NYT: Vaccine could be available by September...

2,738 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 74Ag1
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/world/europe/coronavirus-vaccine-update-oxford.html
Duncan Idaho
Man that would be fantastic. God I hope that is true.
P.U.T.U
AG
I keep seeing these articles and the Aggies winning a national championship this year keeps me grounded. I do not think people realize how difficult it is to create a vaccine with mutations.
OKC~Ag
well, it works on monkies...sign me up asap
Lemmys Rickenbacker
The funny part of the article is that they where afraid of not having enough humans for trials because new cases are on the decline.
Tom Cardy
AG
P.U.T.U said:

I keep seeing these articles and the Aggies winning a national championship this year keeps me grounded. I do not think people realize how difficult it is to create a vaccine with mutations.

Except for several docs who have talked about how the mutations should not affect how we produce a vaccine.
Squadron7
AG
Quote:

...if it proves to be effective.

Not to be a doomer...but the word 'if' in that sentence is bearing quite a load.
Big Al 1992
AG
I hope the administration doesn't start touting this. I think they've done reasonably well even with the ridiculous constant push back from the left and the media. Their one misstep has been over promising and under delivering - PPE, tests, time frames. If they start shouting Sept everyone will hold them to it - especially with that being right before the election. Even 18 months is optimistic.
gomerschlep
AG
September of next year, maybe. It could be worse than the damned virus if they don't properly study and determine the safety of this.

I'm only half joking when I say this, but rushing through an unproven vaccine is literally how zombie movies start
75AG
AG
Let's say it works, who makes it? Single dose to get herd immunity just in the US, we'd need 230 million doses (assuming 70% for herd immunity). If it's a two dose vaccine, that's over 500 million. We don't have ANYWHERE near that manufacturing capacity. We make approximately enough vaccine for the birth cohort of 4 million, and about 4 million more for seniors. Finally, we manufacture 160 million doses of flu vaccine each year. And that's just in the USA. Where's the additional capacity coming from? China?

Discovering the vaccine may be the easiest part of this equation.
AgResearch
AG
75AG said:

Let's say it works, who makes it? Single dose to get herd immunity just in the US, we'd need 230 million doses (assuming 70% for herd immunity). If it's a two dose vaccine, that's over 500 million. We don't have ANYWHERE near that manufacturing capacity. We make approximately enough vaccine for the birth cohort of 4 million, and about 4 million more for seniors. Finally, we manufacture 160 million doses of flu vaccine each year. And that's just in the USA. Where's the additional capacity coming from? China?

Discovering the vaccine may be the easiest part of this equation.
Some of the Bill Gates funded production facilities?
Duncan Idaho
Made a joke removed a joke
75AG
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Sure...I mean if you want aborted baby parts and 5g connectivity
And.... we're off....
Duncan Idaho
The hardest part will be the distribution and the adminstration of the vaccines. That will make production look like a cake walk. But no doubt it will get done.
Duncan Idaho
75AG said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Sure...I mean if you want aborted baby parts and 5g connectivity
And.... we're off....

It was a joke. I will remove it.
TCTTS
AG
If a vaccine is somehow ready by September, I imagine heaven and earth will be moved to mass produce and administer it. I know nothing about that sort of thing, but one would assume we'd see a level of coordination and innovative manufacturing strategies not seen since WWII.
Duncan Idaho
Gates has literally already begun the process to build the first one. Well 7 but 6 will probably be tossed aside

https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-gates-factories-7-different-vaccines-to-fight-coronavirus-2020-4?r=US&IR=T

TCTTS
Big Al 1992
AG
Dr Gottlieb has said as much - the distribution will be a challenge and as he said, if another country has access to it first because they developed it - will they share to US manufacturers? You think availability of tests has been a cluster, wait till there are lines for vaccines.
Duncan Idaho
I can't see any country prohibiting the licensing or charging insane license fees. No other country would respect the patent. Unless you are going to send the army in to keep Korea from making their own, how are you going to stop them?
Squadron7
AG
I hoping the Israelis come up with the first effective vaccine...just to watch heads explode.
74Ag1
AG
Fantastic news
Absolutely fantastic
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.