My RN wife has Covid19

12,259 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LEJ
fitzwatema
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
God Bless all of you on the front lines and/or living with someone on the front lines! Thoughts and prayer for healing and safety!
Tabasco
AG
You guys in Texas? Where roughly (not a creeper).

lowest SPO2 level?
Peak Floyd
AG
Old Ag here, you and family are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless our health care providers.
Not a Bot
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

MCMXCVII said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

Honest question. Why aren't healthcare workers using P100 full/half masks? I know they are more expensive but they are way more effective given proper training.
I think you said it....more expensive. I believe we will see some fundamental positive changes in healthcare as a result of this situation all the way from global supply chain and procurement to the training and equipping of hospital staff. We are learning some tough lessons right now and losing some good people in the process...losing them not just to mortality but in filling in the gaps in staffing while frontline providers are out sick.
Its kinda sad that our hospitals can charge thousands of dollars a day for hospital beds but they can't spend $10-20 for a P-100 half mask.

Im praying for you and your wife. My cousin is a nurse in Midland and is going through the same shortages.

I work with highly toxic chemicals every day but cant imagine being asked to head in to work day in and day out without the proper protective equipment.

It isn't for lack of trying, it's for lack of supply.
MCMXCVII
AG
Tabasco said:

You guys in Texas? Where roughly (not a creeper).

lowest SPO2 level?

Lowest has been 98. She stayed between 98-100 throughout.

We are about an hour west of Katy.
RandyAg98
AG
Columbus?
MCMXCVII
AG
Yep
hellapark
AG
My wife worked at CCH up until 2017.
MCMXCVII
AG
Ok! Small world. Not too plugged in to CCH - I don't know if they've had cases there yet. My wife is at a larger hospital down the road a ways.
RandyAg98
AG
I know a few folks from Columbus. Be safe out there!
hellapark
AG
Small world indeed. We live in Lavaca county now, and she works at Citizens in Victoria, where they are starting to see a good uptick in cases.
Shooz in Katy
AG
This is my day 3 and I lost my sense of taste too. I presented with exactly the same symptoms as your wife but my fever and body aches ended today. The strong headache has subsided. My lungs feel good but I'm not allowing myself to cough which I think has helped. My SPO2 is 97 which what it normally is.

I will say, in addition a lot of prayer, I've been taking 2000mg vitamin C powder every 2 hours with a 16 oz bottle of water each time. I have my phone set to wake me up. A couple inches of water or Gatorade in a short glass is all you need to suck the powder up off the bottom of the glass with a straw. It doesn't dissolve, it just sinks to the bottom.

I also took a 60,000 iu vitamin D3 does yesterday and again today. I don't have any of the other supplements available, I've just used those two.

Hopefully this helps someone out there too. Thanks for sharing, OP. I will pray for you and your wife and kids.

Edit: taking the vitamin D3 like I did is contraindicated (see below) at my stage of infection. Special thanks to the posters below who saw this! Especially to Reveille for all he has done for our TexAgs community on here.
JMac03
AG
I am not a Dr but I know the docs on here are recommending to stop taking Vitamin D once you are sick.

I will pray for a speedy recovery for you.
Gary79Ag
AG
JMac03 said:

I am not a Dr but I know the docs on here are recommending to stop taking Vitamin D once you are sick.

I will pray for a speedy recovery for you.
Yep, this was in Reveille's Facebook write-up from yesterday:

Quote:

Vitamin D

Vitamin D is known to enhance the function of immune cells, including T-cells and macro****es, that protect your body against pathogens In fact studies show that vitamin D enhances your immune system and helps protect you from many respiratory diseases. In fact low vitamin D levels are associated with an increased risk of respiratory diseases, like chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), asthma viral and bacterial bronchitis as well as upper respiratory infections.

Vitamin D causes activation of key innate immune cells such as monocytes, macro****es, and neutrophils leading to enhanced chemotactic, ****ocytic, and bactericidal activities. Those with stronger innate immune systems are believed to be a reason why some people have only mild symptoms when infected with COVID-19.

