Lost one of my sales reps to Covid (38 yr old)

11,121 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TxAG#2011
Reveille
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_of_08 said:

Reveille said:

Ag_of_08 said:

Serious question. Do you believe the gastric symptoms to be related to the covid, or just correlated? Not trying to be sarcastic in the least, im in a high risk exposure group

No it is related to Covid. The ACE2 receptors of the endothelium in the gut get infected and causes the nausea and diarrhea. This is now well documented.

Thank you for the response.

I really was not being sarcastic, I suffer from chronic gastric issues( im fat, it happens) live in a multi generation home, and work a job thats about as high risk for an exposure as they get without being medical staff or on an actual ambulance. I had not seen that discussed, and it is concerning to say the least.

I should have said it in my original post, but my heart felt condolences to OP and the family of the girl. A good life passing from this world is never a positive thing :-(

No problem I didn't take any offense to it. Was just responding maybe it came across too blunt. However, your GI symptoms in no way make you anymore at risk.

Not your other risk factors certainly are a reason for concern. So unless you have GI issues different than your usual ones I wouldn't worry about those symptoms just watch for the other symptoms as a sign of Covid.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DadHammer
AG
How does that even happen in today's world? Horrible.
AgsMyDude
AG
Premium said:

Had she been tested, what is the likelihood It could have been treated and she'd be alive?

Curious about this too
RandyAg98
AG
AgsMyDude said:

Premium said:

Had she been tested, what is the likelihood It could have been treated and she'd be alive?

Curious about this too

Better chances of survival with earlier intervention and knowing what they are treating.
wessimo
AG
Why didn't she go somewhere else to get tested??
AgsMyDude
AG
RandyAg98 said:

AgsMyDude said:

Premium said:

Curious about this too

Better chances of survival with earlier intervention and knowing what they are treating.

That's a fair assumption. I'd imagine based on the treatments available today she'd have had a much better shot. That's rough news and I feel for the OP. Crazy she never made it to the hospital/ICU.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
texaggie90 said:

I spoke to the family late last night and they're investigating why she was not tested for Covid. She had gone to an urgent care near her home initially and now we've learned that she was doing weekly follow up telehealth visits. Honestly, I'm just beside myself and baffled by how this happened.

This is going to sound horrible but I'm a little angry at my rep. She was a licensed respiratory therapist and has been in medical device sales, working with doctors and healthcare workers for years. She's just someone I though would have pushed back. I don't know the circumstances of why she hadn't been tested but I sure as he11 hope the family follows up on that. Given the environment and the vast array of symptoms associated with Covid, in my mind there's absolutely zero reason why someone isn't tested first.

I know there are a number of doctors on this board so I'll be sure to update as I learn more. I'll be going out to Phoenix in a week to see some of her clients and cover cases and hoping to meet with her sister and best friend.
I think you are focusing a little too much on the testing, I wouldn't be too hard on her. Obviously we have no idea what was said, but even if they tested her and she came back positive, it would not have changed the fact that she would have likely still been sent home. Maybe a positive result would have convinced her to go to the hospital quicker if she was feeling worse, but she also could have died in her sleep from arrhythmia caused by COVID. I had a 27 year old COVID+ patient that had a complete occlusion of one of their coronary arteries (the LAD). He could have potentially died had he not come in when he did. This virus does some crazy things.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Capitol Ag
AG
texaggie90 said:

Tough week! After one of my reps went dark on me, I had HR request a wellness check. The family had asked for one over the weekend too and police found her dead. Single 38 yr old fitness junkie. This woman was a picture of health and never missed a day working out and ate like a championship athlete!

My take away and advice:

She was diagnosed with pneumonia by an urgent care clinic and given antibiotics. She kept telling me and her peers that she wasn't getting much better. She said the clinic refused to test her for Covid, wtf??? They told her that her symptoms didn't fit.

Confirmed she died from complications from Covid

I'm in the Med device field so I know she knew better but she kept thinking she didn't have it because they refused to test her.

My advice...if you feel sick, force the doctor to test you! Hell, tell them you've been in contact with someone who tested positive if you have to.

Had this woman who was young and a picture of health been tested early, she most likely would've been treated correctly and alive today!

Be a champion for you and your family and demand testing if you have to. Don't take no for an answer.

