If you have a choice between all 3...which one do you choose?

7,834 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BamaAggies
NomadicAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I understand the most important thing is just go get one, but they are now widely enough available that I am able to choose.

Given the information available today, and anecdotally from people we all know....if you could choose just one, which one would you choose and why?
jopatura
AG
I was happy with Pfizer.

Moderna has weird side effects. Everyone I know getting Moderna has been knocked on their ass. Pfizer is about 50/50 and it's mostly arm stuff.

I think J&J is most useful for the young adult crowd who may not be arsed to come back for a second shot, but I'd be weary taking it if I was vulnerable or had a lot of exposure like a nurse or teacher.

(This is just my thoughts on it, I don't have articles to back up how I went with it. This is the impression I've gotten over the past few months).
erube
AG
jopatura said:

I was happy with Pfizer.

Moderna has weird side effects. Everyone I know getting Moderna has been knocked on their ass. Pfizer is about 50/50 and it's mostly arm stuff.

I think J&J is most useful for the young adult crowd who may not be arsed to come back for a second shot, but I'd be weary taking it if I was vulnerable or had a lot of exposure like a nurse or teacher.

(This is just my thoughts on it, I don't have articles to back up how I went with it. This is the impression I've gotten over the past few months).
The main reason I'd choose Pfizer is 3 weeks instead of 4. Although anecdotally in my circle, Pfizer seems to have less side effects, but some of the people I know who got Moderna had no noticeable side effects beyond a sore arm, slight tiredness, slight headache..shot 2 seems to be worse than shot 1.
NomadicAggie
AG
Interesting. So by extension would you prefer J&J over both the other since it's only one shot and then nothing else?
AggieOO
most people i know got moderna. i was the only one that had any ill effects and they were pretty minimal. Wife got pfizer and hand zero issues with either shot. If I had the choice, I'd go Pfizer for the shorter timeline than moderna and higher potential efficacy than J&J.
RockOn
I took whatever was available to me the at the earliest time available.
ORAggieFan
J&J is my preference and getting it today.
Duncan Idaho
If I am higher risk but living a life where I am not too worried about getting infected, I'd get the pfizer because I think the historical data for vaccines points to efficacy of boosters

If I am not higher risk and/or yoloing it or living with someone that is yoloing it, J&J because it is one and done and if the data changed I can always get a booster
amercer
AG
All things being equal I'd choose Pfizer. But the differences are really on the margins. The three approved in the US are great. I think AZ is equally good, but unlikely to ever escape what seems to be some sort of a voodoo hex. The Russian one probably works fine. I'd have a lot less faith in the Chinese ones.
AgResearch
AG
Pfizer
erube
AG
NomadicAggie said:

Interesting. So by extension would you prefer J&J over both the other since it's only one shot and then nothing else?
no, lower efficacy numbers.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Given what we know at present, probably Pfizer.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
None.
14TheRoad
AG
D) None of the above.

Final Answer
NomadicAggie
AG
So what drives you to come onto a page specifically about vaccines to tell everyone you're not taking it? Are you confused about the title of the thread?

Don't take it. I don't care. Your decision. Just not clear why you stalk a page that doesn't concern you to tell us something that doesn't matter to anyone actually reading this?
KlinkerAg11
AG
Seems like Pfizer is the best of the 3, both from coverage and symptoms.

I think moderna covers you just as well as the Pfizer, but you have more side effects.

That being said, I got the moderna vaccine because It's what was available to me at the time. Getting my second shot in a couple days.
AggieAuditor
AG
NomadicAggie said:

So what drives you to come onto a page specifically about vaccines to tell everyone you're not taking it? Are you confused about the title of the thread?

Don't take it. I don't care. Your decision. Just not clear why you stalk a page that doesn't concern you to tell us something that doesn't matter to anyone actually reading this?
I think it makes people feel tough. The good news is that most of will get the vaccine so they won't have to. They can continue bragging about not getting it, we'll get it and be perfectly fine, and the world gets to go back to normal. It's a win for everyone.
PJYoung
AG
Quote:

So what drives you to come onto a page specifically about vaccines to tell everyone you're not taking it?

