We are sheltering until WHAT exactly?

11,392 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by chris1515
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What Is the event that will trigger a release from sheltering in place? I saw Fauci's comment about seeing the curve decline. But once we relax the sheltering, won't it just reappear?

Are we holding out until a vaccine is available? That's way too long.

Are we hopeful for some antibody?

Are we waiting for some drug to be proven effective?

Waiting on another 200,000 ventilators or something to be produced?

I'm just curious what exactly will need to happen before we can get the "all clear"?
JB99
AG
Good question. And despite what Trump wants, these decisions will be made at the local level.
diehard03
Quote:

I'm just curious what exactly will need to happen before we can get the "all clear"?

if you just mean shelter in place, I agree with many people's May timeframe. But I don't think large scale events are coming back for a long time.

Just as it rolled in in stages, it will roll out in stages.
Observer
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

if you just mean shelter in place, I agree with many people's May timeframe. But I don't think large scale events are coming back for a long time.

I don't see how this can end unless new cases reach zero. If the virus is still in circulation, even in small number, it will quickly mushroom very large number in very short duration as we have seen.
PJYoung
AG
For one, the longer we wait, the more prepared our medical workers will be on the front lines. Right now we are critically short of PPE.

It also gives us time to figure out a therapy prodical that helps reduce the severity of the virus.

It also gives us time to expand rapid testing which will help isolate and quarantine.

Most of all it will spread the virus out over time so our hospitals wont get overwhelmed all at once.

This delay is literally saving lives.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
The trigger will be sufficient testing combined with either:

a) 7-10 days of local ICU load below capacity, or
b) no local ICU overload.
normaleagle05
AG
Observer said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

I don't see how this can end unless new cases reach zero. If the virus is still in circulation, even in small number, it will quickly mushroom very large number in very short duration as we have seen.
There is a name for this. Starvation.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
With most schools likely out for remainder of this semester, going to be somewhat difficult for a lot of folks to go back until at least summer break.
Proposition Joe
Yeah, I think the key is people are thinking about "how will the virus ever be completely gone?" but that's not really what we're going to wait on -- we're just trying to get to the point that WHEN people get this virus in the future that there are adequate medical supports for them.

People are still gonna get it, people are still gonna die... But if the mortality rate continues to go down and we have measures in place to isolate/trace hotspots, then ultimately the people who get it, get it, and we give them the best care we can.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
When ammo and toilet paper are readily available.
HotardAg07
AG
I think when the daily new cases are shrinking and within an amoun that we can confidently do contact tracing on new cases to track down potential asymptomatic patients.

I like this grpah that shows % change.

Post removed:
by user
chris1515
AG
It seems to me that if this is really as contagious as they say, I just don't see how we can ever say we are really equipped for it...until a vaccine is available.
It feels like the numbers will always be too overwhelming.

Maybe it's the need for readily and widely available and near instantaneous testing.
Sq 17
without these orders the Olds would still be running errands ,going to church, going to Drs apots etc. changing the Olds behavior to keep them from clogging up the icu also important
Bankeraggie
AG
I actually don't think there is a consensus answer just yet. I think all of the social distancing was a reaction to the fear of massively overwhelming numbers. The optics on millions dead is obviously bad.

However, now that we are here, I'm not sure there is a plan to get is out. I'm not trying to be critical, I just don't think there is a good answer.
deadbq03
AG
We wouldn't have to do a blanket sheltering if our testing capacity was worth a crap. Countries like Germany and South Korea had their **** together and were able to keep business open but also identify the sick and the folks that they contacted and lock those specific people down instead of closing the whole country.
Drip99
AG
CassiusClay said:

As others have pointed out, its about buying time until we get capacity & supplies in place to avoid being overrun.

At the onset in Italy, people were being refused treatment, dying in home, and days went by before corpses could be picked up. There's alot of generational housing there so families were surrounded by dead loved ones l, while not knowing what the hell was actually going on.

Ok once we get capacity, ppe and ready to handle this then what? Certainly we cant just say 6th street is open for business, mlb start playing games, pack the restaurants right? With active cases, there will be outbreaks again, especially in populated places. Then u have the whole international travel issue...if we stop it here but it festering in other places how do we control it?
Ranger222
AG
Until we have the testing capacity to test hundreds of thousands of people every single day. That's my goal. To get us to a South Korea "steady state" where there are new cases every day, but they're minuscule (<100). That requires tons and tons of testing to identify hot spots so we can effectively isolate only those areas while the rest of a community and the country ultimately goes about its business.

The fact that we haven't heard, after three weeks, that "today the United States has contracted with company X to produce millions of test kits that will be ready by date Y" makes me think that won't happen for some time and I don't know why we haven't done it yet.
deadbq03
AG
Ranger222 said:

Until we have the testing capacity to test hundreds of thousands of people every single day. That's my goal. To get us to a South Korea "steady state" where there are new cases every day, but they're minuscule (<100). That requires tons and tons of testing to identify hot spots so we can effectively isolate only those areas while the rest of a community and the country ultimately goes about its business.

