Looking for COVID19 survivor willing to donate plasma

6,453 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SoulSlaveAG2005
fisherpricerailgun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey everyone - I've always been just a lurker of TexAgs, but I'm stepping out of the shadows to make a call for help:

A coworker of mine has a family member with COVID-19 on life support in Houston. He's 42, the father of 3 young kids, and has been on a ventilator since Thursday. The most recent treatment is improving oxygen to his body but they need to improve his condition quickly as there is risk of organ failure. The doctors recommend trying plasma transfusion from someone who has recently recovered from COVID-19.

If anyone knows anyone in the Houston area that's recovered from COVID-19 (JH's dashboard doesn't look promising) and willing to donate plasma (type A or AB), please let me know or reach-out to any of the contacts on his wife's facebook page.

Thanks and gig'em,

- Troy ('11)
Diyala Nick
AG
You may look for folks in Dallas also. Twitter could be another place to find someone.
Palovic
I will bump to keep it at the top of the forum list. Good luck and my prayers are with this family and any in a similar situation.
TXTransplant
There are a couple of recovered cases in Montgomery Co/The Woodlands. I would try reaching out to people there. Maybe start with The Woodlands Township leadership (contact info would be on the website).
NSTN8
Ttt
ham98
Good luck!
TXTransplant
Here is the link to the Montgomery Co cases. At least 11 recovered.

https://mcphd-tx.org/coronavirus-covid-19/confirmed-cases/
ham98
I would suggest try calling local news and radio stations to broadcast a plea for help finding the recovered.
rally-cap
AG
bump
fisherpricerailgun
This is fantastic. Thank you all so much!
Dad
AG
Good luck.
kingj3
AG
Shared on my facebook.

Gig 'Em and God Bless.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I am only a presumptive case. My doctor said I probably had covid but wouldnt test me 2 weeks ago. I am basically recovered, but probably need another day or two to be perfect but I am B+ ( in clear lake)
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Troy.

Shoot me a pm. I work for a blood bank in east Texas, we are working on rolling out our convalescent plasma program this week.

Our home office in dfw is already collecting.

The program is a clinical trial and is more complicated than just finding someone who is recovered and making it happen.

I'm happy to shoot you the details and you can share with the docs that are treating the patient and hopefully work out getting the plasma to them.
Not a Bot
AG
The good news about plasma therapy is that it is generally easier to find a matching donor than it is with red blood cells as the compatibility is different. O goes with O, A with A or O. B with B or O and (the really good news) people with the rare blood type AB are universal receptors.
Tabasco
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Troy.

Shoot me a pm. I work for a blood bank in east Texas, we are working on rolling out our convalescent plasma program this week.

Our home office in dfw is already collecting.

The program is a clinical trial and is more complicated than just finding someone who is recovered and making it happen.

I'm happy to shoot you the details and you can share with the docs that are treating the patient and hopefully work out getting the plasma to them.
are you doing antibody tests to see if people were exposed? Only reason I am asking is I am scheduled to donate blood Friday. I am AB+ and am aware that is universal provider of plasma. I have not been sick, but just wondering if you are screening for covid19 exposure
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Not currently, no.

Thank you for donating. AB plasma is always in need.

For this program, doctor find suitable donors that are post COVID recovered and refer them to us for their specific patients. Then we do the draw and testing/processing and distribution to the treating physician.
fisherpricerailgun
Replied. Thank you so much for reaching out.
MasterAggie
AG
God Speed for your coworkers family member.
Gunny456
AG
Hopes and prayers that you find someone. You are a good person for making the effort.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
In order to be eligible, you need to have a positive test confirmed while sick.

Then be 14 days symptom free, and have a follow up negative test. (To make sure you aren't infectious still, for staff protection)

male donors and/or females who have not been previously pregnant, or females who confirmed are HLA negative post pregnancy.

Donors will also have to meet all other current allogeneic donation health criteria.

fisherpricerailgun
Happy update time:

While doctors say my coworker's family memeber will still need to be on ECMO machine for his lungs for a couple of weeks, he's stable (but still critical) and has been taken off the heart ECMO machine. He's been approved by the FDA for plasma donation, so the hospital has started reaching out to potential donors (no one is confirmed yet). To @SoulSlaveAg2005's advice, I believe they're also going to be reaching out to some of the bloodbanks in the region that are standing-up COVID-19 survivor donation programs.

Thanks again for everyone's support here. @SoulSlaveAG2005 has been extremely helpful through all this; a huge thanks goes out to him.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Happy to help.

Just as an additional FYI. FDA released some new guidances on this last night. Our MDs are working through them and we are working on new SOPs.

Good news is these new regulations actually could simplify the qualification process and expand the eligible donor population...

More to come as I know it
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
New guidance update on Convalescent Plasma donor qualifications.

Donors who have been asymptomatic for 28 days, and (while sick) had a positive diagnosis/test are eligible to donate plasma for this program.

Blood banks will be working on the details and information in regards to the necessary paperwork, but this could potentially open the door to a lot of donors.
aglaohfour
AG
MyNameIsKyle said:

Sarduakar said:

I am only a presumptive case. My doctor said I probably had covid but wouldnt test me 2 weeks ago. I am basically recovered, but probably need another day or two to be perfect but I am B+ ( in clear lake)
Exactly why we should aggressively seek to test everyone. Lots of likely antibody carriers who never had symptoms.
This. If there was a test available, I would ask for it immediately and would donate plasma without hesitation. In mid-December I was the sickest I've ever been with fever, chills, dry cough, sore throat, and shortness of breath. I also had the telltale loss of taste and smell which I didn't pay much attention to at the time since everything else was so painful. Tested negative for flu and strep. The NP I saw prescribed antibiotics and tamiflu because she was certain that the negative tests were a fluke and that I had either flu, strep, or both. Meds didn't help at all. I was bedridden from December 14-26 and in horrible pain for most of that time. My taste and smell didn't return until after New Year's.

