My RN wife has Covid19

12,246 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LEJ
MCMXCVII
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought I would come on and post some info from someone dealing first hand with covid19. My wife is an RN who was exposed at work. I figured I could answer questions if you have any - I have the time since I am quarantined with her.

Background: We have three teenage kids and we made arrangements for them to stay with family when she learned that her hospital would be accepting covid19 patients - this was 6 days before she became symptomatic. (It is a small rural hospital and they were initially sending them to larger facilities). During spring break we were looking at the data and anticipated the spike in cases as well as the actions taken by officials at all levels. Nerd alert: I figured we would need enough food/supplies for about 21 days so I made a meal plan for every day and we shopped according to that in order to mitigate the need to visit stores/public spaces. (Already had toilet paper/flushable wipes so I can say we didn't contribute to that hysteria.). This turned out to a huge stroke of luck in hindsight.

Several folks have posted about the high incidence of false negative results from the nasopharyngeal swab and we believe that this is what occurred. Patient initially negative so taken off protocols - symptoms increased - retest - positive.

So this past Friday she came home from a night shift almost unable to walk...had body aches, fever etc. We went back to the hospital to get swabbed. Results came back positive on Monday. Oddly enough her only incidence of fever only lasted about 10 hours. The body aches, head ache, dry unproductive cough and lethargy have persisted throughout. She also lost her senses of taste and smell on day 3. Based on my research, day five is the milestone when respiratory complications tend to begin to present. She is reporting a heaviness in her chest but SPO2 levels are normal and I am not hearing anything unusual during auscultation. So far so good.

I've been penned up in this petri dish since the 23rd and am not experiencing any symptoms at all. I've have upped my Vitamin C intake to 5000mg per day and I take zinc in the form of Zicam 5-6 tabs per day. I moved to the living room and she is sequestered in our bedroom. I mask up when I go in to check on her or just to hang out with her...then I sanitize, wash hands, spray down surfaces, etc. I spend as much time outside in the yard as I can. I walk the dog daily and run 3-4 miles every other day while doing a total body work out the other days.

That is about it. Just waiting. I feel like we are in the "Mild" category as far as the actual illness goes - hoping to keep it that way. I go to bed and wonder if I will wake up with fever and all the while hoping that she feels better and better. If ya'll have any questions holler.
GE
AG
Sorry to hear that. Glad you are well prepared and hope she gets through it without too much suffering.

Do you know which test was done and where it was sent? Friday to Monday turnaround seems much better than what many on here are noting.
Brutal Puffin
AG
Sorry she's had to experience this horrible disease. I hope she gets better fast and you avoid it. Said a prayer for y'all and will keep you in them.
MCMXCVII
AG
Her facility is part of a hospital network and they typically use their in house lab. I assume that was the case here. I do not know the version of the test but we are guessing it was indeed fast tracked because it was an employee so that might explain why the turn around was a bit faster than we are hearing in other situations.
AggieOO
good luck. Hope this passes quickly for you both.

I'm a bit worried. I work in IT, so I've been basically home for several weeks now, but my wife works out of a medical office (family/sports practice). They are putting her on furlough after next week, and I'm actually happy about that. However, with a 20 month old at home, I'm not sure how we'd handle the situation if one (or both) of us came down with this.
BusterAg
AG
Thank you for sharing your story. It is helpful.

This stuff is scary as all get out.

You have my prayers. Don't feel shy about going to the ER if breathing becomes an issue. Oxygen seems to be the real problem in bad cases, but I will let the docs chime in if I'm wrong. Check on your wife often. Seems like this thing goes way south in a very small amount of cases, and it makes sense to be vigilant, but most people come out OK.
TailG8TR
AG
Sorry to hear. Wishing her a full and speedy recovery and you continued good health.
JDL 96
Prayers for you and your wife.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
OP you really seem to have your **** together. Continued best of luck and I hope you guys power through God willing.

Please do keep us posted.
ChemEng94
AG
Hope your wife gets better soon and you stay virus free.
jac4
AG
Thanks for sharing. Hope she bounces back quickly and that you stay healthy.

By my count, today is Day 7 (maybe 8) for her. Keep us posted.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
AggieOO said:

good luck. Hope this passes quickly for you both.

I'm a bit worried. I work in IT, so I've been basically home for several weeks now, but my wife works out of a medical office (family/sports practice). They are putting her on furlough after next week, and I'm actually happy about that. However, with a 20 month old at home, I'm not sure how we'd handle the situation if one (or both) of us came down with this.

