An important milestone was reached today

3,526 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MouthBQ98
Not a Bot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Today marks the day that more people have now received at least one dose of a vaccine than have been confirmed infected with the virus.

26.5 million Americans have received at least one dose of vaccine. 26.3 million Americans have tested positive for Covid since the beginning of the outbreak.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/536868-bloomberg-more-americans-have-received-at-least-one-dose-of-covid-19
Aggie95
AG
excellent news
RockOn
wow thats awesome
OKC~Ag
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2021/02/01/texas-motor-speedway-mega-site-will-give-10000-covid-19-vaccines-per-day-in-16-drive-through-lanes/

awesome new...

Denton county will vaccinate 10,000 per day this week @ TMS for 3 days...
probably the largest vaccination program ever...
DCAggie13y
AG
Case counts in the US are plummeting. Down 50% from the peak 3 weeks ago. This thing will effectively be gone by the Spring at the current rate.
Aggie95
AG
not to mention the spring weather will help as it did last year.
Not a Bot
AG
Hopefully the trends continue. We are at about 60% of our peak number but ICU still stressed.

Osterholm seems to think there will be another big surge starting in a few weeks due to variants. We shall see.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210128/experts-say-u-s-entering-darkest-weeks-of-pandemic
KlinkerAg11
AG
The problem with guys like this is that when/if they are wrong no one makes them follow up on it.

I'm pretty sure him and another guy (hotez, maybe?)have been wrong about more of their doom than they've been right about.
nortex97
AG
There were around 300,000 excess deaths vs. 2019 in the US for 2020 (somewhere around 3.2 million total). If you took out the people killed by the actions of Cuomo et al. in nursing homes, it would only be around 150K. The pandemic is largely over at this point is the great news.

There's little reason to believe fear mongering about a big surge due to variants after ILI season concludes, imho.
BadMoonRisin
AG
It's crazy to think about just over a year from when this thing started we would not only have a vaccine, but have 26M people that have received it so far. I know there are grumbles about how vaccine rollouts have been, but this really is a miracle.
I know I ain't leavin' you like I know He ain't leavin' us
I know we believe in God and I know God believes in us
beerad12man
AG
Cactus Jack said:

Hopefully the trends continue. We are at about 60% of our peak number but ICU still stressed.

Osterholm seems to think there will be another big surge starting in a few weeks due to variants. We shall see.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210128/experts-say-u-s-entering-darkest-weeks-of-pandemic

Wouldn't the vaccines at least give you partial protection against the variants? Meaning yes, there might still be some infections, but the severity of it lower?

KlinkerAg11
AG
For sure, this issue is we look at covid through a soda straw.

IMO it's always been about turning this into the flu, not eradicating it.

Once you're vaccinated for covid and mount an immune response your chances of severe covid are slim to none.

It's like it's shocking to people when people still get covid even after getting vaccinated.

So, if you're goal it to completely get rid of covid, you have reason to always be afraid.
GAC06
AG
The vaccines are effective against all known variants
amercer
AG
KlinkerAg11 said:

The problem with guys like this is that when/if they are wrong no one makes them follow up on it.

I'm pretty sure him and another guy (hotez, maybe?)have been wrong about more of their doom than they've been right about.

And so we're all the guys saying this would burn out by August or that we wouldn't even need a vaccine by Christmas because we'd be at herd immunity already.

Unfortunately the pessimists have been more right than not for the last year. My hope is that coming down off the holiday peak + vaccine rollout means that we won't see another peak, but I'm done with hopeful predictions.
KlinkerAg11
AG
But the herd immunity burnout guys are on message boards, not in the medias ear.

I agree with you that both extremes have been wrong, but this kind of talk is dangerous and frankly wrong.

amercer
AG
I don't think there's anything particularly wrong about saying that new variants might cause another surge. It's already happened in other countries.

I think it's more problematic to tell people they still have to mask up and social distance after they are vaccinated. Because that's going to really hurt enthusiasm for getting vaccinated amongst the masses.
KlinkerAg11
AG
My problem with these doom and gloom messages is two fold.

