Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,276,234 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Reveille said:

Today's update!

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2652913241658283/?sfnsn=mo

Have any thoughts on the drop in new deaths. Kinda looks like the death curve is flattening, but that shouldn't be the case as deaths lag positive tests by a week or so.

One day doesn't make a trend, but do you see any evidence that some of the potential treatments are working or is it just a statistical anomaly.

Also, with all the talk of hydroxychloroquine, remdesivir seems to have been ignored. Any word on the randomized controlled trials they were doing in a China? I know that one is harder to use since it isn't approved and can't just be used off label like hydroxychloroquine.
wendellb
AG
Here's a formal study regarding treatment with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924857920300996?via%3Dihub

Look at the second graph in the article.
Ag12thman
AG
Reveille said:

Today's update!

This is your best update yet, Dr. Thanks for every single one. I read them daily. I also forward them to family and friends who are not TexAgs members.
willtackleforfood
AG
Spoiler:

"We enrolled 36 out of 42 patients meeting the inclusion criteria in this study that had at least six days of follow-up at the time of the present analysis. A total of 26 patients received hydroxychloroquine and 16 were control patients. Six hydroxychloroquine-treated patients were lost in follow-up during the survey because of early cessation of treatment.

At day6 post-inclusion, 100% of patients treated with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin combination were virologicaly cured comparing with 57.1% in patients treated with hydroxychloroquine only, and 12.5% in the control group (p<0.001)."

Very encouraging, thanks for posting wendellb!
Complete Idiot
wendellb said:

Here's a formal study regarding treatment with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924857920300996?via%3Dihub

That is the report that came out 8 days ago and was the real start of the public discussing HCQ and azithromycin. While encouraging I believe some questioned the small sample size and suggested more studies are needed. Hopefully get some additional reports from others soon.
BiochemAg97
AG
Complete Idiot said:

wendellb said:

That is the report that came out 8 days ago and was the real start of the public discussing HCQ and azithromycin. While encouraging I believe some questioned the small sample size and suggested more studies are needed. Hopefully get some additional reports from others soon.
Looks like NY is starting a much larger observational study, if viral clearance is as fast as in Italy, we should see results in a little over a week. Still not a large scale randomized controlled trial, but I'm not sure anyone wants to give placebos to a lot of patients at this point.
SA68AG
AG
Dr Rev,

I'm in my early seventies and fit - normal heart rate is in upper 40's - but I have afib and/or irregular heart beat episodes once or twice a week where heart rate goes into 70s.

Questions - Is this considered an underlying condition? Does this preclude chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine treatments if I get the virus?

Thank you for having this forum and your hard work.

Reveille
AG
SA68AG said:

Dr Rev,

I'm in my early seventies and fit - normal heart rate is in upper 40's - but I have afib and/or irregular heart beat episodes once or twice a week where heart rate goes into 70s.

Questions - Is this considered an underlying condition? Does this preclude chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine treatments if I get the virus?

Yes it is an underlying condition. Interesting question regarding treatment with hydroxycholoroquine as it and zithromax can potentially prolong the QT interval so I think in your situation you need to discuss it with your cardiologist.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SlygirlAg
AG
Ag12thman said:

Reveille said:

Today's update!

This is your best update yet, Dr. Thanks for every single one. I read them daily. I also forward them to family and friends who are not TexAgs members.
I look for them every day as well, and share on Facebook for my friends. So many people have told me how much they appreciate the information I am sharing from you, and how they appreciate your cool, calm and collected demeanor.

Gig 'em and prayers to you and all our health care professionals on the front lines fighting this pandemic!
Diyala Nick
AG
I'm not a doctor, and I'm also not a believer that vitamins are some sort of panacea. That said, this is incredibly interesting:

(Synopsis: meta analysis demonstrates that high dose Vitamin C substantially reduces ventilator time in critically I'll patients)

https://jintensivecare.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40560-020-0432-y
Bondag
AG
Diyala Nick said:

I'm not a doctor, and I'm also not a believer that vitamins are some sort of panacea. That said, this is incredibly interesting:

(Synopsis: meta analysis demonstrates that high dose Vitamin C substantially reduces ventilator time in critically I'll patients)

https://jintensivecare.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40560-020-0432-y

Not a doctor either but your body can only absorb so much of a vitamin so taking too much just makes expensive piss.

flyfishingaggie
Hi Dr,
I live in California and my parents are in Houston area. They are only giving my dad at best 4 weeks (not COVID-19, but cancer).

What are travel recommendations at this time? It would just be me, i would not take my family but definitely do not want to put my parents and my family at further risk if I do travel.

