligence services actually knew what was up in real time
P.U.T.U
AG
cone said:

lab leak theory not withstanding

why the early propaganda videos coming out of Iran and China of people dropping dead in the subway?

I mean I guess I understand FUD to screw up OODA loops but you would have thought our intelligence services actually knew what was up in real time
This is a long political discussion IMO, the declining birth rates, economy, tariffs, sanctions, of several powerful nations and how they play the long game play a part. Overplay what is actually going on to make the West shut down. Iran already came out and said they were surprised we shut down to the point where we did and for so long.
94chem
P.U.T.U said:

It should be discussed on if it was lab made for safety/inspection reasons so it does not happen again. The USA and Chinese CDC departments have worked together for years (with a lot of US funding) so if they are not following proper protocol things need to change.

Then it comes on whether we should be trying to come up with more dangerous diseases in hope of saving the lives in the future. The 1972 Biological Weapons Convention banned "Never under any circumstances to develop, produce, stockpile, acquire, or retain biological weapons". Technically several nations like USA, Russia, Iran, and China are not following this, one of the provisions is if something does get released the country where it came from has to assist those where it spread. In other words China should be responsible, monetary and other assistance, to pretty much every other country in the world.

Almost all countries are not better off than they were pre-Covid and no one has held China responsible. Did they release it on purpose or did it somehow escape? This is worth looking into. I think we all know China will lie and do anything they can to look innocent but I would be for putting the pressure on them in hopes of this not happening again.

This is where the blackmail issues with Fauci could be hiding. We help China with their cover-up, and they agree not to tell everybody what we've got in our labs. Conflict of interest all over the place when you're playing cloak and dagger.

Quid pro quo, Clarice.
94chem,
Bonfire1996
AG
The only explanation to China recovering so quickly, and having the confidence to do so, is that they already knew everything there is the know about the virus.

Their vaccine is likely not a vaccine, but rather an actual cure.
P.U.T.U
AG
Bonfire1996 said:

The only explanation to China recovering so quickly, and having the confidence to do so, is that they already knew everything there is the know about the virus.

Which is why the countries that are getting the Chinese vaccine are still getting Covid...
P.U.T.U
AG
And now evidence that 3 workers at the Wuhan lab wen to the hospital in November 2019. China and the US CDC are supposed to share information but China has been silent for well over a year now. At this time we need to act like China is responsible for it and pressure them. As of April 2020 they did admit they were short staffed and needed more funding (funny how a country that prints money more than we do and has several empty, newly built cities is asking for money from the USA).

3 workers sick with what?

But in the end we will never know, most countries, including the USA, have stopped any investigations into the cause in the past few months Money talks
plain_o_llama
Besides the virus origins angle there are some possible parallel storylines.

One is why the US was funding Chinese virus research.

Another is the question of whether the Chinese were "acquiring" Western research thru a mix of academic funding, shady knowledge transfers, and outright smuggling.

Some have suggested the Chinese have spread around so much money in Western capitals, media, and academia, that few with knowledge of what is going on are clean enough to blow the whistle.

note the dates of the following links

Mystery surrounds ouster of Chinese researchers from Canadian laboratory
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/07/mystery-surrounds-ouster-chinese-researchers-canadian-laboratory

Canadian lab immersed in RCMP probe sent Ebola and another deadly virus to China: health agency
https://nationalpost.com/news/canadian-lab-immersed-in-rcmp-probe-sent-ebola-and-another-deadly-virus-to-china-health-agency

Harvard University Professor and Two Chinese Nationals Charged in Three Separate China Related Cases
https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/pr/harvard-university-professor-and-two-chinese-nationals-charged-three-separate-china

U.S. Probes tu Links to Chinese Lab Scrutinized Over Coronavirus
https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3109911/replies/56479996

I think it is a reasonable to ask whether China bought billions of research by directing millions to certain Western players.

And it is always interesting to watch which "side" the media leap to defend. Consider these weasel words from over a year ago

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/01/coronavirus-wasnt-sent-by-spy-from-canada/

YMMV
cone
AG
Quote:

their vaccine barely works
P.U.T.U
AG
UNC and China created a coronavirus from bats in 2015, they may not have stolen anything since they were part of the study. Five years later and presto, Covid 19 that "jumped" from bats.