So vitamin D has been shown to help prevent infections and enhance our innate immune system but in doing so it also enhances cytokines particularly IL-6 and TNFa which are both used in the cytokine storm during serious disease. So while I think it may help us from initially getting sick it should be stopped immediately if you become ill because we don't want anything that may enhance the cytokine storm. So I think if you are deficient in vitamin D you should supplement it for sure, as we know low levels are definitely a risk factor for respiratory infections. If you are not deficient in vitamin D use it with caution and stop it at the first sign of illness.
Gary79Ag
AG
Schu in Mizzou said:

This is my day 3 and I lost my sense of taste too. I presented with exactly the same symptoms as your wife but my fever and body aches ended today. The strong headache has subsided. My lungs feel good but I'm not allowing myself to cough which I think has helped. My SPO2 is 97 which what it normally is.

I will say, in addition a lot of prayer, I've been taking 2000mg vitamin C powder every 2 hours with a 16 oz bottle of water each time. I have my phone set to wake me up. A couple inches of water or Gatorade in a short glass is all you need to suck the powder up off the bottom of the glass with a straw. It doesn't dissolve, it just sinks to the bottom.

I also took a 60,000 iu vitamin D3 does yesterday and again today. I don't have any of the other supplements available, I've just used those two.

Hopefully this helps someone out there too. Thanks for sharing, OP. I will pray for you and your wife and kids.
This was in Reveille's Facebook write-up from yesterday:

Quote:

Vitamin D

Vitamin D is known to enhance the function of immune cells, including T-cells and m a c r o p h a g e s, that protect your body against pathogens In fact studies show that vitamin D enhances your immune system and helps protect you from many respiratory diseases. In fact low vitamin D levels are associated with an increased risk of respiratory diseases, like chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), asthma viral and bacterial bronchitis as well as upper respiratory infections.

Vitamin D causes activation of key innate immune cells such as monocytes, m a c r o p h a g e s, and neutrophils leading to enhanced chemotactic, p h a g o c y t i c, and bactericidal activities. Those with stronger innate immune systems are believed to be a reason why some people have only mild symptoms when infected with COVID-19.

So vitamin D has been shown to help prevent infections and enhance our innate immune system but in doing so it also enhances cytokines particularly IL-6 and TNFa which are both used in the cytokine storm during serious disease. So while I think it may help us from initially getting sick it should be stopped immediately if you become ill because we don't want anything that may enhance the cytokine storm. So I think if you are deficient in vitamin D you should supplement it for sure, as we know low levels are definitely a risk factor for respiratory infections. If you are not deficient in vitamin D use it with caution and stop it at the first sign of illness.

Shooz in Katy
AG
Thank you!
Shooz in Katy
AG
Thank you Gary! Your effort in pasting the info is much appreciated!!!
MCMXCVII
AG
Just saw this. Glad JMac03 and Gary79Ag caught the D3 contradiction! Yet another testament to the power of TexAgs and how folks look after each other! Hope you are feeling better and better and your symptoms are minimal.

We are on day 10 since her symptoms presented. Aside from some "heaviness" in her lungs yesterday she says she's feeling better overall. SPO2 is still 98. We both are very cautious and don't want to think she is out of the woods yet based on the experiences we have read about but we are optimistic that she has this whipped.

I am still rolling along without any symptoms but I don't want to get too cocky either.

Apparently, the State of Texas is assigning a Dept. of Health social worker to each covid19 patient and one to each caretaker. They check in via telephone daily. So my wife and I both get calls each day. I though that was interesting and somewhat unusual. Is this something you are experiencing? I am wondering if other states are doing this and also if any other Texas folks who are covid19 positive have been assigned a social worker.

Aust Ag
AG
MCMXCVII said:

Just saw this. Glad JMac03 and Gary79Ag caught the D3 contradiction! Yet another testament to the power of TexAgs and how folks look after each other! Hope you are feeling better and better and your symptoms are minimal.