The fact that we haven't heard, after three weeks, that "today the United States has contracted with company X to produce millions of test kits that will be ready by date Y" makes me think that won't happen for some time and I don't know why we haven't done it yet.
Amen. Like I said, the countries who are doing this right had the capacity to test from day 1 and had targeted quarantines.

As opposed to denial for a month and then blanket lockdowns.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
It's really pretty mind boggling how ill prepared we have been as a country. We should have known this is coming for months now.
MicheIangeIo
AG
chris1515 said:

What Is the event that will trigger a release from sheltering in place? I saw Fauci's comment about seeing the curve decline. But once we relax the sheltering, won't it just reappear?

you flatten the curve by allowing the disease to spread over a longer period time. instead of 100,000 people being infected in 2 weeks, you try to move that to over 3 months ,not hard. dont override the hospitals, hth
MicheIangeIo
AG
JB99 said:

Good question. And despite what Trump wants, these decisions will be made at the local level.
no not a good question
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
MicheIangeIo said:

chris1515 said:

you flatten the curve by allowing the disease to spread over a longer period time. instead of 100,000 people being infected in 2 weeks, you try to move that to over 3 months ,not hard. dont override the hospitals, hth
Right, but what about everyone who is quickly running out of money because they have been laid off or their jobs aren't paying them when they aren't come in? Having no money to feed your family isn't much more fun than getting the virus.
Post removed:
by user
Justin2010
AG
It'll be mid April, I'm guessing. Maybe by Easter.

The key here isn't getting new cases down to zero, it's approving an effective treatment and getting enough of it out there that the mortality rate falls to flu levels.

If that hasn't happened by mid April then I'll be pissed and I think you'll be looking at a lot of widespread frustration and anger.

We can only do this for so long... People are already getting impatient.
fig96
AG
Justin2010 said:

It'll be mid April, I'm guessing. Maybe by Easter.

The key here isn't getting new cases down to zero, it's approving an effective treatment and getting enough of it out there that the mortality rate falls to flu levels.

If that hasn't happened by mid April then I'll be pissed and I think you'll be looking at a lot of widespread frustration and anger.

We can only do this for so long... People are already getting impatient.
It ain't happening by Easter per just about every expert out there. Best case scenario sounds like probably early May and even that may be optimistic.

And to be honest it's kind of amazing how impatient some people are. I do get that it's really tough financially for some people, and that's a separate issue. But most places have been social distancing/working from home for like 10-12 days.
MaroonStain
AG
If not by April then...

UE skyrockets
Home foreclosures increase
Tax revenue for governments decrease
Potential for domestic violence increases
Corporate revenue numbers plummet
On
And
On

Win/win for the sadists...
Gunny456
AG
I don't believe we will ever see new cases at zero. Even with vaccines readily available we always have new cases of disease somewhere at all times of the year. If we are waiting till the day the news media says....." No reported new cases" we are done....they will never let it happen even if by miracle it will.
Gunny456
AG
Tucker Carlson talked about it on Jan. 14th. But all any MSM could report on was Impeacment, Impeachment, Impeachment. Pelosi can't wait for impeachment, then sits on sending it to the Senate on just about the same day things were really heating up in China. All her friends and others conviently had all moved their stocks also by that date. However if anyone brings that up you are tinfoil hat dude.
Fenrir
You can call it a separate issue if you want, but until there is something that feels like a more concrete goal or end date people are going to be frustrated about it and rightfully so.

Unfortunately I am starting to think people need to start preparing for some level of mitigation efforts as well as economic turmoil to last for maybe a year. Flattening the curve by its very nature is going to drag this out longer. I have no idea at what point we no longer will need to struggle to maintain cases below our medical systems ability to treat critically ill patients, but if it's anywhere close to the gap between # of ICU beds and # of people required for herd immunity this is going to take a while. I'm not sure if we end up having repeated shutdowns or having to maintain some level of isolation/social distancing to stay below our systems capacities, but we do not have any quick solutions at the moment.
74OA
AG
Yes, we are trying to flatten the curve so that the medical system isn't overwhelmed, but the answer to the OP's basic question is that we're buying time to build sufficient herd immunity to end sheltering in place, isn't it?
rgag12
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

It's really pretty mind boggling how ill prepared we have been as a country. We should have known this is coming for months now.

You realize this virus wasn't in existence until December right? It wasn't a problem until the end of January.
AG81xx
AG
When the media gets bored with it or another crisis comes.
fig96
AG
74OA said:

Yes, we are trying to flatten the curve so that the medical system isn't overwhelmed, but the answer to the OP's basic question is that we're buying time to build sufficient herd immunity to end sheltering in place, isn't it?
I've heard the herd immunity theory floated more than a few times, but from what I understand we're quite a ways off from that being effective.

We also still really have no idea how many cases we have with our current levels of testing.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.