My wife works in the dallas county courthouse and they have just started an alternative schedule but she is around people more than she's comfortable with. I can work from home also but the fear is she comes down with it or we both do and taking care of our 20 month old becomes difficult.
Aggie1946
Sorry to hear about this for your family. My wife is also an RN and I'm a firefighter. She is in an ICU and sees way more than me so we are both pretty concerned.
JMac03
AG
Thank you for sharing. I will pray for your wife to get better soon>
Shumba
AG
Keeping you guys in our thoughts and prayers here in the Shumba household. This is spooky stuff.
Ciboag96
God bless you OP. And your wife.
hellapark
AG
Prayers for you and yours.
My RN wife just left for her night shift just now. She works L&D so isn't at the same risk as nurses on other floors. All the same I'm praying she avoids it and doesn't bring it home.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
Quote:

So this past Friday she came home from a night shift almost unable to walk...had body aches, fever etc. We went back to the hospital to get swabbed. Results came back positive on Monday. Oddly enough her only incidence of fever only lasted about 10 hours. The body aches, head ache, dry unproductive cough and lethargy have persisted throughout. She also lost her senses of taste and smell on day 3. Based on my research, day five is the milestone when respiratory complications tend to begin to present. She is reporting a heaviness in her chest but SPO2 levels are normal and I am not hearing anything unusual during auscultation. So far so good.

You just described my life beginning late afternoon on March 8 until March 16. Except for being tested.
The Fife
Now you have me curious - I've had a sore throat for a few days now, unproductive cough for no good reason (oak is high but I have no known allergies), but no real fever. Today I also noticed that I really have to try in order to taste or smell anything. Sometimes headaches, sometimes body ache. Does this line up very well with what either of you were experiencing?
ontherocks
AG
I'm no doctor but that sounds like Covid to me
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
The Fife said:

Now you have me curious - I've had a sore throat for a few days now, unproductive cough for no good reason (oak is high but I have no known allergies), but no real fever. Today I also noticed that I really have to try in order to taste or smell anything. Sometimes headaches, sometimes body ache. Does this line up very well with what either of you were experiencing?
Not sure what a few days is but on days 5-9 especially really keep an eye out for things. Hope you don't have it, and if you do, the stats very much say you'll be fine after a shi**y few days.
DCAggie13y
AG
Did she get it while wearing full protective gear or does she think the exposure occurred when she was unprotected?
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Just curious. Did she get HCQ Rx'd?? Hope you all persevere.
Not a Bot
AG
There's a clinical trial going on right now for healthcare workers and hydroxychloroquine. Might fit the criteria.

You may also fit the criteria as you live with a healthcare worker.

https://covidpep.umn.edu/

texags08
AG
MCMXCVII said:

Her facility is part of a hospital network and they typically use their in house lab. I assume that was the case here. I do not know the version of the test but we are guessing it was indeed fast tracked because it was an employee so that might explain why the turn around was a bit faster than we are hearing in other situations.

Our tests are fedex priority to Irving. 24 hr TAT. We have only had to use 2 so far. Both negative.
Aries
Terrifying. Thank you for posting.

I am a RN who works at an oncology clinic in DFW. We have limited visitors but are still seeing about the same number of patients daily (have over 60 scheduled Thursday). We don't have the capacity to spread chairs apart & we are quickly running out of cleaning wipes to wipe down our chemo chairs between patients. I'm just waiting for the report that someone is positive & had recently been in my infusion room. We are all taking the necessary precautions: masks everyday, chemo jackets, head covers. But we only have 2 boxes of disposable masks left for our clinic. Thankfully homemade masks have been showing up here & there. But I feel safer wearing a disposable & a fabric.

N95s are like gold. Mine is hidden away in a drawer that I try to only use when I am helping to swab people. But these need covered by a disposable in order to keep reusing.

My husband has already mentioned he might want me to stay somewhere else for a while. He is working from home & we are keeping our kids (5 & 3) home from daycare. I could stay with a co-worker but I have no idea where I would go if I tested +. Our house isn't big enough for me to hole up in a room & I wouldn't want to risk getting my kids sick. (My 3 y/r old as asthma)

Everyday, I'm just waiting for the floor to give.