We are on day 10 since her symptoms presented. Aside from some "heaviness" in her lungs yesterday she says she's feeling better overall. SPO2 is still 98. We both are very cautious and don't want to think she is out of the woods yet based on the experiences we have read about but we are optimistic that she has this whipped.

I am still rolling along without any symptoms but I don't want to get too cocky either.

Apparently, the State of Texas is assigning a Dept. of Health social worker to each covid19 patient and one to each caretaker. They check in via telephone daily. So my wife and I both get calls each day. I though that was interesting and somewhat unusual. Is this something you are experiencing? I am wondering if other states are doing this and also if any other Texas folks who are covid19 positive have been assigned a social worker.

What does the social worker do for you? Just try to talk you through it?
SPF250
AG
Aust Ag said:

MCMXCVII said:

What does the social worker do for you?

My guess would be nothing for the patient or family. Probably data collection for the gubmint.
MCMXCVII
AG
Yes. Basically. I am not the social worker type so I was kind of taken aback when they contacted me initially. I have received some training in mental health so I picked up on the lines of questioning I was getting. I believe that they recognize the potential strain that being a care giver quarantined with a patient might be under, especially if you were caught unaware or unprepared so thats why they are reaching out to others in the home, not just the sick.

I am a "suck it up and drive on" type of guy and I love my wife so I am glad its me and I am able to be there when she needs me. I am sure their function is also to provide guidance on our particular quarantine timeline while at the same time mining data about symptoms/progression/etc. - both hers and mine.
aglaohfour
AG
If you happen to be in Fort Worth, I've seen a few posts in my Facebook mom group about people lending their Airbnbs or RV/campers to healthcare workers who need to isolate from their families. If it would be helpful, let me know here and I'll find the links for you.
Shooz in Katy
AG
MCMXCVII said:

Thanks for the update on you and your wife. I'm praying for both of you. How do you know she's clear when that time comes? I imagine her work has some rules.

I have not heard of any social workers calling COVID cases every day here in Missouri. We just started our state stay at home order today although my family and I started our stay at home 3 weeks ago.

I know I contracted mine from an ER visit Monday which lead to a 1 hour ambulance transfer to the VA hospital where I was kept almost 24 hours. I had what I thought was a mild stroke at home and had no other real chances of exposure prior. Anyway I called my VA PC Friday morning with COVID symptoms and haven't heard anything back yet.

My temperature has been under 99F for about 24 hours now and I have basically no symptoms except for this weird headache/dizzy spells that come and go. My BP is back to normal. I lost my sense of taste yesterday but it is back now and seems normal. I'm assuming I'll get a call tomorrow about testing or not testing.
MCMXCVII
AG
Schu in Mizzou said:

MCMXCVII said:

Thanks for the update on you and your wife. I'm praying for both of you. How do you know she's clear when that time comes? I imagine her work has some rules.

I have not heard of any social workers calling COVID cases every day here in Missouri. We just started our state stay at home order today although my family and I started our stay at home 3 weeks ago.

I know I contracted mine from an ER visit Monday which lead to a 1 hour ambulance transfer to the VA hospital where I was kept almost 24 hours. I had what I thought was a mild stroke at home and had no other real chances of exposure prior. Anyway I called my VA PC Friday morning with COVID symptoms and haven't heard anything back yet.

My temperature has been under 99F for about 24 hours now and I have basically no symptoms except for this weird headache/dizzy spells that come and go. My BP is back to normal. I lost my sense of taste yesterday but it is back now and seems normal. I'm assuming I'll get a call tomorrow about testing or not testing.
Praying for you as well. Goodness you've had quite a time. Hoping everything gets resolved soon!
LEJ
MCMXCVII said:

First hand knowledge of same scenario. Husband and wife. 1 of them tested negative then positive on second test.

Both getting calls from health dept. Texas
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.