Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,276,098 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
Reveille
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Moxley said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Hey Doc Rev
Can you differentiate ventilate, intubate and what machines are used for what and how they help the patient. The media rattles these terms out there with no context - probably because they have no idea and are just reading a screen. Also read some docs are having better luck aspirating lungs of fluid then putting on a machine - is that a possibility?

Thanks again to you and all the MDs, RNs, PAs, and NPs!

Cardiac/Pulmonary nurse here.

Intubation is the actual process of putting a breathing tube down into the lungs. Mechanical ventilation is what follows: Attaching the tube to a machine that regulates air in and out of the lung. When we say a patient is intubated, in general it is just another way of saying they are on a vent.

The lungs serve two basic purposes: Getting oxygen into the bloodstream and getting carbon dioxide out. This exchange takes place across tiny little capillaries in tiny little air sacs (alveoli) in the lung. This exchange is very delicate and our bodies do an amazing job of regulating our breathing patterns and chemicals in the blood to help keep everything in balance. Our breathing and metabolic processes work hand-in-hand to regulate the gas contents of our bloodstream.

In an illness like covid-19, the virus is attacking lung tissue and the body's inflammatory response to the virus is a double-whammy. What happens is simply that the body can't get enough oxygen into the bloodstream because some of the alveoli are blocked, inflamed, or swollen with fluid. This also can affect the ability of carbon dioxide to get out. Your brain senses this and causes you to breathe harder/faster. Typically we would start support by putting someone on a nasal cannula with extra oxygen to help make the oxygen exchange more efficient until their lungs can heal enough to be able to effectively use the oxygen out of normal air. Typically, we would progress to a face mask, then possibly a BiPAP, before mechanical ventilation. Covid is being treated a bit differently, so will let the doctors explain the reasoning for that.

If oxygen levels continue to drop, or carbon dioxide levels are very high in the bloodstream (due to lack of good exchange in the alveoli) it will require mechanical ventilation to force more air into the lung in a specific, delicate way to rebalance the blood gases and prevent organ damage. Mechanical ventilation is a very complicated process and ventilator settings will be different for each patient's respiratory and metabolic needs.

Sometimes lung inflammation can cause a change in the permeability of those capillaries, where fluid that should be elsewhere can cross into the alveolar space. This is called pulmonary edema. When your lungs have fluid in them they can't adequately exchange gases. This would also, depending on the severity, cause the need for mechanical ventilation. Pulmonary edema cannot be drawn out with a needle (at least I've never seen it attempted, please correct me if I'm wrong). It is treated with medication and careful oxygen/ventilation support.

There is another condition called a pleural effusion where fluid can build up in the space outside of the lung itself, and this can be drawn off with a needle. I'm not sure of the prevalence of that with covid-19

Thanks for answering.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
Cepe said:

I'm curious if there has been any data on the correlation between smoking/ vaping?

My thought is that the places that seem to be hit hard still have high levels of smokers (China, Italy, etc.)

I remember early on their was some speculation that the poor air quality in China was a big cause as well, but I haven't seen it discussed lately. . .
While we much data in China they did see some correlation between smoking and it appeared to have some effect.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
brownbrick said:

I keep seeing reference to doctors prescribing hydroxy chloroquine but not zinc to go along with it. I'm not a doctor, but I thought these two worked in tandem to reduce RNA replication by aiding the zinc in getting inside the cells. What are the benefits of hydroxy chloroquine without the zinc?
Most people have plenty of zinc if they eat a balanced diet.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
Thanks for the updates Dr Rev. I'm going to start wearing my homemade mask out at the grocery store etc. I'll sterilize it in my Phone Soap machine upon my return home.
Reveille
AG
H.E. Pennypacker said:

Thanks for the updates Dr Rev. I'm going to start wearing my homemade mask out at the grocery store etc. I'll sterilize it in my Phone Soap machine upon my return home.

That sounds perfect! I think we all need to start doing this kind of thing. I think if you look at South Korea and Japan where the wear more masks we see less spread of the virus!
AggieMD04
AG
Reveille said:

Max06 said:

Forgive me if this has already been answered- I've seen a ton of Facebook posts about mask shortages and tons of people making fabric masks.

Is the mask shortage that real, and are home made masks even useful?
Yes the shortage is real and yes homemade masks help. Some of my patients have made some that we can give patients to wear if they don't have them.

Yes. To add to that, in my ER here in Iowa, we are allowed one surgical mask per day and one N95 mask that we are to use multiple days until it is basically unusable. We get one gown per patient, which hangs outside the room, and the doctor, nurse, and tech all use that same gown for patient interactions. I'm an ER doc in a major city, and probably the second or third largest hospital in the state, and this is all we have. Please believe me when I say this is not something that is just being overhyped by the media. We are all nervous because we are afraid we are not sufficiently protected when we treat COVID patients.
AggieMD04
AG
AggieMD04 said:

Reveille said:

Max06 said:

Forgive me if this has already been answered- I've seen a ton of Facebook posts about mask shortages and tons of people making fabric masks.