Emotional immaturity? Just spit balling here.
Unemployed
AG
NomadicAggie said:

They crave the attention and want to let people know how they're not sheep like the people who wants to get the vaccine.
Rubble
AG
Got my second Pfizer shot this morning. Only side effect so far is a sore arm, but not near as sore as the first shot. Who knows what tomorrow brings though.
Aust Ag
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Good to know.

I'll probably get mine by the end of May, but I like the idea of knowing just a little more, which I will by June 1. Not as much as we will know 1-5 years from now, but I'll take what I can get.

Oh, why June 1? That's the time it sounds like they'll want us back in the office, after heavily suggesting this week we get the vaccine before coming back.
Aust Ag
AG
I do think it's kind of funny, that we are "picking" which manufacturer we'll use. I'll bet 95% of us can't name the company that made the last shot you took. I know I can't, and didn't care. Now, we care.
Rubble
AG
No idea who made the flu shot I got in the fall or the tdap shot I got 4 years ago...

I also have no clue who made the 4 shots (times 2) that my 4 year old twins got last week, but that was fun...NOT
ursusguy
AG
I would have preferred J&J for the simplicity of logistics, but get Moderna #2 next Friday. Have to drive to Terrell, but Kaufman County had there act together.
Fitch
AG
Took the first available which happened to be Moderna, which I preferred anyway. I know a few folks who were holding out for Pfizer for fear of side effects, which I guess I get, but in reality a few hours of being tired or a day of discomfort that evidences you have a strong immune response seems like not a big deal.

Just get the dang shot, whatever is first available. Ready to be done with this whole thing.
Aston94
AG
I got Moderna, both shots, no real side effects other than sore arm and a bit of a headache after second shot. But if the place I had gotten the shot was offering Pfizer or J&J would have taken them too. Just want us all to get shots in arms so we can put this all in the rear view mirror.
Gordo14
AggieAuditor said:

NomadicAggie said:

I think it makes people feel tough. The good news is that most of will get the vaccine so they won't have to. They can continue bragging about not getting it, we'll get it and be perfectly fine, and the world gets to go back to normal. It's a win for everyone.

They're too scared to get the shot. The opposite of tough.
Dad
AG
I would get Pfizer or Moderna. The evidence points to them working better and people that know more than me say the two shot vaccine will likely last longer.
14TheRoad
AG
NomadicAggie said:

Besides providing another option I'm not sure what drove me to add a comment to a message board. I'll leave now so the group think can continue unhindered.
Hodor
AG
The hospital where I predominantly work offered Pfizer in the first wave, so I know a ton of people who got that one, and a lot had the expected side effects.
The (fewer) people I know who got moderna didn't have any side effects.
I'm convinced that the difference in side effects between the two is probably negligible.
AG
Same here. Had a very sore arm after the first shot for about 24 hours. 2nd shot only slight soreness that didn't last as long and no side effects.
Gordo14
Hodor said:

The hospital where I predominantly work offered Pfizer in the first wave, so I know a ton of people who got that one, and a lot had the expected side effects.
The (fewer) people I know who got moderna didn't have any side effects.
I'm convinced that the difference in side effects between the two is probably negligible.

Theoretically the difference between the Moderna and Pfizer shots is probably negligible.
RockOn
Aust Ag said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Good to know.

I'll probably get mine by the end of May, but I like the idea of knowing just a little more, which I will by June 1. Not as much as we will know 1-5 years from now, but I'll take what I can get.

Oh, why June 1? That's the time it sounds like they'll want us back in the office, after heavily suggesting this week we get the vaccine before coming back.
The Moderna shot has been in use since March 2020 so really we're already in your "1 year from now" category.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/health/coronavirus-vaccine.html
KidDoc
AG
I would seek Moderna or Pfizer. I have no confidence that the J&J single shot will last for any significant duration as there is no other single dose vaccine that lasts > 5 years.

Moderna shot #2 kicked my ass for a day but I'm ok with that. I actually think it is a good symptom as it shows your immune system is kicking into gear and hopefully will give long and strong immunity.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
P.U.T.U
AG
I was going to say if you are young and healthy J&J but I am not a doctor like KidDoc so my opinion is moot. Just easier to get one shot and be done with it
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.