Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,276,169 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
Reveille
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

flyfishingaggie said:

Hi Dr,
I live in California and my parents are in Houston area. They are only giving my dad at best 4 weeks (not COVID-19, but cancer).

What are travel recommendations at this time? It would just be me, i would not take my family but definitely do not want to put my parents and my family at further risk if I do travel.

I am also checking with my DR on recommendations.

Not a doctor, but I am curious about travel recommendations as my job is based around travel.

Any thoughts Rev?
I would not recommend travel at this time. We need to get this under much better control before we start traveling around. Unfortunately, I think that will be awhile.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Counterpoint
AG
Question that will probably sound extremely dumb to all the amazing medically knowledgeable folks on here...

For this vaccine, why can't we use the exact same process that we use to make the flu vaccine, except insert the inactivated SARS-CoV-2 virus instead of the inactivated flu virus? Or, if that IS how we do it, why do we have to test it for a year or more? If it's because the virus is so new, aren't the flu strains they put in the flu vaccine new every year also?

Flexbone
Reveille said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

flyfishingaggie said:

Hi Dr,
I live in California and my parents are in Houston area. They are only giving my dad at best 4 weeks (not COVID-19, but cancer).

What are travel recommendations at this time? It would just be me, i would not take my family but definitely do not want to put my parents and my family at further risk if I do travel.

Not a doctor, but I am curious about travel recommendations as my job is based around travel.

Any thoughts Rev?
I would not recommend travel at this time. We need to get this under much better control before we start traveling around. Unfortunately, I think that will be awhile.

What if he just drives?
Sid Farkas
AG
Flexbone said:

Reveille said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

flyfishingaggie said:

Hi Dr,

Any thoughts Rev?
What if he just drives?
I live in SoCal with parents in an assisted living facility in Austin area. They're both high risk (age and health conditions), the facility is diligent about quarantining and keeping them comfy.

I've thought thru a contingency plan to drive there in the event something goes wrong. I plan to fill my car with food and water for the 24 hour trip and aim to nap in my car at rest or truck stops. (i can do that drive with my eyes closed)

I think it can be done relatively easily. I'd be interested to hear a doc's opinion too. Tia.
BANA89
AG
I'm not sure they exactly know how to inactivate it for one, after all this thing survives longer on surfaces than most viruses. They first need to know what "inactivated" means. Second, I don't know whether the rumors of more than one strain is true, but that complicated things if It is true. Third, this thing has a wide range of symptoms so you can't just test a small batch and know that it works. You have to try to figure out how to avoid testing a bunch of subjects that will be a symptomatic and incorrectly think works, Further, the tests have an estimated 30% false positive rate, making it difficult to confirm for sure whether a patient is clear or not. Basically, statisticians have a lot of work to do to even figure out what type and size trial it would take to confirm a test even when you believe you have a strong candidate vaccine. This one is more complicated than some are even with modern scientific tools.
BiochemAg97
AG
Sid Farkas said:

Flexbone said:

Reveille said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

flyfishingaggie said:

Hi Dr,

Any thoughts Rev?
What if he just drives?
I live in SoCal with parents in an assisted living facility in Austin area. They're both high risk (age and health conditions), the facility is diligent about quarantining and keeping them comfy.

I've thought thru a contingency plan to drive there in the event something goes wrong. I plan to fill my car with food and water for the 24 hour trip and aim to nap in my car at rest or truck stops. (i can do that drive with my eyes closed)

I think it can be done relatively easily. I'd be interested to hear a doc's opinion too. Tia.
Gov just indicated self quarantine of 14 days for people who travel from hotspots (mostly because of NYC).

That said, if you effectively self isolate in SoCal and maintain isolation during the trip, then you could have an effective 14 day quarantine that ends when you get here.

BiochemAg97
AG
Counterpoint said:

Question that will probably sound extremely dumb to all the amazing medically knowledgeable folks on here...

For this vaccine, why can't we use the exact same process that we use to make the flu vaccine, except insert the inactivated SARS-CoV-2 virus instead of the inactivated flu virus? Or, if that IS how we do it, why do we have to test it for a year or more? If it's because the virus is so new, aren't the flu strains they put in the flu vaccine new every year also?