Yes the shortage is real and yes homemade masks help. Some of my patients have made some that we can give patients to wear if they don't have them.

Yes. To add to that, in my ER here in Iowa, we are allowed one surgical mask per day and one N95 mask that we are to use multiple days until it is basically unusable. We get one gown per patient, which hangs outside the room, and the doctor, nurse, and tech all use that same gown for interactions with that patient. I'm an ER doc in a major city, and probably the second or third largest hospital in the state, and this is all we have. Please believe me when I say this is not something that is just being overhyped by the media. We are all nervous because we are afraid we are not sufficiently protected when we treat COVID patients.
AggieMD04
AG
Reveille said:

Max06 said:

Yes. To add to that, in my ER here in Iowa, we are allowed one surgical mask per day and one N95 mask that we are to use multiple days until it is basically unusable. We get one gown per patient, which hangs outside the room, and the doctor, nurse, and tech all use that same gown for interactions with that patient. I'm an ER doc in a major city, and probably the second or third largest hospital in the state, and this is all we have. Please believe me when I say this is not something that is just being overhyped by the media. We are all pretty scared because we are afraid we are not sufficiently protected when we treat COVID patients.

Edited to apologize for the triple post.
oh no
AG
anyone have a good link or some good recs or instructions for homemade masks?
OKG2000
AG
oh no said:

anyone have a good link or some good recs or instructions for homemade masks?

Watch the below at this link to learn how to make the masks.

A PDF of the pattern is available at this link:
https://courierpressblogs.com/pdf/howtomakeafacemask.pdf
oh no
AG
thanks... anyone seen any plans for homemade masks that don't require a sewing machine?
Max06
AG
Try a needle and thread?
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I have a question.

A dear friend lives in Oregon and is the caregiver for her husband who has had multiple strokes. They live in a separate apartment attached to her son's house and she is the ONLY caregiver for her husband. Way back in early April, she and Don isolated. They have not left apartment and have not interacted with family. They have had mail delivery and family has shopped for them and left things outside the entrance to their apartment. Then two days ago Don had what appeared to be another stroke and dr advised them to come to hospital . Don had a low grade fever, they did a covid test and he is positive. Shawnna was sent home and the entire family is in isolation. They kept Don who has limited abiltiy to communicate due to poor speech from stroke. They were told not enough tests to test Shawnna or the family.

Give this, how easy is it to catch this thing? I think the two living spaces share heating and cooling systems since the apartment was created by a remodel of of her son's existing house after Don had the stroke. Could it come in that way? The ONLY other way for it to have come it would be for it to have been on the surface of something in the mail, from amazon or from the grocerty store. Four weeks of isolation and he still gets it.

Or is the incubation period longer than we think?
EKUAg
AG
Reveille said:

H.E. Pennypacker said:

That sounds perfect! I think we all need to start doing this kind of thing. I think if you look at South Korea and Japan where the wear more masks we see less spread of the virus!

Why is the WHO again saying if you don't have the virus you don't need to wear a mask?
Maroon and White always! EKU/TAMU
OldArmy71
AG
Excellent question, and I'd like to piggyback off of it since no doctors responded to my question on the larger board.

I watched this video on Texags and also sent from a friend.

Among many points the doctor thereon makes is that only sustained, close proximity to a sick person can get you infected from that person's breathing. Thus at his hospital he says that the only time the care team wears N95 masks is when they are doing things that would cause the patient to cough or expel droplets. He says that other than that, everyone wears surgical masks, and no one is getting sick. He added that that was the procedure in Hong Kong and Singapore and no health providers got sick. (See minute 31.)

However, a new study from the U of Nebraska, not yet peer reviewed, seems to contradict the first doctor.

The new study says that air samples positive for the virus were found throughout the rooms of the infected and even outside in the halls.

The study said (among other things) that "the data was suggestive" that the virus was shed by mildly ill people who were not coughing or feverish or receiving oxygen by nose. In other words, people who were not obviously ill or engaged in visibly expelling droplets (coughing, sneezing) shed the virus around the room simply by breathing.

Another example happened in Washington state where 60 members of a choir gathered to practice, claiming that they did not touch and tried to keep some distance among themselves, and about 45 got sick and two died. Pretty clearly those people got sick from what I guess would be a two-hour exposure to the forceful ejection of droplets that comes with singing.

What do doctors on this board think about this issue?

