Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,276,350 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yell_on_6th st said:

Asking the docs, friend of a friend in Dallas, already went to urgent care and sent home, tested positive, mid 30's and no other health conditions:

"She's on day 12 at home still. She says it's rough."

"Yeah she's got brown stuff coming up and it takes 10 minutes to recover her breath after walking to the kitchen."

Should she be in hospital?

This is the kind of stuff that worries me. My pride would normally say I'm not that bad since I can still walk to the kitchen. But damn if this virus doesn't scare me that I'll probably wait too late (if I get sick) and end up on a ventilator/ dead.
yell_on_6th st
AG
Badace52 said:

yell_on_6th st said:

Asking the docs, friend of a friend in Dallas, already went to urgent care and sent home, tested positive, mid 30's and no other health conditions:

"Yeah she's got brown stuff coming up and it takes 10 minutes to recover her breath after walking to the kitchen."

That is hard to say definitively without assessing her in person. If she is really that short of breath with minimal exertion, she is someone who should probably be evaluated in an ER.

She is pretty far into the course of the disease and most people who end up hospitalized are already admitted by day 12, but by no means does that mean she doesn't need to go get checked out.

Thank you, I relayed your answer to my friend to pass along. Said I got it from an Aggie doc on Texags! Gig 'em!
mts6175
AG
So I just happened to click on this video on Youtube today. This is an ER doctor in NY talking about what's going on. At about 0:40 seconds in, she says that if they could get their hands on CPAP machines it would help relieve some of the need for ventilators. I thought this wasn't the case, that a CPAP won't work in replacement for a ventilator? I would think that if they do work, there is probably a ton of them sitting on the shelves all over the country that they could get their hands on....

BiochemAg97
AG
mts6175 said:

So I just happened to click on this video on Youtube today. This is an ER doctor in NY talking about what's going on. At about 0:40 seconds in, she says that if they could get their hands on CPAP machines it would help relieve some of the need for ventilators. I thought this wasn't the case, that a CPAP won't work in replacement for a ventilator? I would think that if they do work, there is probably a ton of them sitting on the shelves all over the country that they could get their hands on....

Problem with CPAP is it spreads droplets. With the constant positive pressure, there is a constant flow of air out of the system near the nose/mouth.
tmaggies
AG
I pray she is exaggerating but sadly it has become hard for me to believe anything with the news media and politics today.
Austin Ag
AG
Is it not possible to send patients who are still mobile to other hospitals in the area before they start needing intensive care?
Aggie09Derek
AG
https://vimeo.com/399733860

Pulmonary doc in NYC answers a lot of questions (a few days old). Lots of good info.

He's a Rice grad.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

https://vimeo.com/399733860

Pulmonary doc in NYC answers a lot of questions (a few days old). Lots of good info.

He's a Rice grad.
Thanks for sharing.
hillcountryag86
AG
tmaggies said:

I pray she is exaggerating but sadly it has become hard for me to believe anything with the news media and politics today.

That's why I really like Dr. Coates.
Troglodyte
AG
88planoAg said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

How much melatonin?
I think he said regular dose. We just bought on Amazon and was delivered within 12 hours! This is one you probably can't megadose anyway, affects sleep. So 2-5mg. But I'm not even a Texags doc. Just going off of the label of what we bought.
I'd like to know how much too. I heard if you have the virus, you should take 50-100mg per day in 4 doses. I don't know how much for preventative.
Proc92
Troglodyte said:

88planoAg said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

How much melatonin?
I think he said regular dose. We just bought on Amazon and was delivered within 12 hours! This is one you probably can't megadose anyway, affects sleep. So 2-5mg. But I'm not even a Texags doc. Just going off of the label of what we bought.
I'd like to know how much too. I heard if you have the virus, you should take 50-100mg per day in 4 doses. I don't know how much for preventative.
As a sleep aid, 2-5mg once a day, right before sleep, is the typical dose. 100mg seems extremely high. 5mg knocks me out in 30 minutes.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
He responded to me on his FB page that he currently takes a 10mg dose.
Ciboag96
I had nightmare issues with large doses of melatonin. Like waking up in deathly peril, sweats and shakes, sobbing and deep fear. Never touched the stuff again.

Decided to go for it again. Read up and it said that you can work up to the 10mg dose slowly by eating 1-2mg for a few days and work up from there. We'll see. Last time wasn't fun.
PPlayboy87
AG
If CPAP's are useful, I have a couple of old ones I can donate. Just need to know where to send them.
Reveille
AG
Proc92 said:

Troglodyte said:

88planoAg said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

How much melatonin?
As a sleep aid, 2-5mg once a day, right before sleep, is the typical dose. 100mg seems extremely high. 5mg knocks me out in 30 minutes.
100mg is way too much.! I take 10mg per night for myself. It is usually recommended to take between 2-5mg per day.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
How do CPaps help? Just curious, because I use one nightly
Reveille
AG
Here is must recent update!

https://www.facebook.com/1074406732/posts/10218350645292203/?sfnsn=mo

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Double Twin Marine
AG
Reveille said:

First day in the state to have a decrease number of positive tests!!! Not counting my chickens but I'll gladly take some positive news here. Keep social distancing.
LawHall88
AG
Reveille said:

Proc92 said:

Troglodyte said:

88planoAg said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

How much melatonin?
100mg is way too much.! I take 10mg per night for myself. It is usually recommended to take between 2-5mg per day.
Here is an article quoting a doctor recommending 50-100 mg/day. I'm wondering if the author misunderstood the dosage.
Quote:

But if you are diagnosed with COVID-19, Dr. Neel says a secret weapon in your response.should be melatonin and maintaining communication with a medical professional.

"Most people know it as a sleep aid but it's got many anti-oxidant and anti-toxin properties that cancel a lot of the effects of the virus."