Wow! That's straight up malpractice and negligence. Boarder line murder. Why the hell cant they test someone these days???
Capitol Ag
AG
I Am A Critic said:

Maybe she and her doctors, like most on this board, believed that Covid only affects the old
and those with pre-existing conditions and there's no way it could affect someone healthy and young.

It's just so extremely rear that anyone in her condition overall can die. Doesn't mean it can't happen though and no one argues that. IF that is the reason that they didn't treat seems inexcusable on the surface no doubt.
Tmoneyag99
AG
deadbq03 said:

aglaes said:

I Am A Critic said:

Maybe she and her doctors, like most on this board, believed that Covid only affects the old
and those with pre-existing conditions and there's no way it could affect someone healthy and young.
From OP description she seemed like almost the least likely person to have a bad outcome - 30 something, woman, very healthy/health conscience, and working in the medical field.

And I was just starting to feel like as a 57 yr old pretty healthy guy that I didn't need to be too worried about getting it.
I don't think you should be worried about it. Life is too short already to waste time with that kind of worry.

But there's a massive difference between worry and making responsible choices. Stories like this are why everyone needs to do their part to prevent spread, because you really don't know who in your social circle might actually be at risk. It's certainly debatable what "doing your part" ought to entail, but sadly there's just too many people who have the attitude of "this won't kill me so I'm not gonna change my lifestyle" and do absolutely nothing.
ding ding ding.

Gonna work, gonna go play outside, gonna wash my hands like I have OCD, Ordering groceries online instead of going into the store where possible. ETC

Quarantining is fine for the legitimate endangered. But everyone else needs to move on. I'm not going to anything with large groups and we are getting out into nature a whole lot more.
MasterAggie
AG
Quote:

No it is related to Covid. The ACE2 receptors of the endothelium in the gut get infected and causes the nausea and diarrhea. This is now well documented
I am now pretty sure I had it back in late April. These were the symptoms I had with severe cramping. I blew it off at the time. After talking to my doctor I assume I had it. I had fever as well that reached 102 for a while.
AgsMyDude
AG
That's fascinating! What brought the 27 y/o in, SOB or did he have all the symptoms?
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
AgsMyDude said:

That's fascinating! What brought the 27 y/o in, SOB or did he have all the symptoms?
Fever, chest pain, and SOB
Bird Poo
AG
Capitol Ag said:

texaggie90 said:

Tough week! After one of my reps went dark on me, I had HR request a wellness check. The family had asked for one over the weekend too and police found her dead. Single 38 yr old fitness junkie. This woman was a picture of health and never missed a day working out and ate like a championship athlete!

My take away and advice:

She was diagnosed with pneumonia by an urgent care clinic and given antibiotics. She kept telling me and her peers that she wasn't getting much better. She said the clinic refused to test her for Covid, wtf??? They told her that her symptoms didn't fit.

I'm in the Med device field so I know she knew better but she kept thinking she didn't have it because they refused to test her.

My advice...if you feel sick, force the doctor to test you! Hell, tell them you've been in contact with someone who tested positive if you have to.

Had this woman who was young and a picture of health been tested early, she most likely would've been treated correctly and alive today!

Be a champion for you and your family and demand testing if you have to. Don't take no for an answer.

Wow! That's straight up malpractice and negligence. Boarder line murder. Why the hell cant they test someone these days???
This kind of reaction is why healthcare is going bankrupt. People expect perfection and if that doesn't happen, they run to the lawyers. Flukes happen. Mistakes happen. This virus has only been with us 4-6 months. Given the symptom variability, I don't blame healthcare professionals--especially with this person's healthy lifestyle!
FrecklesDad
AG
The moral to this story is to not go to urgent care clinics just because you don't want to wait in line at a real hospital. I learned this the hard way a few years back. They do not give the same quality of care.
TxAG#2011
PearlJammin said:

Capitol Ag said:

texaggie90 said:

My take away and advice:

This kind of reaction is why healthcare is going bankrupt. People expect perfection and if that doesn't happen, they run to the lawyers. Flukes happen. Mistakes happen. This virus has only been with us 4-6 months. Given the symptom variability, I don't blame healthcare professionals--especially with this person's healthy lifestyle!

Actually... healthcare isn't going bankrupt and was as profitable as its ever been pre corona. Healthcare providers flush with cash have been expanding like crazy. It would actually make you furious if you knew what these health systems were spending money on all the while sending patients a 10k bill for one night in the ER.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.