1. When its always bad and we are always dead, people will stop listening to you. It's like the boy who cried wolf.

2. Or there actually is light at the end of the tunnel and your doom and gloom ruins peoples hope/will to live

The mental toll this has taken on my grandparents really gets to me.

Granted, they watch the news all the time because they are in their home. But, they have been fully vaccinated and they still won't come out to see people because of the new strain.

Even if they won't die from covid guys like him have convinced them to stop living life, even after they took one on the chin for a year until they got vaccinated.
czechy91
AG
I agree that everyone is tired of COVID but luckily the vaccine is here and things are improving. However it is important to note what's happening elsewhere across the world and I think that's what most prudent people are doing. What happened in Ireland or Portugal is concerning but perhaps we have some things going on our side such as a larger base of past infections that will bring some immunity or perhaps we will have a majority of our Phase1B most vulnerable protected against the predicted wave of variants. Unfortunately, there are people out there with agendas, the mainstream media needs ratings, and even politicians have reasons for their stances. Regardless, it's important to keep things moving in the right direction with increased vaccinations ASAP to try to get ahead of possible variants. Unfortunately, it take 3 days just to equate to a 1% increase in the Texas population having received at least 1 shot. At that rate only 25% of Texans will have received at least 1 vaccine dose by the beginning of March and it will take us until May 1st just to get to 50%.
Gordo14
Vaccine distribution is still ramping up. And this is still before the JNJ and Novavax vaccines.
double aught
AG
KlinkerAg11 said:

For sure, this issue is we look at covid through a soda straw.

IMO it's always been about turning this into the flu, not eradicating it.

Once you're vaccinated for covid and mount an immune response your chances of severe covid are slim to none.

It's like it's shocking to people when people still get covid even after getting vaccinated.

So, if you're goal it to completely get rid of covid, you have reason to always be afraid.
I pretty much agree with you. But when we've been hearing 95% effective for months, I can understand why people would be shocked if they become infected after being vaccinated.
KlinkerAg11
AG
True.

Even at five percent you will know a decent amount of people who got covid even with a vaccine.

Plus the media will make sure everyone knows about it.

I wish the messaging was about eliminating severe covid rather than eliminating the virus.
DCAggie13y
AG
Cactus Jack said:

Check out this article from October 2020.

https://www.businessinsider.com/infectious-disease-osterholm-darkest-weeks-of-pandemic-2020-10
KlinkerAg11
AG
Yep. Pretty damn dark all the time for this guy.
DCAggie13y
AG
KlinkerAg11 said:

Yep. Pretty damn dark all the time for this guy.

He keeps saying it will be the darkest time of the ENTIRE pandemic. We have already passed his previous darkest time and now there are new darkest times in the future.

He should just come out and say we will experience multiple waves of dark times that will appear in the future at unpredictable intervals. Although it may seem dark now, it will be darker in the future. Im not sure exactly when we will reach peak darkness, but I know we haven't reached it yet.
GAC06
AG
This comment alone makes me discount anything he says:

" In baseball terms, he added, the U.S. is still in the "bottom of the third or top of the fourth" inning. "

If after a year of this we are barely a third through the game, then I'm not playing anymore. This **** should be over before summer.

KlinkerAg11
AG
This is something else. Everyone here is a professional in their field; Imagine sending emails or telling people stuff like this.

"If we don't meet this quarters goals we will be staring into a category 10 hurricane"

It's annoying and it's getting old, be straight with us.
DCAggie13y
AG
GAC06 said:

This comment alone makes me discount anything he says:

" In baseball terms, he added, the U.S. is still in the "bottom of the third or top of the fourth" inning. "

If after a year of this we are barely a third through the game, then I'm not playing anymore. This **** should be over before summer.

The Director of the Harvard Global Health Institute said we were in the 4th inning in July of last year and predicted we would be out-of the woods in June or July of this year. That seems to track better to the case trajectory than Dr. Dooms predictions.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-ashish-jha-america-fourth-inning-coronavirus-pandemic

Another anecdote here in Virginia, our hospitals and ICU counts have also dropped significantly in the last few weeks.

MouthBQ98
AG
So, about 50 million that are effectively immune, at least for a while.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.