Moderna vaccine side effects

3,618 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aginlakeway
Positive Yardage
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For the med folks on the board, my wife is 12-days post 1st round of the Moderna vaccine. Some arm soreness within the first 48 hours but no other real side effects. Fast forward to last night, and the left arm where she received the vaccine appears inflamed and potentially with a rash. No such symptoms in her right arm. Woke up this morning fairly fatigued and stayed home from work. Any word on delayed onset side effects from the vaccine? She has Hashimotos disease if that is of any help.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I'd be more worried about cellulitis than an inflammatory response to the vaccine. I'm curious about the "rash". Is it red, warm, uniform, somewhat hard to touch, and tender? Might be a good idea to have it evaluated by a physician if she is experiencing systemic symptoms.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Positive Yardage
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

I'd be more worried about cellulitis than an inflammatory response to the vaccine. I'm curious about the "rash". Is it red, warm, uniform, somewhat hard to touch, and tender? Might be a good idea to have it evaluated by a physician if she is experiencing systemic symptoms.
It's a very light red/pink. It is warm, but not uniform at all. No blistering on the skin, fever, or anything. Thought maybe a bug bite at first, but most swelling right around the injection area, and she didn't remember feeling a sting or bite of any kind. We will get it checked out, thanks!
Kool
AG
It's pretty common. I got a slight rash about 24 hours after the Pfizer dose, went away within about 12 hours without taking anything. And I say this as someone who never gets reactions to any immunizations. If there is significant fever, chills, worsening redness, etc., it is worth reporting to wherever she got the immunization.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
knoxtom
That's just her arm downloading the update from Microsoft. She can set it to happen between 3 and 5am if she goes to her settings
ag0207
AG
My wife had the same reaction which evidently is actually somewhat common. Antihistamines + topical steroids took care of it in 1-2 days. You do want to make sure it is not cellulitis (redness, pain, swelling, fever) vs what my wife had (redness, swelling, itching).
bigtruckguy3500
Doctor friend is 1 week post Moderna and has an oval shaped area of redness over the deltoid that developed today. Didn't have any issue with Pfizer.

ETA: this was her first dose.
Aries
Was their first dose a pfizer & second a Moderna? If so,. They are going against everything that is out there on how to receive the vaccine.
bigtruckguy3500
Aries said:

Was their first dose a pfizer & second a Moderna? If so,. They are going against everything that is out there on how to receive the vaccine.
Nope. 1 week post first injection of Moderna.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
I got the moderna shot last Friday and started coming down with a fever a couple hours ago (101.5). I've had relatively low exposure since the new year. I just took my evening dose of doc revs cocktail an a few extra vitamin d/famotodine.

Hoping this is just a delayed reaction to the vaccine as I have no other symptoms. Anything I should be doing different? My anxiety is through the roof and playing havoc with my resting heart rate 140-155bpm.

I'm going to watch my fever for the next few hours and take some Tylenol if the fever doesn't go down soon.

Crossposting this from doc revs thread as it is more relevant here.
ChickenAndWafflesAg
AG
Same thing happened to me. Got Moderna first dose. Day 1-2 injection site was extremely sore. Small area around the injection site was red with a rash type appearance. The rash was not itchy or raised, just splotchy like a rash. This lasted until about day 10 or 11. No other symptoms though.
ags1995
AG
injection site reaction... uncomfortable but not dangerous. Benadryl and warm, moist heat. Can take pepcid along with benadryl.
Common with many vaccines.
Hope this helps.

TYRY43
I'm now 10 days after receiving the first dose of Moderna and the only side effect I had was a very slight soreness in the area of the injection that was completely gone in less than 48 hours. Same for my wife.
wbt5845
AG
Received Moderna vaccine Jan. 7. No reaction at all - not even any soreness at injection site.
oldflyer
AG
Got my first dose of the Moderna vax on 1/8. Sore arm and some very, very mild body aches. Went away in 36 hours.
aginlakeway
AG
2 weeks since dose #1. No side effects other than sore arm for 2 days.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.