2015 UNC coronavirus from bats
500,000ags
AG
[Wrong forum to post political comments. Please post such posts over on Politics Forum. - Staff]
eric76
AG
The title of the thread doesn't seem to be accurate. After all, The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists is hardly a peer reviewed research journal.
nortex97
AG
More;

Quote:

Dalgleish and Srensen claim that scientists working on Gain of Function projects took a natural coronavirus 'backbone' found in Chinese cave bats and spliced onto it a new 'spike', turning it into the deadly and highly transmissible SARS-Cov-2.

One tell-tale sign of alleged manipulation the two men highlighted was a row of four amino acids they found on the SARS-Cov-2 spike.

In an exclusive interview with DailyMail.com, Srensen said the amino acids all have a positive charge, which cause the virus to tightly cling to the negatively charged parts of human cells like a magnet, and so become more infectious.

But because, like magnets, the positively charged amino acids repel each other, it is rare to find even three in a row in naturally occurring organisms, while four in a row is 'extremely unlikely,' the scientist said.

'The laws of physics mean that you cannot have four positively charged amino acids in a row. The only way you can get this is if you artificially manufacture it,' Dalgleish told DailyMail.com.

Quote:

Dalgleish is a professor of oncology at St George's University,London, and is best known for his breakthrough creating the first working 'HIV vaccine', to treat diagnosed patients and allow them to go off medication for months.

Srensen, a virologist, is chair of pharmaceutical company, Immunor, which developed a coronavirus vaccine candidate called Biovacc-19. Dalgleish also has share options in the firm.

The shocking allegations in the study include accusations of 'deliberate destruction, concealment or contamination of data' at Chinese labs, and it notes the silencing and disappearance of scientists in the communist country who spoke out.

The journal article, exclusively obtained by DailyMail.com and slated for publication in the coming days, is set to make waves among the scientific community, as the majority of experts have until recently staunchly denied the origins of COVID-19 were anything other than a natural infection leaping from animals to humans.

Now, Dalgleish and Srensen have authored a new study, which concludes that 'SARS-Coronavirus-2 has no credible natural ancestor' and that it is 'beyond reasonable doubt' that the virus was created through 'laboratory manipulation'.

In the 22-page paper which is set to be published in the scientific journal Quarterly Review of Biophysics Discovery, the scientists describe their months-long 'forensic analysis', looking back at experiments done at the Wuhan lab between 2002 and 2019.

Quote:

In another striking claim contained in the research paper, Dalgleish and Srensen say they have evidence that after the pandemic began, Chinese scientists took samples of the COVID-19 virus and 'retro-engineered' it, making it appear as if it had evolved naturally.

They said they were suspicious of a raft of new strains suddenly entered into gene databases by predominantly Chinese scientists early in 2020, years after they were recorded as being collected.

'We think that there have been retro-engineered viruses created,' Dalgleish told DailyMail.com. 'They've changed the virus, then tried to make out it was in a sequence years ago.'
buffalo chip
S
That, IMO, is absolutely the most horrifying conclusion that I have heard of the origins of COVID19. The authors clearly believe that there was an intentional coverup. It is not hard to believe that the Chinese efforts to shut down travel within China while doing nothing about international travel, was an intentional act. The question is was this, from its inception, an act of biological warfare?
Bucketrunner
I believe more and more of us are seeing the biological warfare aspect of the releasing of the virus. The question then becomes, what will be the consequences ? We have a government afraid of its own shadow who won't have the stomach to hold China responsible. This is where an effective United Nations should step in - - who am I kidding? We know they're just a way to elicit money from the US taxpayer.
DeWrecking Crew
buffalo chip said:

That, IMO, is absolutely the most horrifying conclusion that I have heard of the origins of COVID19. The authors clearly believe that there was an intentional coverup. It is not hard to believe that the Chinese efforts to shut down travel within China while doing nothing about international travel, was an intentional act. The question is was this, from its inception, an act of biological warfare?

Trump and his administration (joined by other countries) were pretty tough on the CCP...the CCP stopping domestic flights but not international, was this a warning shot? The coverup olympics by the CCP sure makes it suspicious.
buffalo chip
S
DeWrecking Crew said:

buffalo chip said:

Trump and his administration (joined by other countries) were pretty tough on the CCP...the CCP stopping domestic flights but not international, was this a warning shot? The coverup olympics by the CCP sure makes it suspicious.
Although he should be heralded for taking such a relatively early and tough stance on international travel, Trump's decision was a reaction to China's failure to act. China failed to act, seemingly intentionally, so Trump reacted (and Biden agreed, months after he called Trump a racist for banning travel to and from China).

I feel like if the lab leak had happened in the mainland USA, Trump would have acted both domestically and internationally to protect the USA and the world.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.