First, the flu vaccine takes about a year to make in sufficient doses for everyone. That is why it is not always very effective. They have to guess what flu viruses will be the biggest problems the next year, and sometimes they are wrong. So that would take about 12 months.

Second, we would spend 12 months making a vaccine that we have no idea if it works. We do not currently have a human corona virus vaccine and corona viruses behave differently than flu viruses in some aspects.
Sounds like a bad plan to me.

Third, there are several candidate vaccines being tested, including some fairly new vaccine technologies. It is possible that if the newer vaccine technologies work, but everyone is modeling the time frame based on the flu vaccine and/or clinical trial timelines for other recently developed vaccines. It is better to project the expected time based on current knowledge and get the vaccine early than to tell everyone we will have a vaccine in August and not have one until next year.
Zobel
AG
Thank you for your insight in all this.
AgLA06
AG
Quote:

Hi Dr,

You might want to check to see if you can even visit them. Most facilities like this are on lock down and not allowing visitors at all.
Badace52
AG
AgLA06 said:

Quote:

Hi Dr,

You might want to check to see if you can even visit them. Most facilities like this are on lock down and not allowing visitors at all.

This is true but many are making exceptions for end of life care. Definitely check with the hospital.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Irwin M. Fletcher
AG
Hey doc, I know you went over this but I couldn't find it combing through the pages. What is the recommended dosing for Zinc and Quercitin?
MrJonMan
AG
Hope this hasn't been shared and I missed it, but this video was sent to me.

https://vimeo.com/399733860
Lone Star Pest Control Service, Inc. Call for special Pricing!
RCR06
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Counterpoint said:

First, the flu vaccine takes about a year to make in sufficient doses for everyone. That is why it is not always very effective. They have to guess what flu viruses will be the biggest problems the next year, and sometimes they are wrong. So that would take about 12 months.

Second, we would spend 12 months making a vaccine that we have no idea if it works. We do not currently have a human corona virus vaccine and corona viruses behave differently than flu viruses in some aspects.

Third, there are several candidate vaccines being tested, including some fairly new vaccine technologies. It is possible that if the newer vaccine technologies work, but everyone is modeling the time frame based on the flu vaccine and/or clinical trial timelines for other recently developed vaccines. It is better to project the expected time based on current knowledge and get the vaccine early than to tell everyone we will have a vaccine in August and not have one until next year.
This is something I've been wondering about and even tried to do some online research about just to see if anyone had successfully made a vaccine for any corona virus. It was very difficult because the first name this virus had in the media was corona virus, which as we now know is a type of virus not the name of this specific one(covid-19). This leads me to believe there's a fair chance this may take longer than 12-18 months to develop. The encouraging thing is that different approaches are being tested across the world so hopefully one will work.
AgLA06
AG
We tried the 5mg melatonin before bed the last two nights and neither of us liked how it made us feel. Like we were drunk.
LawHall88
AG
AgLA06 said:

We tried the 5mg melatonin before bed the last two nights and neither of us liked how it made us feel. Like we were drunk.
I drink a sleep supplement every night that includes 3 mg melatonin, and it knocks me completely out. But maybe we're lightweights.
BANA89
AG
Two nights with 3 mg melatonin didn't seem to affect me enough to notice at all.
Tmoneyag99
AG
MrJonMan said:

It's really good except one problem...

All the purell in the country is sitting in a few people's garages and Amazon won't let them sell it.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I am taking two of the three mg ones and just sleeping well. It is calming but in no way makes me groggy.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
I am taking a 12mg quick dissolve melatonin tablet and feel zero noticeable effects
BiochemAg97
AG
RCR06 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

Counterpoint said:

This is something I've been wondering about and even tried to do some online research about just to see if anyone had successfully made a vaccine for any corona virus. It was very difficult because the first name this virus had in the media was corona virus, which as we now know is a type of virus not the name of this specific one(covid-19). This leads me to believe there's a fair chance this may take longer than 12-18 months to develop. The encouraging thing is that different approaches are being tested across the world so hopefully one will work.
There is a vaccine for corona virus in cows. There is work on a pig vaccine. The human Coronas aren't really a big problem, basically one of at least three families of viruses that is responsible for the "common cold", so probably not a lot of motivation for a vaccine outside of SARS, MERS, and COVID. I believe there was some work on a SARS vaccine, but that issue passed before we got there, so interest and funding likely diminished over time.
This is a summary of SARS vaccine work in early 2000s when SARS was a recent thing.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3371787/
Lots of animal studies, and concern about the safety of the one being testing in China way back in the early 2000s.

The most recent thing I found was 2014.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24355931
Baylor College of Medicine mentions a partnership with Texas Children's to develop SARS and MERS vaccines, but that was the most recent paper I could find, suggesting they weren't doing much in the way of human trials.

Interestingly, the BCM candidate is a yeast produced protein. Flu vaccine production is primarily done by growing virus in chicken eggs and takes a long time. Growing proteins in recombinant yeast would be considerably faster.

What is really sad is that antibodies from mice immunized for SARS-CoV cross reacts with SARS-CoV2 spike protein. If we had finished a SARS vaccine, COVID19 probably wouldn't be a problem because the same vaccine would work.
ham98
Tmoneyag99 said:

MrJonMan said:

It's really good except one problem...

All the purell in the country is sitting in a few people's garages and Amazon won't let them sell it.
shortages are more noble and moral than high prices. Get with the program comrade
maroonbeansnrice
AG
I watched a Fauci interview from yesterday, and if I understood what he said correctly it seems this virus is fairly unique and not mutating as of yet. Making a vaccine down the line viable. He also seemed to say we are developing sufficient therapies now, that if he resurfaces next "flu season" we will be better prepared for those who didn't get it this go round. Combine that with the herd immunity of those who did get it and are fine, although he selects his words carefully and caveats for unknowns, I took what he had to say as positive.
“It ain’t like it used to be.”
-Jimbo Fisher
MrJonMan
AG
This is true

I bought some off flea bay, way over priced but needed it in my truck since I'm still out working.

2 days after it arrives teachers are allowed to go get supplies from their classroom to help working at home and she brought her unopened gallon jug of it home that we bought at Costco last summer.....fail
Lone Star Pest Control Service, Inc. Call for special Pricing!
Old RV Ag
AG
This is turning into a general discussion and not the Physicians thread anymore. There are only two doc (with new tags) posts on this entire page. Maybe move lots of this to other threads.
Counterpoint
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Counterpoint said:

Thank you so much, and thanks to BANA as well (something I thought I'd never say since that was my major!)
aggieelmore
AG
Up it to 10mg. Lol
Player To Be Named Later
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

What is really sad is that antibodies from mice immunized for SARS-CoV cross reacts with SARS-CoV2 spike protein. If we had finished a SARS vaccine, COVID19 probably wouldn't be a problem because the same vaccine would work.

Wasn't any profit to be had at that point
BiochemAg97
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

BiochemAg97 said:

Wasn't any profit to be had at that point

That and with no crisis, the govt probably found something else to spend money on.
Reveille
AG
Today's update

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2654730061476601/?sfnsn=mo
Max06
AG
Forgive me if this has already been answered- I've seen a ton of Facebook posts about mask shortages and tons of people making fabric masks.

Is the mask shortage that real, and are home made masks even useful?
AgLA06
AG
Thanks doc.
TAMUallen
AG
Max06 said:

Forgive me if this has already been answered- I've seen a ton of Facebook posts about mask shortages and tons of people making fabric masks.

Is the mask shortage that real, and are home made masks even useful?

The mask shortage is definitely real. Homemade masks are more useful than no mask and can be just as useful depending on the material used.
GaryClare
AG
cdouglas
AG
Hope that happens in September of this year and not September of 2021 or 2022
Diyala Nick
AG
Very interesting study from Yale released a few hours ago regarding cytokine storm.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1244409779667206145.html
First Page Last Page
Page 38 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.