Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,276,291 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
MrJonMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
According to Reveille, I got the impression he says I stop the Vitamin D supplement and just do the daily vitamin and then an additional C supplement.

Maybe I interpreted it wrong though
Lone Star Pest Control Service, Inc. Call for special Pricing!
MAROON
AG
He said to stop the D if you develop symptoms - unless I missed another update
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Dustoff00
AG
That is what I inferred, as well as what I have seen him recommending based on previous posts...
Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces
bonfarr
AG
I suffer from chronic bronchitis and usually get a mild bout at this time every year that lasts for a week or two. About a week and a half ago I started getting the telltale signs of bronchitis with the post nasal drip and the nagging cough with the tickle in the bottom of.my throat. For the last week I have develop what feels like slight pressure in my right ear and started experiencing vertigo when sitting up or when rolling over in bed. The vertigo and ear pressure have never been associated with my bronchitis, I have been calling my doctor to see if I need to go in but they don't answer the phone.

Is this likely no big deal and will just go away like usual or should I definitely see a physician?
Ag In Ok
AG

Who here as used one of the 3D printed n95s? Does it work as expected, does it need additional manufacturing to complete, lifecycle?
FYI - i do work at a hospital, this isn't to satisfy a curiosity.
MrJonMan
AG
I was referencing his response to me
BiochemAg97
AG
jkc001 said:

My doctor recommended that I have the two vaccinations for preventing most pneumonias. I took his advice and got the shots although they were a few years apart. Is there any evidence to suggest that they may help to mitigate the effects of CV?
Probably not. The vaccine is directed to a completely different group of microorganism. While it could reduce risk of a secondary infection, the pneumonia symptom of COVID19 appear to be caused directly by the virus rather than a secondary infection.
FrioAg 00
AG
Question for the docs,

For someone in the early stages of symptoms (day 3) what should someone be doing while symptoms are mild but worsening?

I've got increasing chest congestion and pressure, and slight aches. I won't be tested until tomorrow by my provider (24 hour turnaround). Should I be pounding vitamins? Trying to sleep or at least lay down? Take a long walk?

I want to go into whatever this is as best I can.
Reveille
AG
jkc001 said:

My doctor recommended that I have the two vaccinations for preventing most pneumonias. I took his advice and got the shots although they were a few years apart. Is there any evidence to suggest that they may help to mitigate the effects of CV?
No but it was smart of you to do that. It will protect from other forms of pneumonia and the last place you want to be right now is admitted to a hospital unless you absolutely have to. They are doing everything they can to protect you there but the risk will still be high.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
MAROON said:

He said to stop the D if you develop symptoms - unless I missed another update
That is correct. If you are vitamin D deficient than by all means stay on it. But if you get ill there is a small chance it could increase the cytokines and cause you to potentially get worse. If you don't know your vitamin D status have it checked at your primary doctor's office.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
bonfarr said:

I suffer from chronic bronchitis and usually get a mild bout at this time every year that lasts for a week or two. About a week and a half ago I started getting the telltale signs of bronchitis with the post nasal drip and the nagging cough with the tickle in the bottom of.my throat. For the last week I have develop what feels like slight pressure in my right ear and started experiencing vertigo when sitting up or when rolling over in bed. The vertigo and ear pressure have never been associated with my bronchitis, I have been calling my doctor to see if I need to go in but they don't answer the phone.

Is this likely no big deal and will just go away like usual or should I definitely see a physician?
Sounds more like your normal illness. Keep trying them they should get back to soon. We are all really overloaded with work right now. Working way more hours than normal and fielding a high volume of calls while trying to learn as much as we can about this virus.
FrioAg 00
AG
Just catching up on this thread and all the great info.

I have been popping my multivitamin including D, so I'll stop that.

Anyone else have the highlights for someone who is likely already in this at the early stages??
Reveille
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Question for the docs,

For someone in the early stages of symptoms (day 3) what should someone be doing while symptoms are mild but worsening?

I've got increasing chest congestion and pressure, and slight aches. I won't be tested until tomorrow by my provider (24 hour turnaround). Should I be pounding vitamins? Trying to sleep or at least lay down? Take a long walk?

I want to go into whatever this is as best I can.
Remember nothing is proven at this point. But I think if you honestly think you have it, than increasing vitamins is what I would do. I would take 50mg Zinc, Get the Quercetin 1 g and instead of 1-2 per day take 2 twice per day. Take green tea a couple of times per day. Both of these are known zinc ionophores and you want to get as muc zinc intracellular as you can. Also increase Vit C to 2000mg per day as it is a good antioxidant. But i would only take that much until your test comes back. If negative decrease thost.
FrioAg 00
AG
THANK YOU!

How about light movement such as walking, good or bad for lungs at this point?

Should I be trying to cough this crap up 94 trying to remain still?
MrJonMan
AG
My job is essential and I'm still interacting with people daily (from a distance) and just out and about.

So, thanks again!

Just stopped to pick up some Vitamin C. Going to add that in with my multi vitamin.

I do not know my vitamin D levels, I started taking it last year when I had a broken bone, to help with calcium absorption. Just kept taking it since.
MAROON
AG
The thing that is frustrating about all this is the level of misinformation. My wife just got a text from her know it all friend that a physician assistant said to not take melatonin, vitamin D, vitamin C, for Zinc. I told my wife I'm trusting my Aggie doctor on Texags!!

