Rolling waves of vaccine shot #2 symptoms

20,397 Views | 167 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by oragator
BANA89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well I think I'm out of the worst part of the second Covid vaccine shot from yesterday morning 25 hours in, my shoulder is still really sore, but rolling headaches, jaw aches, rib aches, hip aches was surpassed by waking up with cold chills at 1am, I couldn't shake them with the fan off and blankets and quilt doubled up. That was the worst but passed in about an hour or so, but symptoms seem to change every 30-45 mins.

Sort of feels like the vaccine components are moving around my body and an immune system battle ensues and they get chased off to another area.

So I've got many of the symptoms I had read about, but not the rolling 30-45 waves of changing symptoms, that's been a surprise. My sore shoulder has been the only consistent issue since the shot, but those chills were miserable. Really thankful that I should be out of the woods versus weeks of this from having Covid itself.
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
Trucker 96
Moderna?
BANA89
AG
Fore Left! said:

Moderna?
Yes Moderna (given at Brazos Center)
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
The Fall Guy
AG
Get my 2nd Pfizer shot in 2 weeks. No one that I know that has had the second shot from them have had any major issues.

But Moderna. Damn!!!
RangerRick9211
AG
I got my second Moderna on Wednesday at lunch.

I felt fine through the night but woke up to cold sweats and chills at midnight. I feel like I shook myself into a headache and finally decided to take some Tylenol.

Felt fine in the morning, low grade fever and sustained headache, but had some work calls to take. By noon I was smoked. 103F and I couldn't shake the headache. I was alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen every 6 hours, but didn't seem to help. I went to bed around 4 and felt fine by Friday morning.

I had no issues with the first shot. Weekends I usually log 150 miles on the bike, but was noticably more tired and quite all rides early Sat and today. I guess I'm still recovering.
Brutal Puffin
AG
I felt fine day/night I got the second Moderna injection. Woke up the following morning feeling poorly. Progressively worse through the day. About 4 PM I told the wife to call the undertaker for a sizing. Went to bed about 7 PM. Felt much better the next morning and was 100% by noon with one exception. I had no taste or smell until 4 days after the shot.
Newoldarmy
AG
All very typical reactions to Moderna we've seen in our county.

We've also had a few people with a secondary round of feeling poorly with fever a few days or a week later, but it passes quicker than the first set of reactions.

Most people that have these primary reactions about 6-12 hours after the second injection with resolution in about 48 hours. Some will go to three days.

It will be interesting to see over the long term if the Moderna vaccine is any more effective because of the immunity it provides after these strong reactions or if we're better off just doing the Pfizer and not being sick for a couple of days.
The Fall Guy
AG
If both provide antibodies why would anybody take the Moderna shot??
DadHammer
AG
Wife had both moderna shots.

All she had was a sore shoulder for about 24 hours. That was it. I guess she was one of the lucky ones.
BowSowy
AG
The Fall Guy said:

If both provide antibodies why would anybody take the Moderna shot??
Up until now, there hasn't really been an option to pick what shot you're going to get. Plus, a lot of times you just sign up for a slot and have no clue which one you're getting until you arrive.
Cepe
AG
Interesting. I had all the normal symptoms with my first Moderna shot.

The second one about 6 hours in I got a severe head cold (runny eyes and stopped up nose). By morning it was a light head cold and by that evening nothing.

Two completely different experiences.

I expect that if I get exposed to COVID now it would be like the second experience and over in 24 hours.
Charpie
AG
The worst thing that I experienced with Moderna was I felt like my head was being SQUEEZED in a vice. It was awful. But other than that, I was OK
texag84
AG
I was lucky - 2nd Moderna and only sore arm (real sore)

Capitol Ag
AG
Pfizer shots here. Since my parents both had Pfizer, I went with that one as the side effects seem nil. I did feel off the day after the first shot. But I was achy, nauseous and drained after the 2nd shot that next evening. Then I was fine. The soreness I felt from the shots in my arm was no worse than what I get with the flu vaccine. Even trained shoulders the next day pretty heavy after the first shot. But I am pretty used to being sore a lot since I train often. Actually lifting seemed to loosen it up. But had a lifting buddy who's shoulder was really sore so who knows. I can say that the way I felt for the 2nd shot was similar to how I felt with Covid on the worst day. Tired and achy. No fever. Just like with Covid. And just like with Covid, felt a lot better the next day.
The Shank Ag
Moderna #2 hours 12 to 48 kicked my ass with headache/body aches/brain fog
Jetty
AG
Did fine first 24 hours after 2nd Moderna... then felt Very lethargic, fuzzy headed, maybe slight feverish and now 3 days later I found I have a swollen lymph node under my arm where I got the shot. Very glad to be vaccinated!
GE
AG
Anyone else reconsidering getting the second Moderna?
Newoldarmy
AG
I had Covid and will get both shots when it's my time.