In early December, my daughter came home from school with a low grade fever and mild cough that persisted for a couple of days. She also tested negative for flu. Didn't test for strep because she didn't have any symptoms. The pediatrician told me it was probably just a combination of a bad cold and allergies.

My husband travels all over and had been in Europe. He never got sick, but he very rarely does. Daughter also has classmates whose parents travel internationally on a frequent basis and a few of them spent a couple of days out with fever and cough in the same time frame.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Just a heads up... we are currently looking at a test for antibodies. depending on FDA rules, and they are changing frequently right now, we may or may not be able to admit you into the program based on the anti-body test.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I am A-. I supposedly had or have it but have not been tested. Not sure I can help but once serology studies start.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
I'm type B- in Houston and not entirely sure if I've had it (if so it was an extremely mild/asymptomatic case) but as a 34 year old father I'm happy to take an antibody test if available and donate plasma if needed.

Feel free to PM me or reach out via email
thunderkatalyst d0t ag att gmail d0t com
Thanks & Gig 'Em
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
The way the current trial is set up, we really need them to start testing the non critical cases so we can get a good pool of donors. With out that initial positive test, potential donors aren't eligible once better and symptom free.

It's a real catch 22.
Complete Idiot
fisherpricerailgun said:

Happy update time:

While doctors say my coworker's family memeber will still need to be on ECMO machine for his lungs for a couple of weeks, he's stable (but still critical) and has been taken off the heart ECMO machine. He's been approved by the FDA for plasma donation, so the hospital has started reaching out to potential donors (no one is confirmed yet). To @SoulSlaveAg2005's advice, I believe they're also going to be reaching out to some of the bloodbanks in the region that are standing-up COVID-19 survivor donation programs.

Thanks again for everyone's support here. @SoulSlaveAG2005 has been extremely helpful through all this; a huge thanks goes out to him.
I'm so happy to hear he has pulled through and will be going back to his wife, children, and friends. Sounds like a close one, just awesome to hear he made it through.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Our partners at UTSW have been helping us spearhead this program in North Texas. Here is a link with instructions for potential donors to follow in the event they could donate plasma.

https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/covid-19/about-virus-donate-plasma/
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Some really good news today to open up the potential donor pool. No longer does it just have to be a positive Laboratory test... if can be from a clinical diagnosis as well. This is HUGE!

Quote:

Individuals may be eligible to donate convalescent plasma if they meet all regular blood donor requirements and meet the following minimum requirements:

prior diagnosis for COVID-19 by laboratory test and complete resolution of symptoms for at least 28 days or;
prior diagnosis for COVID-19 by laboratory test and complete resolution of symptoms for at least 14 days with a follow-up negative COVID-19 test or;
prior diagnosis for COVID-19 by clinical symptoms/evaluation and complete resolution of symptoms for at least 28 days; or
prior diagnosis for COVID-19 by clinical symptoms/evaluation and complete resolution of symptoms for at least 14 days with a follow-up negative COVID-19 test.

If the individual meets the criteria above, the donor center will further evaluate their eligibility which will include routine donor screening as well as possible additional pre-screen and testing related to COVID.

Individuals who have had a confirmed case of COVID-19 and have since experienced a full recovery should contact their local blood center to determine their eligibility. To find the blood center closest to you, visit https://americasblood.org/for-donors/find-a-blood-center/.

Physicians and hospitals can learn more by visiting the FDA website on convalescent plasma emergency use at: https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/investigational-new-drug-ind-or-device-exemption-ide-process-cber/investigational-covid-19-convalescent-plasma-emergency-inds.

Complete Idiot
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Some really good news today to open up the potential donor pool. No longer does it just have to be a positive Laboratory test... if can be from a clinical diagnosis as well. This is HUGE!

Quote:

Individuals may be eligible to donate convalescent plasma if they meet all regular blood donor requirements and meet the following minimum requirements:

prior diagnosis for COVID-19 by laboratory test and complete resolution of symptoms for at least 28 days or;
prior diagnosis for COVID-19 by laboratory test and complete resolution of symptoms for at least 14 days with a follow-up negative COVID-19 test or;
prior diagnosis for COVID-19 by clinical symptoms/evaluation and complete resolution of symptoms for at least 28 days; or
prior diagnosis for COVID-19 by clinical symptoms/evaluation and complete resolution of symptoms for at least 14 days with a follow-up negative COVID-19 test.

If the individual meets the criteria above, the donor center will further evaluate their eligibility which will include routine donor screening as well as possible additional pre-screen and testing related to COVID.

Individuals who have had a confirmed case of COVID-19 and have since experienced a full recovery should contact their local blood center to determine their eligibility. To find the blood center closest to you, visit https://americasblood.org/for-donors/find-a-blood-center/.

Physicians and hospitals can learn more by visiting the FDA website on convalescent plasma emergency use at: https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/investigational-new-drug-ind-or-device-exemption-ide-process-cber/investigational-covid-19-convalescent-plasma-emergency-inds.

Great news! I haven't researched plasma treatments much - been proven successful? Exciting to see this get pushed out.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Too soon to tell. But consensus right now is that 4-6 week post recovery timeline is ideal for antibody levels
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.