Also get a text to not take Advil. But it appears there is no study at this time to support that. Sorry if you have already commented on this (maybe we need a sticky message on page 1). Any advice on Advil to relieve fever?
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
MrJonMan
AG
I've heard the Advil or basically all NSAIDs. Tylenol instead
Tom Cardy
AG
Yeah there is enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that avoiding NSAIDs is a good idea.
Reveille
AG
MrJonMan said:

My job is essential and I'm still interacting with people daily (from a distance) and just out and about.

So, thanks again!

Just stopped to pick up some Vitamin C. Going to add that in with my multi vitamin.

I do not know my vitamin D levels, I started taking it last year when I had a broken bone, to help with calcium absorption. Just kept taking it since.

I would stop it only if you get sick,. If you start coughing I would consider holding it.
Reveille
AG
MAROON said:

The thing that is frustrating about all this is the level of misinformation. My wife just got a text from her know it all friend that a physician assistant said to not take melatonin, vitamin D, vitamin C, for Zinc. I told my wife I'm trusting my Aggie doctor on Texags!!

Also get a text to not take Advil. But it appears there is no study at this time to support that. Sorry if you have already commented on this (maybe we need a sticky message on page 1). Any advice on Advil to relieve fever?

They will always be differing opinions since we have no randomized peer reviewed clinical trials yet. But unfortunately there is not time to wait right now. There is some literature to support use of all of those. However, vitamin D has some potential risks associated with it so I agree with her on holding that if you are ill.
FrecklesDad
AG
I read that NSAID's, like Advil are processed by the kidneys, while Tylenol is processed by the liver. Check with the doctor's. I understand that this bug can cause kidney problems sometimes.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
My multi has 100% DV D-3. Is this something I should stop taking if sick? TIA
aggieduke
AG
Friend of mine just said there is a facebook movement about over 925 patients cured in 24hrs in Italy.

Anything to this? Sorry....I dont really facebook and dont know how to post links but it was pretty easy to find with a simple search.

plain_o_llama
In the fog of war I try to be particularly cautious with media telling me things I want to hear.

I also would be suspicious of entities trying to move markets for fun and profit.
Reveille
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

THANK YOU!

How about light movement such as walking, good or bad for lungs at this point?

Should I be trying to cough this crap up 94 trying to remain still?
Walking is good, but you MUST stay completely away from ANY other people. If you have trouble walking around your house that is a sign you must go to the hospital.
Reveille
AG
Lester Freamon said:

My multi has 100% DV D-3. Is this something I should stop taking if sick? TIA
Doubt that would be an issue as it is just the regular daily allowance but can't say for sure.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Fair enough, thanks.
3rd Generation Ag
AG

There is a youtube video about the cures in Italy with no documentation. It shows a supposedly cured patient being appauded as they are wheeled out of at least one area of the hospital. I am highly suspicious. People are using this to justify saying to heck with SIP, I am going back to life as normal.
96AustinAg
AG
aggieduke said:

Friend of mine just said there is a facebook movement about over 925 patients cured in 24hrs in Italy.

Anything to this? Sorry....I dont really facebook and dont know how to post links but it was pretty easy to find with a simple search.

Cured because they died... 919 died within 24 hours. Gallows humor.
KR Training staff instructor - www.krtraining.com
BiochemAg97
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

There is a youtube video about the cures in Italy with no documentation. It shows a supposedly cured patient being appauded as they are wheeled out of at least one area of the hospital. I am highly suspicious. People are using this to justify saying to heck with SIP, I am going back to life as normal.

There are likely plenty of people who have recovered (cured?). There is a 90yo in Washington from the retirement home that recovered and went home.
PatriotAg98
AG
Reveille-
Thanks for all the info, crazy times. When a large scale antibody test is available, will you please let us know? Maybe even start a new thread with the info. In early Feb, after coming back from a week in Vegas, I had the slight fever, dry cough, some chest tightness, malaise ,etc for about 2 wks. Neg flu and strep test from PCP. I just want to get tested to see if I did have, and then potentially donate for convalescent plasma.
RCR06
AG
aggieduke said:

Not trying to be critical, but anything someone tells me that starts out as I saw on facebook I immediately am skeptical. They also had 900 and something people die in Italy yesterday. Also, we know that 98% or better will survive this so there will be lots more people survive this than die from it.

I will give a recent example of facebook misinformation. For those of you that follow football recruiting. My Dad and I go eat lunch one day and he said you didn't mention anything about A&M's new signee. This is the first week of classes this semester. I said we don't have any new signee's this week. He said I saw Zach Evans enrolled at A&M this week. Now I had been following this situation really closely on texags, so I confidently said no he didn't, but got my phone out and check texags. Nothing new about Zach Evans. The next words out of my Dad's mouth were, oh I saw it on facebook. I did a bid eye roll. He doesn't get on facebook that much, but now we have an agreement that if he tells me about something he saw on facebook he has to start the sentence "I saw on facebook..........".
Madagascar
AG
Doctor, would you have a favorite cough medicine to take with this illness? Would benzonatate be ok?
Reveille
AG
Madagascar said:

Doctor, would you have a favorite cough medicine to take with this illness? Would benzonatate be ok?

Yes that would be fine! Over the counter Delsym is also ok
Reveille
AG
Today's update!

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2652913241658283/?sfnsn=mo
First Page Last Page
Page 36 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.