I am also checking with my DR on recommendations.
Swallace30

Please watch this!! Doctor is from A&M also. Tried to send to TexAgs to post on twitter so they could share but I couldn't . Explains exactly how this is NOT the flu, and just how serious this is.
Swallace30
Also he recorded this on March 23rd, and has been pretty spot on with his prediction of numbers
SA68AG
AG
Reveille said:

SA68AG said:

Dr Rev,

Yes it is an underlying condition. Interesting question regarding treatment with hydroxycholoroquine as it and zithromax can potentially prolong the QT interval so I think in your situation you need to discuss it with your cardiologist.
Thank you for your response.
buzzardb267
AG
Thanks for that video. I have had a hard time wrapping my head around all the terminology and acronyms being thrown around. And, even more difficulty connecting them all together. This was very informative in plain English.
Swallace30
No problem I'm glad it helps!! My mom sent it to me and I have been trying to share as much as I can! Knew my fellow ags would appreciate and share with some people who don't quite understand the consequences of their carelessness
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Ok that video just scared me to death.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Very informative and sobering. Going to take some time digesting, and even more time on my knees praying. Will not let anyone tell me this was not Chinese. They very well may have knocked out the entire world. God help us all. God's peace be with all of you!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Counterpoint
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

Ok that video just scared me to death.
Why did I watch that??!
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Yeah, I'm not watching those sort of things. I'm scared enough already
AgLA06
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

Yeah, I'm not watching those sort of things. I'm scared enough already

Of history of the virus holds true. It won't be close to correct anyway. No sense in getting worked up if you're following the guidelines.
shalackin
AG
Video was informational and good. But he doesn't know anymore than anyone else. Best case or worst case. Not sure why it is any scarier than reading what our front line docs have been saying here.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Probably isn't any more scary. Speaking for only myself though, I'm starting to reach overload with the scary ****. I'm just going to try to be as healthy as I can, follow guidelines, and watch my hygiene. At some point, just doesn't serve any further purpose for me to read the worst case scenarios.
MrJonMan
AG
I didn't watch the video. Thankfully don't have time this evening, as if it's truly "scary" I might not want to watch it.

However, I see some saying it's the same as we have heard already, so any one have the cliff notes version?
Lone Star Pest Control Service, Inc. Call for special Pricing!
Old RV Ag
AG
MrJonMan said:

I didn't watch the video. Thankfully don't have time this evening, as if it's truly "scary" I might not want to watch it.

However, I see some saying it's the same as we have heard already, so any one have the cliff notes version?
He doesn't know anymore than the docs on here. However, his video is a concise package of what's going on. And, he uses visual references that allow basic information to be better understood by the lay person.
shalackin
AG
MrJonMan said:

TLDR: Virus is bad. Causes pneumonia. Very contagious. Will keep growing in numbers for months to come.
Robk
MrJonMan said:

n/m
Swallace30
Biggest take away for me was I thought underlying conditions meant only serious medical conditions, however the doctor explains that If you have high blood pressure or are obese than you are also at serious risk if you get the disease
MrJonMan
AG
Thanks everyone

Sounds like it was a lot of the stuff I already knew, judging from the responses.
Lone Star Pest Control Service, Inc. Call for special Pricing!
Reveille
AG
Today's update
Thanks Swallace for the video I liked that easy for people to understand video of how this disease destroys the lung. The sponge is a great demonstration.

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2653812104901730/?sfnsn=mo

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
plain_o_llama
Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated. We really appreciate your efforts.
clintaggie04
AG
I take Lisinopril for high blood pressure. It is an ACE inhibitor. Do you recommend me talking with my doctor about trying a different medicine such as a beta blocker?
fightingfarmer09
flyfishingaggie said:

Hi Dr,
I live in California and my parents are in Houston area. They are only giving my dad at best 4 weeks (not COVID-19, but cancer).

What are travel recommendations at this time? It would just be me, i would not take my family but definitely do not want to put my parents and my family at further risk if I do travel.

I am also checking with my DR on recommendations.

Not a doctor, but I am curious about travel recommendations as my job is based around travel.

Any thoughts Rev?
Reveille
AG
clintaggie04 said:

I take Lisinopril for high blood pressure. It is an ACE inhibitor. Do you recommend me talking with my doctor about trying a different medicine such as a beta blocker?
Currently they don't recommend changing medications but we are looking into it. You should talk to your doctor for sure as recommendations may change as more studies become available.

https://www.escardio.org/Councils/Council-on-Hypertension-(CHT)/News/position-statement-of-the-esc-council-on-hypertension-on-ace-inhibitors-and-ang?fbclid=IwAR2sGlu9N5O2YTKt6wKOXSyKpoCWnWHZypd2ESLpkT3EzlL5Q7sgroSc8ls

First Page Last Page
Page 37 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.