I'll take a three day flu over the last three months of this crap. I'm down to left arm and shoulder joint pain and increasingly infrequent bouts of vertigo, fatigue, and just feeling unwell.

I don't ever want to have this **** again.
Charpie
AG
After seeing a friend, a friends husband, numbers friends parents and the like die from covid, I have no problem dealing with my headache of two days.
SpringAg92
Newoldarmy said:

I had Covid and will get both shots when it's my time.

I'll take a three day flu over the last three months of this crap. I'm down to left arm and shoulder joint pain and increasingly infrequent bouts of vertigo, fatigue, and just feeling unwell.

I don't ever want to have this **** again.

This. I was diagnosed mid December, but am still dealing with some of the after effects.

Got my first Pfizer vaccine a few days ago. Thankfully, no real issues to speak of.
Tex117
AG
Got my first shot of Moderna yesterday around noon. Last night, sucked. Felt like I had the flu. Bad chills, achy, sweats, couldn't sleep.

I'm a bit better this morning. Now just light headed, feels like a low fever.
agsalaska
AG
I had my first Moderna shot 15 days ago and other than the typical sore arm from a shot I felt fine. I get my second on the 31st.

What are the odds people have bad reactions to the 2nd shot? Is it most people, a few people, half the people?
PerpetualLurker
CDC has some tables on it.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/moderna/reactogenicity.html
agsalaska
AG
Thanks.

Looks like a lot of people.

I Can't wait.
SVaggie84
AG
Where do you live? I only know a few that have been hospitalized: a friend from my Bible study and a facebook friend from high school.

My 89 year old mom doesn't know anyone who has died or hospitalized.

I moved from Silicon Valley to NW Arkansas. My mom is in Dallas.

I'm guessing if you lived in an area that was hard hit.
Charpie
AG
I live in Austin. I'm from the Valley. My friends and family down there were hit really hard. The friend's husband, however, was from Houston.
chilimuybueno
AG
I received Moderna vax. No issues with either dose other than slight soreness at point of injection.
74OA
AG
Got Pfizer #2 last Tuesday. Like #1, no issues except for mild soreness/heat at injection point.
erube
AG
I got Moderna shot 2 yesterday. I use a Garmin Forerunner 945, which has a body battery feature and stress. Body Battery is based on heart rate variablilty.

After shot 1, I had tenderness at injection site and slight headache. My body battery showed a high amount of stress after shot 1, similar to what I would see after a hard cycling workout (but I hadn't done one that night). It was largely recovered by the time I woke up.

After shot 2, I did do a hard cycling workout about 4 hours after my shot. Have the same symptoms (tenderness at injection site and slight headache). Body battery has continued to decline overnight amid high stress levels..so clearly something is happening. I also took my temperature and its up ~1 degree F from usual 97 to 98.
oldflyer
AG
Moderna #2 was slightly worse than #1. The side effects from both shots were very, very minor. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Txgunrnnr
AG
First dose of Moderna was on March 1st, just a sore arm. Second dose will be on March 29th, don't know what to expect.
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
cc_ag92
AG
It's crazy to me how different places have been impacted so differently. I live in Collin County, so near Dallas, but not exactly Dallas.
I have an elderly aunt who died in east Texas.
A friend's 48yo uncle (no underlying conditions) died in McKinney. A 44yo male friend (no underlying conditions) has been hospitalized since late November, intubated, on ECMO, in ICU, much of that time. He moved to rehab last week! SO grateful
A teacher in one of the local high schools was hospitalized for several weeks in December, I believe. I don't know if he has been able to return to work yet. I'm not friends with him, but both of my kids had him and were very worried about his recovery.
My parents have multiple friends who were hospitalized and several who died. They, of course, were old enough to have multiple underlying conditions.
AgLA06
AG
Tex117 said:

Got my first shot of Moderna yesterday around noon. Last night, sucked. Felt like I had the flu. Bad chills, achy, sweats, couldn't sleep.

I'm a bit better this morning. Now just light headed, feels like a low fever.

This was me after shot 1 plus 101 fever and stomach issues. It was a 2 day issue with fatigue on day 3 for me.

Everything I read is you want some reaction on shot 2 as that is a confirmation your body has immunity built up. If you have it for shot 1, you most likely had COVID or a large enough exposure to build resistance.
bkdag
S
2nd dose of Pfizer yesterday at 9:45. Started feeling bad last night around 10pm. I've had fever(reached 102.5) body aches and chills all day today. I do feel like I'm starting to get better tonight though.

Update: my lymph nodes in my arm pit became swollen for about 2 days. Everything that I've been told is that that's sort of a good thing.
Ragoo
AG
I sweat through my sheets three times and generally felt like an 80 year old man the following day. Day 2 I was nearly perfect. No issues since. That was January 30. Very very small price to pay for peace of mind.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.