Your wife is my hero. I hope she pulls through okay.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Honest question. Why aren't healthcare workers using P100 full/half masks? I know they are more expensive but they are way more effective given proper training.
MCMXCVII
AG
Gumby said:

Did she get it while wearing full protective gear or does she think the exposure occurred when she was unprotected?
Hard to say definitively but we believe that exposure occurred after the PUI was tested and it returned negative and they were taken off of protocols. Soon after they got worse, was tested again and the assay returned positive.
MCMXCVII
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

Honest question. Why aren't healthcare workers using P100 full/half masks? I know they are more expensive but they are way more effective given proper training.
I think you said it....more expensive. I believe we will see some fundamental positive changes in healthcare as a result of this situation all the way from global supply chain and procurement to the training and equipping of hospital staff. We are learning some tough lessons right now and losing some good people in the process...losing them not just to mortality but in filling in the gaps in staffing while frontline providers are out sick.
joshpettett
AG
Since it sounds like your outcome isn't going too poorly, I wanted to post about the flushable wipes. Please don't flush those down plumbing. Even if they go through your system without gumming things up when they breakdown they can cause blockages in the public sewer system that has to be unclogged. Especially at times like these when so many people are flushing stuff other than toilet tissue (the wipes, shreds of shirts, whatever other stuff they've decided is good to wipe with)

Edit: I work for a plumbing company. Our service department has seen an increase in these problems, so i try to bring it up when I hear others using them.
MCMXCVII
AG
Aries said:

Terrifying. Thank you for posting.

I am a RN who works at an oncology clinic in DFW. We have limited visitors but are still seeing about the same number of patients daily (have over 60 scheduled Thursday). We don't have the capacity to spread chairs apart & we are quickly running out of cleaning wipes to wipe down our chemo chairs between patients. I'm just waiting for the report that someone is positive & had recently been in my infusion room. We are all taking the necessary precautions: masks everyday, chemo jackets, head covers. But we only have 2 boxes of disposable masks left for our clinic. Thankfully homemade masks have been showing up here & there. But I feel safer wearing a disposable & a fabric.

N95s are like gold. Mine is hidden away in a drawer that I try to only use when I am helping to swab people. But these need covered by a disposable in order to keep reusing.

My husband has already mentioned he might want me to stay somewhere else for a while. He is working from home & we are keeping our kids (5 & 3) home from daycare. I could stay with a co-worker but I have no idea where I would go if I tested +. Our house isn't big enough for me to hole up in a room & I wouldn't want to risk getting my kids sick. (My 3 y/r old as asthma)

Everyday, I'm just waiting for the floor to give.

Your wife is my hero. I hope she pulls through okay.
I can't imagine the hyper-vigilance ya'll have to go through dealing with your immunocompromised patients. N95s are definitely worth their weight in gold. The scary thing is that I've seen varied info on their useful life. At home I have a 3 pack and I am trying to make them last since they cannot be found hardly anywhere.

You are in a tough spot trying to keep our family safe from exposure. Having little ones is tough in time like this. So far I've come through unscathed due to all the stuff you are already doing... hand washing, changing clothes before coming in from work and showering immediately. Please stay safe and healthy! Good luck!
MCMXCVII
AG
Thanks. I'll check this out.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
MCMXCVII said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

I think you said it....more expensive. I believe we will see some fundamental positive changes in healthcare as a result of this situation all the way from global supply chain and procurement to the training and equipping of hospital staff. We are learning some tough lessons right now and losing some good people in the process...losing them not just to mortality but in filling in the gaps in staffing while frontline providers are out sick.
Its kinda sad that our hospitals can charge thousands of dollars a day for hospital beds but they can't spend $10-20 for a P-100 half mask.

Im praying for you and your wife. My cousin is a nurse in Midland and is going through the same shortages.

I work with highly toxic chemicals every day but cant imagine being asked to head in to work day in and day out without the proper protective equipment.
MCMXCVII
AG
The Fife said:

One of the reasons this virus is so tough is because varied way it presents. I thought fever persisted throughout the duration but my wife, and many others are not experiencing this. Hers lasted about 10 hours early in and she hasn't had fever since. Your loss of taste and smell is a hallmark of covid19 ... but hay fever can cause drainage that affects taste and smell and throat irritation would track with that also. Who knows? Best advice I have seen is to definitely watch for shortness of breath - like unusually winded doing something innocuous like walking to the mailbox. If you get short of breath or run a fever go get tested.
MCMXCVII
AG
joshpettett said:

Since it sounds like your outcome isn't going too poorly, I wanted to post about the flushable wipes. Please don't flush those down plumbing. Even if they go through your system without gumming things up when they breakdown they can cause blockages in the public sewer system that has to be unclogged. Especially at times like these when so many people are flushing stuff other than toilet tissue (the wipes, shreds of shirts, whatever other stuff they've decided is good to wipe with)

Edit: I work for a plumbing company. Our service department has seen an increase in these problems, so i try to bring it up when I hear others using them.
Good to know. I don't want a s**t storm in the midst of this s**t storm!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.