Is it safe to visit three or four family members in a large, open room, without getting in someone's face?
Agristotle
AG
I thought the current wisdom is that masks do not help protect you. Is that incorrect?
chadclay
AG
It protects others in the event you are an asymptomatic carrier. It would slow transmission if everybody wore masks.
Exsurge Domine
Agristotle said:

I thought the current wisdom is that masks do not help protect you. Is that incorrect?

I believe masks mainly stop you from infecting others, and stop you from touching your mouth frequently. The more people who wear masks the better it is for everyone. Less people spreading = less people catching
BiochemAg97
AG
oh no said:

thanks... anyone seen any plans for homemade masks that don't require a sewing machine?
https://enmed.tamu.edu/DIYmasks/

These are made from HVAC filters. No sewing machine.
PPlayboy87
AG
Question for the doctors on here. . .

I've read in some places that it's a good idea to shave one's beard during this time. Is this good information? Would it be because a mask would then fit/work better, or some other reason? Just curious. I've had a beard for 30 years, but if it's gotta go, it's gotta go.
Bondag
AG
PPlayboy87 said:

I've read in some places that it's a good idea to shave one's beard during this time. Is this good information? Would it be because a mask would then fit/work better, or some other reason? Just curious. I've had a beard for 30 years, but if it's gotta go, it's gotta go.
If you wear an N95 mask you have to be clean shaven for a proper fit.
Reveille
AG
EKUAg said:

Reveille said:

H.E. Pennypacker said:

Why is the WHO again saying if you don't have the virus you don't need to wear a mask?
This statement is because masks work best when are placed on the sick person. However, with so many asymptomatic patients out there we simply don't know who those people are. I think having everyone wear masks until we better determine who has the virus is the answer. If you look at countries like South Korea and Japan where they are doing this they are keeping their infections down more than other countries.
Reveille
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

I have a question.

A dear friend lives in Oregon and is the caregiver for her husband who has had multiple strokes. They live in a separate apartment attached to her son's house and she is the ONLY caregiver for her husband. Way back in early April, she and Don isolated. They have not left apartment and have not interacted with family. They have had mail delivery and family has shopped for them and left things outside the entrance to their apartment. Then two days ago Don had what appeared to be another stroke and dr advised them to come to hospital . Don had a low grade fever, they did a covid test and he is positive. Shawnna was sent home and the entire family is in isolation. They kept Don who has limited abiltiy to communicate due to poor speech from stroke. They were told not enough tests to test Shawnna or the family.

Give this, how easy is it to catch this thing? I think the two living spaces share heating and cooling systems since the apartment was created by a remodel of of her son's existing house after Don had the stroke. Could it come in that way? The ONLY other way for it to have come it would be for it to have been on the surface of something in the mail, from amazon or from the grocerty store. Four weeks of isolation and he still gets it.

Or is the incubation period longer than we think?
Not sure but I would guess she is positive and gave it to him if he doesn't leave the house. She should isolate and assume she is positive. She most likely caught it from someone she had contact with in the family or from a surface she touched. Just impossible to tell at this point.
Reveille
AG
PPlayboy87 said:

I don't know how much proof there is of this but yes it is believed it is safer to shave your beard. Many theories, the virus can live there easier. Harder to keep clean, masks don't fit tight, you touch your face more etc.
PPlayboy87
AG
I guess it's gotta go then.

Thanks for the confirmation, Rev!
P.U.T.U
AG
From my coworkers that have longer beards I would strongly consider shaving your beards since for some reason they have to stroke it all day. Don't know what it is by they cannot keep their hands off of their beards.
greenband
AG
Unless you work in a hospital where the coronavirus can be aerolasized (or you plan to be in prolonged close contact with an infected person) the purpose of a mask is so you don't infect others. As you talk, cough, and breathe you aren't spreading (potentially) coronavirus laden droplets all over the surfaces around you.

It also serves as a good reminder to you and others not touch your face.

So reusing the same mask for yourself, a bandanna, jockstrap, etc. all work equally well. Sharing a mask would be a bad idea though.
maroonbeansnrice
AG
OldArmy71 said:

Excellent question, and I'd like to piggyback off of it since no doctors responded to my question on the larger board.

Among many points the doctor thereon makes is that only sustained, close proximity to a sick person can get you infected from that person's breathing. Thus at his hospital he says that the only time the care team wears N95 masks is when they are doing things that would cause the patient to cough or expel droplets. He says that other than that, everyone wears surgical masks, and no one is getting sick. He added that that was the procedure in Hong Kong and Singapore and no health providers got sick. (See minute 31.)

However, a new study from the U of Nebraska, not yet peer reviewed, seems to contradict the first doctor.

The new study says that air samples positive for the virus were found throughout the rooms of the infected and even outside in the halls.

