Getting Re-tested for a negative after testing positive

1,539 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by film grinder
T dizl televizl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Question for the texags experts.

I tested positive for Covid on July 27th - so it has been just over two weeks since I tested positive. Symptoms had probably started 4-5 days prior to that. All symptoms were extremely mild, but had a little congestion / runny nose, and then fatigue and light headedness. Never had a fever.

Per the CDC website they are not wanting people to get tested for a negative to be cleared, as people are potentially testing positive for long periods of time and are not considered to be contagious.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/disposition-in-home-patients.html

"Persons with COVID-19 who have symptoms and were directed to care for themselves at home may discontinue isolation under the following conditions:
  • At least 10 days* have passed since symptom onset and
  • At least 24 hours have passed since resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and
  • Other symptoms have improved."

If it was up to me, I'd consider myself to meet all of these criteria, even though I'm still a little run down, I think that is a normal side effect of having a virus, no other symptoms are lingering.

BUT - my work wants me to test negative twice before coming back into the office, so that is where it gets a little tricky.

They had me test last Friday and it came back positive still, was a little bit of a bummer, but not altogether unexpected based on everything in the news.

I guess my question is this. I want to avoid getting a bunch of positive tests in a row and "inflating" the numbers. Also, if I can avoid getting my nose raped repeatedly for no reason that would be a positive.

Does anyone have any advice on time periods to wait before getting tested again? Any personal stories about length of time to get a negative test?

Also, would like to have some confirmation that just because I'm testing positive, that doesn't mean I'm still contagious. Just so I can exit my apartment and not feel like I'm infecting folks.

sbs
AG
I would show your work what the CDC guidelines are. I know someone who tested positive and they were asymptomatic. They got tested because they were going to the hospital for an elective procedure. One month after testing positive they still test positive.
AggieBiker
AG
What sbs said.
lunchbox
You could seek out a clinic that has the "fast result" mid-nasal swab test. Might have more of a shot of testing negative.
NASAg03
Jefferson County Health Dept called me after my positive test. They outlined the same as above, and said they don't recommend additional testing as it doesn't tell you anything useful. Shedding virus doesn't mean you are contagious, but can trigger a positive test, and this can occur for 90 days.

Actually they straight up said, based on my symptoms and condition, that I was free to go back into public settings. For me this was 14 days after first symptoms, 48 hrs after my fever ended, and only symptom remaining was a residual cough from lung damage.
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
BiochemAg97
AG
NASAg03 said:

Jefferson County Health Dept called me after my positive test. They outlined the same as above, and said they don't recommend additional testing as it doesn't tell you anything useful. Shedding virus doesn't mean you are contagious, but can trigger a positive test, and this can occur for 90 days.

Actually they straight up said, based on my symptoms and condition, that I was free to go back into public settings. For me this was 14 days after first symptoms, 48 hrs after my fever ended, and only symptom remaining was a residual cough from lung damage.
Technically, a positive test doesn't even indicate you are shedding virus, but that viral RNA is present.
Reveille
AG
Talk to your work about the guidelines! Have them reconsider because you are likely past shedding the virus but can have have viral particles present for over ax month that will turn the test positive.

I have been battling with employeres for some time. If they demand two negative tests you may not be able to go back to work for a long time.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
film grinder
I've tested positive 5 times now since my first positive on 6/10 so yeah IDK if you can get 2 negative tests
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.