CDC now recommending wearing masks in public.

4,700 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aust Ag
wessimo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tamuwx
AG
That's great and all, but good luck finding any to wear.
texaggie90
AG
If I get furloughed, I'm buying a sewing machine and gonna mass produce Aggie masks for everyone to wear! I'll sell them on TexAgs and Etsy!
wessimo
AG
tamuwx said:

That's great and all, but good luck finding any to wear.

One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
We discussed this in another thread yesterday and here's what I'm going to do. I ordered several neck gaiter buffs and a 20x30 MPR 1500 HVAC filter which will filter out viruses. I'll take the filter material apart and cut into 8" x 5" rectangular pieces. Once the pleats are flattened out, it should result in quite few pieces.

Then I'll turn the neck gaiter inside out and place the filter material in the middle area and then fold the outer portions of the buff toward the middle, over the filter material. Once that's done, I'll turn it back where the outside is showing, slip it over my head so the filter material covers my mouth and nose and I'm in business - I hope.
lazuras_dc
AG

Thought this was interesting
pants
I'm totally confused and don't want to spend an hour poring over local, state, and federal press releases and documents.

Does anyone know whether anyone is REQUIRING us to wear face masks in public anywhere in the country? I heard about Laredo. Anywhere else?

So much of the media coverage of this thing frustrates me because it is foggy when it comes to requirements vs recommendations.

I'd also like to know where I can check to see if I have to wear one in public in College Station, but the main issue I have is the lack of transparency by officials and clarity in the media on this issue.
Bondag
AG
As Joey would say this is a moo point.

Because we have a lot of Joeys in the US.

If I had a dollar for every person I told to wear the required PPE I could retire today. People have gotten better about tying off, but that took about 10 years and constant reminders before it became the norm and not the exception even though it has been proven time and again to actually save lives.

I still have to tell people daily to wear safety Glasses or wear the right ones or right way. A man in his 60s told me he wasn't wearing them to sand drywall because he couldn't see out them because they had drywall dust on them. He did not realize that was now getting into his eyes. We are not getting to 80% compliance.
ac04
lots of masks at the grocery store this morning. probably 50% of the people there.
HouAggie2007
I counted people going into HEB yesterday while I waited for curbside, about 20-25% wearing some sort of mask and this we before the CDC recommendation
BlackLab
AG
Where can you even buy them?
Gizzards
AG
Only in Laredo is it required. If you want to see official directives, go to your local county/city government website. That is really all you need to be concerned about.
Gizzards
AG
They are recommending fashioning your own. Watch the video by the surgeon general at the beginning of the thread.
nai06
AG
BlackLab said:

Where can you even buy them?
Etsy has some

Citizens of Humanity in Dallas sells them online but are sold out right now. Check back later.
https://citizensofhumanity.com/products/cotton-mask-5-pack

Inspire masks
https://www.inspiremasks.com/

If you get some from Etsy some might have a pocket for filter inserts. Filters are impossible to find but you can make your own from HVAC filters. Any filtrete 1500 or above will offer some level of virus filtration. HEPA filter vacuum bags can also work. You can even use ZEP brand shop towels. Apparently at a two fold thickness they offer a lot of filtration

https://www.businessinsider.com/homemade-mask-using-hydro-knit-shop-towel-filters-better-2020-4
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Think I'll try this as well. I have several that I use already for mowing the yard.

As tight as they are, I'm hoping the nose piece isn't truly needed with this method.
Tailgate88
AG
Here's a great source. We use this company for T-Shirt quilts but they are selling masks now too for $8.

https://www.projectrepat.com/products/cotton-mask
75AG
AG
CC Creations or Aggieland Outfitters could make masks with Rev, or Ol' Sarge, or Jimbo, or Buzz on the front. I'd wear one!
Cant Think of a Name
AG
I ordered some on amazon on Jan 31. The damned packages were delayed. They are coming from china.

AggieC07
AG
I'm just using an old scarf
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Wore a mask out to stock up on dog food at Orscheln's. Maybe half of people had one.... tops.

And then there was the dude walking around digging into his mouth with his finger....
TXTransplant
This is a clothing company out of California that is switching to making nothing but masks for the foreseeable future.

They are just cotton and intended for personal use, but IMO, it's better than a bandana. And they are donating masks with every purchase.

Pack of 5 is $25 and shipping is free. Not sure how long it will take to get them.

https://www.railsclothing.com/
oldschoolcat
AG
So if I have a couple of gently used N95 masks from woodworking projects, would I be publicly flogged for wearing them?

UTExan
You can have four layers of cloth to arrest your breath vapor. Masks prevent the spread of your germs to others: that is their purpose.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Saw Simms is making gowns for nurses and docs.
aggiedata
AG
I'm good

DCAggie13y
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Thought this was interesting

Oh man Eric Weinstein. That guy is like a higher IQ version of Alex Jones. If he were in charge we would all be building space ships and trying to unplug from the matrix. I think he's taken way too many hallucinogenics.
TheAggiesAreWe03
AG
oldschoolcat said:

So if I have a couple of gently used N95 masks from woodworking projects, would I be publicly flogged for wearing them?

Me too and was wondering the same. Haven't worn one in public yet bc I haven't been out in over a week. But will start wearing one once I go back out for groceries.
SlygirlAg
AG
Make one yourself with a long-sleeve T-shirt (no sewing required)

eric76
AG
Or get a Tom Baker Dr Who scarf and wear it over your mouth and nose.

Or a motorcycle helmet with the scarf around the bottom.
FamousAgg
TheAggiesAreWe03 said:

oldschoolcat said:

Me too and was wondering the same. Haven't worn one in public yet bc I haven't been out in over a week. But will start wearing one once I go back out for groceries.

I Have seen several wearing n95s. I don't see any issue with it. If anyone complains you can just offer to give them the one you were just coughing into. I don't think there is any healthcare professionals who would rather you go unprotected than wear what mask you do have.
Signel
AG
I've always believed that the government was just trying to prevent the run on masks... There is zero logic in not wearing a mask. You can look at every country in the world and they are 100% masked.

US... nope, out walking the dog or riding bikes in packs.

W T F.

G Martin 87
AG
Survivor buffs all sold out on the CBS store online. Even the $130 special collection for season 40.
Kidwrangler
I posted this in the Aggieland forum. This is a no-sew that can literally be made in about 1 minute.
Gives you 10-12 layers of fabric & a close fit over nose & mouth. Use bandana, napkin, or any piece of woven fabric. Bands are ponytail or just knot some elastic into a loop. So simple.
https://giphy.com/gifs/mask-facemask-no-sew-XHXb2GdNeY7TkcQwhd
Aust Ag
AG
Signel said:

I've always believed that the government was just trying to prevent the run on masks... There is zero logic in not wearing a mask. You can look at every country in the world and they are 100% masked.

US... nope, out walking the dog or riding bikes in packs.

W T F.

I think the wind from riding your bike would dissipate the virus. Are they talking while riding?

What's wrong with walking the dog?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.