Malignant hyperthermia in a COVID patient.....

4,420 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Knucklesammich
Marcus Aurelius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought I'd share this sad but interesting case to see if anyone has any input/experience. I have had a very sick 56 y/o male with covid. 10 days in. Intubated. Max vent 100% FIO2 doing poorly. Suddenly - two days ago - he spikes a temp of 108 deg F!! Concomitantly, he develops acute renal failure (Cr 0.8 to 3.9), shock, severe hypercarbia (CO2 50s to 95). Meds included propofol, precedex and fentanyl due to severe psychomotor agitation. Vancomycin for strep mitis bacteremia, and the usual covid meds. No volatile anesthetics/gas, no succinycholine, no antipsychotics or other offending agents seen with MH.

Anywany, inexorably, over next 24 hrs temps remain 107-108. Dantrolene is given with no effect. Cooling blankets. Propopfol and precedex are stopped. Head CT neg. Progressive shock and renal failure continue. He passed last night. No autopsy.

CK was 1000. +myoglobulinuria.

This pattern is classic MH. I don't think the bacterial infection caused this. Is covid related? If so - how? Has anyone seen a fever this high with cytokine storm?

Propofol syndrome? Maybe but I have not seen temps that high with it.

I thought about adrenal apoplexy, but we were'nt able to get an abd CT.

He may have had the autosomal dominant mutation described in MH pts of the ryanodine receptor (rare) but who knows.

A mystery. As is so often the case in medicine. And covid makes it harder to understand.
bay fan
S
56, so sad. Way too much life missed by this man. Sorry Dr. Marcus.
KidDoc
AG
I agree with your instincts. Sure looks like MH, odd & sad case.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Write it up!

Otherwise I'm not going to be any help
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Squadron7
AG
Sorry, to have to ask...but what is MH?
88planoAg
AG
clue is in thread title
Squadron7
AG
88planoAg said:

clue is in thread title

Oh.....that MH.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Any clonus on exam or on any SSRIs or meds besides fentanyl that might contribute to serotonin syndrome? Otherwise sounds like probably someone that is susceptible to malignant hyperthermia that developed it due to a systemic infection which can be a trigger. How bad was their muscle rigidity? Dantrolene, which in my experience with the few NMS and MH cases I have seen, tends to be most effective when severe muscle rigidity is present, otherwise, doesn't seem to have much effect.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
No SSRIs. Muscle rigidity plus / minus. I examined him day one but wasn't able to day two.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Did he have high potassium while it happened?

Question after reading the MH Wikipedia page
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Yes
KidDoc
AG
Shai-Hulud said:

Did he have high potassium while it happened?

Question after reading the MH Wikipedia page

That is usually due to the muscle cells blowing up.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Is ECMO an effective treatment when all other options have been pursued?
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Just saw a case similar to this a few days ago. My hospital's intensivist was run thin, so I offered assistance fielding some of their calls given our ER is right next to our ICU. I get a call that one of their patients appears to be about to code. I walk in to see her core temp is 110.5 F, her a-line has clotted off, and they are unable to get a blood pressure but has a palpable pulse, despite being on levo and vaso already. Unable to assess muscle rigidity as she is on a vec drip. Her sats have been between 60-80% the entire day despite being on 100% FiO2, maxed out on peep, proned, and receiving inhaled NO. They considered her for ECMO the day prior, but she was considered to be a poor candidate due to her obesity.

I had the nurses start the ArticSun cooling system and grab as many buckets of ice water as they could. We did cool water bladder lavage, gastric lavage, ice packs in axilla and groin, basically poured buckets of ice water on the patient to assist with evaporative cooling, but unfortunately the hospital refused to provide fans to assist in evaporative cooling efforts due to infection control issues, and the entire unit was a balmy 85F due to the AC being turned off to prevent the possibility of aerosolization of COVID into the vent system, so we basically had myself and 4 nurses fanning this patient by hand.

The best we could do was get her temp down to 107F despite all our efforts. My presumption regarding the pathophysiology, at least for my case was that this was probably due to anoxic brain injury leading to disruption of the thermoregulation center of the hypothalamus.

The patient ended up passing later that evening despite a heroic effort from those caring for her. She was only 36.
McKinney Ag
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Just saw a case similar to this a few days ago. My hospital's intensivist was run thin, so I offered assistance fielding some of their calls given our ER is right next to our ICU. I get a call that one of their patients appears to be about to code. I walk in to see her core temp is 110.5 F, her a-line has clotted off, and they are unable to get a blood pressure but has a palpable pulse, despite being on levo and vaso already. Unable to assess muscle rigidity as she is on a vec drip. Her sats have been between 60-80% the entire day despite being on 100% FiO2, maxed out on peep, proned, and receiving inhaled NO. They considered her for ECMO the day prior, but she was considered to be a poor candidate due to her obesity.

I had the nurses start the ArticSun cooling system and grab as many buckets of ice water as they could. We did cool water bladder lavage, gastric lavage, ice packs in axilla and groin, basically poured buckets of ice water on the patient to assist with evaporative cooling, but unfortunately the hospital refused to provide fans to assist in evaporative cooling efforts due to infection control issues, and the entire unit was a balmy 85F due to the AC being turned off to prevent the possibility of aerosolization of COVID into the vent system, so we basically had myself and 4 nurses fanning this patient by hand.

The best we could do was get her temp down to 107F despite all our efforts. My presumption regarding the pathophysiology, at least for my case was that this was probably due to anoxic brain injury leading to disruption of the thermoregulation center of the hypothalamus.

The patient ended up passing later that evening despite a heroic effort from those caring for her. She was only 36.
So thankful there are people like you and that team out there fighting for every inch under unimaginable conditions.
Varmintcong50
Could I get some clarification on what y'all are saying.

Is it COVID is causing MH type symptoms, or it's triggering MH?

I have a family history of MH, so I'm curious.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I'm not quite convinced this is the same pathophysiology as classic MH.
Knucklesammich
This sounds horrific, in awe of the fight medical professionals do pandemic or otherwise in these situations.

Explain it to me like I'm 5, what is MH?
bones75
AG
Anything in common between these two patients? Did they have prior covid history, prior vax, recent surgery? Worth reporting to see if this is becoming "a thing".
TxAg05
AG
Malignant Hyperthermia(MH) is a reaction to common medications that are used to either help keep you asleep during surgery(anesthesia) or help put a breathing tube in. The reaction generally starts during the surgery while those medications are being used. Reaction can include elevated temperature, muscle tightening, elevated heart rate, and altered labs among other things. Unrecognized and untreated it can be fatal. It is genetic in nature and if you have family members with the disease you should always discuss this with your anesthesiologist.

The initial case has some similarities to MH but no obvious medications were used that can cause MH. Unclear what medication was used for intubation in that case but the reaction seems rather delayed to be associated either way.
Knucklesammich
Thanks, learn something everyday.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.