The amount you should take depends on the severity of your illness.

He recommends 50 to 100 milligrams, divided into 4 doses daily and that you stay in contact with the medical professional who provided the initial diagnosis.

Dr. Neel says melatonin has been used to combat other viral diseases including SARS and West Nile Virus.

He says melatonin isn't going to prevent you from getting COVID-19 but will certainly help improve your health if you are diagnosed.
https://www.ktsa.com/area-doctor-offers-simple-suggestion-to-help-in-covid-19-recovery/
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Doc, if you were going to put together a recommended prophylactic kit from OTC stuff what would you recommend?

- Melatonin
- Zinc
- Vitamin C?
- Vitamin D?

Thanks in advance
Reveille
AG
LawHall88 said:

Reveille said:

Proc92 said:

Troglodyte said:

88planoAg said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

How much melatonin?
Here is an article quoting a doctor recommending 50-100 mg/day. I'm wondering if the author misunderstood the dosage.
Quote:

But if you are diagnosed with COVID-19, Dr. Neel says a secret weapon in your response.should be melatonin and maintaining communication with a medical professional.

"Most people know it as a sleep aid but it's got many anti-oxidant and anti-toxin properties that cancel a lot of the effects of the virus."

The amount you should take depends on the severity of your illness.

He recommends 50 to 100 milligrams, divided into 4 doses daily and that you stay in contact with the medical professional who provided the initial diagnosis.

Dr. Neel says melatonin has been used to combat other viral diseases including SARS and West Nile Virus.

He says melatonin isn't going to prevent you from getting COVID-19 but will certainly help improve your health if you are diagnosed.
https://www.ktsa.com/area-doctor-offers-simple-suggestion-to-help-in-covid-19-recovery/
my
I will have to research to make sure high doses do not have any ill effects. That says melatonin is generally believed to be a relative benign drug!
Player To Be Named Later
AG
What I'm using, based in large part from his updates, are Vit C, A, Zinc, Quercitin, Selenium, and Melatonin. Also trying to drink a glass of green tea a day.
smjack1
Thanks for your info on nutritional supplements! I'm 69, with chronic bronchitis, high blood pressure, and v tach. I'm not leaving the house, and have ordered the supplements, cause I'm not thrilled about my chances if I get it.
BiochemAg97
AG
AW Aggie said:

Reveille said:

First day in the state to have a decrease number of positive tests!!! Not counting my chickens but I'll gladly take some positive news here. Keep social distancing.
If the trend continues and the voluntary social distancing was working (1-2 week lag between measures and results showing up in positive tests), will we go back to voluntary distancing or keep on lockdown.
Double Twin Marine
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

AW Aggie said:

Reveille said:

If the trend continues and the voluntary social distancing was working (1-2 week lag between measures and results showing up in positive tests), will we go back to voluntary distancing or keep on lockdown.

That seems to be the million dollar question. I'm not in the medical field and definitely not a politician so can't really say what the best plan of action is. I do think it would be wise to have the self voluntary distancing in place for 4 weeks so extend this one by another 2 weeks to see what happens and then make a more educated opinion on the next steps.
aggieduke
AG
First of all...Thank you for all that you are doing!

I know this was touched on awhile back and I am sorry if I missed it.

I keep seeing high blood pressure being mentioned more and more. What if it is being controlled by medicine? Does this bring down the risk factor?

Thanks and Gig-Em
Reveille
AG
AgLA06 said:

yell_on_6th st said:

This is the kind of stuff that worries me. My pride would normally say I'm not that bad since I can still walk to the kitchen. But damn if this virus doesn't scare me that I'll probably wait too late (if I get sick) and end up on a ventilator/ dead.

As a rule of thumb if you get short if breath walking to go to bathroom than you should go to the hospital! That is a possible indicator of severe disease!
Reveille
AG
aggieduke said:

First of all...Thank you for all that you are doing!

I know this was touched on awhile back and I am sorry if I missed it.

I keep seeing high blood pressure being mentioned more and more. What if it is being controlled by medicine? Does this bring down the risk factor?

Thanks and Gig-Em

Yes we believe having controlled with blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol or asthma is lower risk than uncontroled.
Reveille
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

What I'm using, based in large part from his updates, are Vit C, A, Zinc, Quercitin, Selenium, and Melatonin. Also trying to drink a glass of green tea a day.

That all looks pretty sound. Just don't take too much vitamin A as high doses can cause issues. One per day should be fine!
Whoop Delecto
AG
MrJonMan
AG
Apologies if this was discussed, as I tried to find it but didn't.

If I'm already taking a daily vitamin and vitamin D supplement, so I stop the D and add zinc and vitamin C, even though those are already in the daily vitamin?
Lone Star Pest Control Service, Inc. Call for special Pricing!
Reveille
AG
MrJonMan said:

Apologies if this was discussed, as I tried to find it but didn't.

If I'm already taking a daily vitamin and vitamin D supplement, so I stop the D and add zinc and vitamin C, even though those are already in the daily vitamin?
Zinc is fine if it is in the multivitamin. Most people have plenty of Zinc in there diet. I would still take one vitamin C supplement in addition to the multivitamin.
MrJonMan
AG
Thanks for the quick response. I'll pick up some Vitamin C today. Any recommendation on size? I know it goes all the way up to 1000mg
Lone Star Pest Control Service, Inc. Call for special Pricing!
jkc001
My doctor recommended that I have the two vaccinations for preventing most pneumonias. I took his advice and got the shots although they were a few years apart. Is there any evidence to suggest that they may help to mitigate the effects of CV?
MAROON
AG
I've been trying to drink an emergen-C every day or so. Along with D and my multi vitamin
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
First Page Last Page
Page 35 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.