Spring Break, NYC, Mardi Gras, and Houston Rodeo

7,159 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TXAggie2011
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TXAggie2011 said:

jh0400 said:

It's apparent to the people who are seeing affected patients.
I've spoken with several Houston doctors and an epidemiologist, working in different locations in Medical Center and every single one is very nervous and concerned the worst it yet to come.

They've all seen, in various hospitals, the challenge notably ramp up in the past few days and they only expect it to get worse in the coming days.

[bold](Quite sadly, one of them lost a 30 year old patient to the virus a couple of days ago, and that really shook them.)[/bold]

Of course, they're all hopeful the measures taken recently will prevent the very worst.
A death of a person in their 30s in the greater Houston area? Who absolutely tested positive?

Because NONE of the outlets are reporting this. There are 4 recorded deaths, one in Fort Bend Co, one in Houston, one in Harris Co, and one in Matagorda Co. And all were 60 years or older.
BiochemAg97
AG
TXTransplant said:

htxag09 said:

For those saying it's simply not enough testing (which I agree we are way behind on), what about the disparity in the hospital situation?

If the only reason our numbers were lower was simply because we weren't testing enough, we should still have as many people in our hospitals as these other areas. And by all accounts they are on the brink of capacity and supplies. We don't seem to be anywhere near that.

Better hospital system? Responding quicker? Just a few days behind them?

Anecdotally, I'm hearing that hospitals are keeping a lid on their admissions and not giving info until someone tests positive. So, who knows how many people are hospitalized waiting on a test result.

Also, you've got to expect there are a lot of cases walking around whose symptoms aren't severe enough (yet) to require hospitalization (or even qualify for testing) or who haven't started exhibiting symptoms...yet.
Houston rodeo was before MG and SB. If you had the same spread, you would have more patients further along in the disease progression and we would have seen the hospital numbers.

And it is hard to believe the Houston hospitals are being overrun but that is somehow being kept quiet.
BiochemAg97
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

Could be as simple as the fact that there were not many people in attendence who had it. Local transmission had not yet been observed I believed and I think only two cases of people who went to the rodeo who were later confirmed to be infected. Both of them are travel cases I believe.
Hopefully. Its also a situation that when the crowds really pack in for concerts, its a younger crowd, so hopefully that helps.
No because the younger crowds are more likely to walk around with no/minimal symptoms spreading the virus.
BiochemAg97
AG
Loco84 said:

One thing that has helped limit spread in Houston is our lack of a robust mass transit system. Also think elected officials shutting things down fairly quickly and our weather are factors. Still expect a significant peak in the next few weeks but nothing like NY.
I think the lack of a mass transit system is under appreciated in this. Cars are little social distancing bubbles. You put someone infected on a bus/train and infect the dozens of people in the same car. Those then continue using the bus/train days later when they are contagious and infect dozens more each,
TXTransplant
BiochemAg97 said:

TXTransplant said:

htxag09 said:

For those saying it's simply not enough testing (which I agree we are way behind on), what about the disparity in the hospital situation?

If the only reason our numbers were lower was simply because we weren't testing enough, we should still have as many people in our hospitals as these other areas. And by all accounts they are on the brink of capacity and supplies. We don't seem to be anywhere near that.

Better hospital system? Responding quicker? Just a few days behind them?

Anecdotally, I'm hearing that hospitals are keeping a lid on their admissions and not giving info until someone tests positive. So, who knows how many people are hospitalized waiting on a test result.

Also, you've got to expect there are a lot of cases walking around whose symptoms aren't severe enough (yet) to require hospitalization (or even qualify for testing) or who haven't started exhibiting symptoms...yet.
Houston rodeo was before MG and SB. If you had the same spread, you would have more patients further along in the disease progression and we would have seen the hospital numbers.

And it is hard to believe the Houston hospitals are being overrun but that is somehow being kept quiet.

No, it wasn't. Mardi Gras was on Feb 25, and there are tons of parades on the weekend before Fat Tuesday.

The rodeo cook off was Feb 28, and the official start date was March 2. Most of the suburban Houston-area schools went on spring break March 7, and the rodeo wasn't shut down until March 11.

With that said, I don't believe either event is any more of a source of spread here in our area than is any other travel (spring break or otherwise) and community spread.

All sorts of people traveled all over for spring break that started on March 7. That was before the SHTF. If they caught something that week, their 2-week period is just ending, but if they brought it home and spread it around, it's very reasonable to think we haven't hit the peak, yet. Counties didn't start shutting things down until the week of March 16.

I didn't say I'd heard hospitals are overrun. I said they are busier with patients with virus-like symptoms than we are being told.

And we DON'T want our hospitals to be overrun. That's exactly what we are trying to prevent with the stay at home orders.

There is still the issue of testing. Montgomery Co is up to 47 cases. But we were told yesterday that only 535 tests have been run. The population of Mo Co is 600k+.

You can't test 0.09% of the population and expect the positive:negative to be correct.
TXTransplant
DP
PJYoung
AG
rally-cap said:

My first thought when New Orleans started blowing up was Mardi Gras... my girlfriend and I, along with another couple, were there the for the big Mardi Gras weekend and left the day before Fat Tuesday. I know I heard accents and languages from at least 10 different countries. None of us got sick, and we've been back for over a month, well past the incubation period. But it does have me wondering if I may have already had it and was asymptomatic.

New Orleans 1st case was 13 days after fat Tuesday
MAROON
AG
cone said:

Spring Break helped create the ATL outbreak

Care to link prod of this claim?

I'll say that ATL has one of the largest airports in the world and also a robust mass transit system. Those would be my guess as to why cases in ATL could be elevated
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
AvidAggie
AG
Houston confirmed cases jumped from 69 to 232 today.
Forum Troll
AG
Backlog on results probably. Aren't turnaround times still 7 days at least. I know my wife's medical group has their results taking that long.
PJYoung
AG
Forum Troll said:

Backlog on results probably. Aren't turnaround times still 7 days at least. I know my wife's medical group has their results taking that long.
Test results seem to be like 4 to 10 days right now.
CDub06
AG
I know someone in Montgomery County who took a test last Saturday, found out on Thursday that the sample was mishandled. And went back today for a 2nd test.

I know another person that took a test last Saturday and is still waiting for results.

The truth is the turnaround time has been quite understated. It's a mess and our numbers are a farce.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Turnaround times 10+ days now for COVID assay. These rapid assays need to be available now.
TXAggie2011
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

Could be as simple as the fact that there were not many people in attendence who had it. Local transmission had not yet been observed I believed and I think only two cases of people who went to the rodeo who were later confirmed to be infected. Both of them are travel cases I believe.
Hopefully. Its also a situation that when the crowds really pack in for concerts, its a younger crowd, so hopefully that helps.
No because the younger crowds are more likely to walk around with no/minimal symptoms spreading the virus.

That's sort of the point. The population there is less likely than the general population to start pounding down the ER doors if they were spreading it around to each other during Chance the Rapper and Co.

Obviously they leave and go interact with other folks, but that would show up later.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.