Severe lung damage even in asymptomatic cases...?

5,057 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Noble07
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Apple News is headlining this article today.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/covid-lungs-worse-smokers-lungs/

I know lung damage is often seen in severe and even moderate cases, but the doctor featured in the story is quoted as saying this:

"She says patients who've had COVID-19 symptoms show a severe chest X-ray every time, and those who were asymptomatic show a severe chest X-ray 70% to 80% of the time."

First of all, the sentence doesn't even really make sense. But, are people who had mild cases or asymptomatic cases being routinely subjected to chest x-rays? And are 70-80% of those mild-asymptomatic cases showing severe lung damage?

I had a very mild case (stuffy nose and loss of taste/smell only - no respiratory or breathing issues). Why would a doctor even order a chest x-ray for someone like me?

I feel like there has to be more to this than just what this doctor was quoted as saying.

Any doctors or health professionals here have anything to add?

I hate articles like this.
cc_ag92
AG
Those percentages seem awfully high. I hope a doctor chimes in here.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
"She says patients who've had COVID-19 symptoms show a severe chest X-ray every time, and those who were asymptomatic show a severe chest X-ray 70% to 80% of the time."

Absolute malarkey. Amazing this trash gets to internet. 100% not true. Not even close.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
"Dr. Brittany Bankhead-Kendall has treated thousands of COVID pts since March."

Trauma surgeon treating COVID. Yeah. Whew.
Not a Bot
AG
And why is a trauma surgeon treating mild and asymptomatic cases of Covid?
TXTransplant
Marcus Aurelius said:

I wondered about that, too! Why would a trauma surgeon be looking at follow-up chest x-rays of recovered COVID patients?
Marcus Aurelius
AG
I'm sorry I can't stop.

"those who were asymptomatic show a severe chest X-ray 70% to 80% of the time."

What is a trauma surgeon doing seeing asymptomatic COVID pts? LOL. OMG.

Marcus Aurelius
AG
Must be some damn careful drivers in Lubbock.
aggiemike02
The Big12Ag
Marcus Aurelius said:

I'm sorry I can't stop.

I think the numbers being reported are ridiculous, but wouldn't a trauma surgeon be giving xrays to trauma patients, some who have a positive corona test in their medical records?
Marcus Aurelius
AG
The Big12Ag said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

I'm sorry I can't stop.

I think the numbers being reported are ridiculous, but wouldn't a trauma surgeon be giving xrays to trauma patients, some who have a positive corona test in their medical records?
"thousands" ? She says
TXTransplant
The Big12Ag said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

I'm sorry I can't stop.

Your point begs further questions:

1) Would a trauma surgeon be seeing enough trauma patients with a history of Covid (specifically asymptomatic cases) to be making statements like this?

2) Would it be protocol for a trauma surgeon to order a chest x-ray on a patient simply because they said they have a history of Covid? Or is this surgeon ordering chest x-rays for some other reason, and the patients are then saying "Oh, by the way, I had Covid"? Or do all trauma patients typically get chest x-rays, no matter what?
falconace
Quote:

She is class of '07
bigtruckguy3500
Marcus Aurelius said:

I'm sorry I can't stop.

Haven't you heard, surgeons are just internists that "finished their training."

Makes me laugh every time I see them trying to interpret an EKG.

J. Walter Weatherman
A quick look at her twitter feed unfortunately reveals a pretty obvious goal of this sensationalism.
Aston94
AG
If things were this severe with lung issues you would have think one other doctor, like one that isn't a trauma surgeon, qould have found the same thing or at least similar findings.
TXTransplant
Here is another article with a few quotes from that same doctor (mixed in with story about a case she had absolutely nothing to do with).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs17.com/digital-stories/covid-19-infected-lungs-damaged-more-than-smokers-lung-doctor-says/amp/

And here is her interview with a Dallas news station.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/01/13/texas-trauma-surgeon-says-post-covid-lungs-look-worse-than-any-type-of-terrible-smokers-lung-weve-ever-seen/amp/
aggie0607
AG
FYI, she is an Aggie, UT Medical School, followed by fellowship at Harvard Med. She was also on the frontline at Mass Gen in the ICU treating Covid patients before heading to Lubbock recently.
DCAggie13y
AG
A news story sensationalizing COVID? No way!
TexasAggie008
AG
Irresponsible garbage

The Dr and newspapers that printed it should all be out of business
Teslag
AG
Professional women with hyphenated last names are BSC in 80% of cases.

This comment is more than likely true.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Professional women with hyphenated last names are BSC in 80% of cases.

FIFY
KidDoc
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

I'm sorry I can't stop.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
notex
AG
CBS news is as credible as a nextdoor.com post, or maybe a random ticktock account with over a thousand followers and probably shouldn't be used as a source for this board.
Capitol Ag
AG
Don't let the B1G know about this article!
TulsAg
AG
This statement - "patients who've had COVID-19 symptoms show a severe chest X-ray every time" - is demonstrably false, even to a lay person.

All but one of the people I know who have had it (14 at last count, including myself and my wife and 6 other family members) had absolutely clear chest x-rays at all times, both during and after having it.
TXTransplant
Credible or not, they are one of the big 3 networks and have the exposure and name recognition that makes them a "mainstream media" source.

All the more reason they should be called out for this garbage "reporting".
littledude
AG
just to answer the question about why a trauma surgeon would be treating covid -

Trauma surgery fellowship includes critical care medicine. At our hospital, during covid surges the trauma icus fill with non-trauma covid patients and our trauma surgeons help cross cover the very busy covid units. So it makes sense she would see a lot of covid

ETA: I agree with everyone else that I don't see why she would be commenting on assymptomatic covid.
TXTransplant
Thanks for the clarification - it makes sense.

I was envisioning she treats gunshot victims and car crash survivors, who even if they have Covid, that's the least of their problems.
BadMoonRisin
AG
This was the same horse **** that was trotted out last april or may once the data started coming in that this mostly impacts people over 65 with at least 1 or 2 co-morbidities. The purpose was to "scare" your everyday normal healthy/young person into thinking that they would be irreparably damaged for the rest of their lives if they got covid, even if they didnt die or even feel sick.

It was bull**** then, and even moreso now.
I know I ain't leavin' you like I know He ain't leavin' us
I know we believe in God and I know God believes in us
JP_Losman
AG
Make. It. Stop.
Kool
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

I'm sorry I can't stop.

Eeeasy there now. Besides, I thought you guys had machines that interpret all those squiggly lines now, anyway. We used to have to use calipers and a book to figure it out back in the day.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
stone 1
I find it had to believe that an asymptomatic Covid patient had lungs that look worse than a smoker. You would think if the lungs were that bad there would be at least a cough or shortness of breath.
BiochemAg97
AG
Capitol Ag said:

Don't let the B1G know about this article!
Why? they already showed they don't really care about the health/safety of the student athletes or integrity if it means sacrificing tOSU making it to the playoffs.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Those machines are worthless at interpreting ECGs, I teach all my residents and students to avoid looking at the computer interpretation. Nevertheless, I love all you scalpel jockeys, regardless of your ability to read the squiggly lines.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.