The study said (among other things) that "the data was suggestive" that the virus was shed by mildly ill people who were not coughing or feverish or receiving oxygen by nose. In other words, people who were not obviously ill or engaged in visibly expelling droplets (coughing, sneezing) shed the virus around the room simply by breathing.

Another example happened in Washington state where 60 members of a choir gathered to practice, claiming that they did not touch and tried to keep some distance among themselves, and about 45 got sick and two died. Pretty clearly those people got sick from what I guess would be a two-hour exposure to the forceful ejection of droplets that comes with singing.

Is it safe to visit three or four family members in a large, open room, without getting in someone's face?
I wouldn't put too much automatic credence in the supposed U. Nebraska citation. I'll let the docs comment on Covid-19 floating around in air samples for any length of time (I am skeptical), but I also find reason to doubt the source of this info. If you click on the link your provided and scan down on the medRxiv page it goes to, to the CC-BY-NC-ND 4.0 International license.source of funding for this article and it leads to a dubious (in my view) Creative Commons, that I will let others do their own internet sleuthing on.

Wasn't Washington Sate more or less ground zero for Covid-19? Agree with you singing is a fairly forceful ejection of breath. 45 got sick? From? Source of this info? Two people in a 60 person choir dead from Covid-19 (again source or article link) does not exclude the possibility they caught it somewhere else in the city?
“It ain’t like it used to be.”
-Jimbo Fisher
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Source LA times.chorus where the virus spread.
maroonbeansnrice
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

Source LA times.chorus where the virus spread.
Thanks. That's helpful. Among other things they. "Some members helped set up or remove folding chairs. A few helped themselves to mandarins that had been put out on a table in back."

There was physical contact with objects, not just the singing. It has been traced back genetically state that one Chinese person infected at least 39 people. Care for a little cough on your stack of chairs or mandarins. These poor souls chose to not listen to the ongoing warnings. My only point is the consistent (in my view disinformation) is this virus can float around in the air waiting to strike. Take precautions yes! Isolate, wear a mask and gloves if you have to go out, etc. but let's not support hysteria.
“It ain’t like it used to be.”
-Jimbo Fisher
3rd Generation Ag
AG

And singers are making forceful air bursts that might be almost as hard as a sneeze. It is more than a simple exhale.

I was out today for the first time in three weeks. Needed to pick up milk, bread, butter and a few other things. A friend suggested Braums. Wore a mask and used hand sanitizer the moment back in car.

I read where a similar apt complex(over 55) in the Woodlands got full quaranteen after positive cases. No one in and out, so I needed to be prepared. Hope I can go another three weeks without leaving . Staying home is staying safe.
rws92
AG
Exsurge Domine said:

Agristotle said:

I believe masks mainly stop you from infecting others, and stop you from touching your mouth frequently. The more people who wear masks the better it is for everyone. Less people spreading = less people catching
Given an unlimited supply of masks yes but what worries me is the TP effect and the people that really need our limited supply not getting them.
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill
BiochemAg97
AG
maroonbeansnrice said:

OldArmy71 said:

I wouldn't put too much automatic credence in the supposed U. Nebraska citation. I'll let the docs comment on Covid-19 floating around in air samples for any length of time (I am skeptical), but I also find reason to doubt the source of this info. If you click on the link your provided and scan down on the medRxiv page it goes to, to the CC-BY-NC-ND 4.0 International license.source of funding for this article and it leads to a dubious (in my view) Creative Commons, that I will let others do their own internet sleuthing on.

Wasn't Washington Sate more or less ground zero for Covid-19? Agree with you singing is a fairly forceful ejection of breath. 45 got sick? From? Source of this info? Two people in a 60 person choir dead from Covid-19 (again source or article link) does not exclude the possibility they caught it somewhere else in the city?
The NU study looked at virus in an isolation room after a positive patient was in isolation for 5+ days. It isn't surprising that if you hang out in a space, you have touched or breathed on just about everything in the room.

Reveille
AG
Today's update!

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2656635241286083/?sfnsn=mo
HotardAg07
AG
Thank you for your post. It's hard for me to be encouraged by potential flattening in case increases because our testing capability is not growing at a rate that could keep up with our case load. That seems to br backed up anecdotally by doctors on this board mentioning longer lab times for returning lab results, indicating that the tests per day going into the lab is greater than their capacity to analyze them.

@COVID19Tracking: The US has now completed tests on over 1 million people: 1,048,971 to be exact.

It's a milestone.

But/and our daily number of completed tests does not appear to be rising anymore.

For full details, see: https://t.co/PZrmH4bl5Y https://t.co/kW9lNHZafL
Shaun Shaikh '07
First Page Last Page
Page 40 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.