Accordion type Hurricane Shutters - worth the investment

3,848 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bmks270
fullback44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I just want to let people hear my story about my accordion hurricane shutters. If you have the aluminum style panel shutters and didn't get a chance to put them up, please read this.

3 years ago I purchased a 3 year old beach house in Port A. After purchasing it I called the storm shutter company that installed them to ask them to go over how to put them up. The shutter guy in Port A told me that it would be almost impossible for me and 3-4 friends to put up (install) all the panel shutters if a hurricane came. He educated me on the time and personnel needed to get them installed if a storm came. Anyway, he convinced me that I needed to remove the old panel shutters and install new Accordion type hurricane shutters. The accordion shutters would be a $12-$15,000 investment, but would cut my hurricane prep time down to less than 1 hr for the entire house. It took several weeks of kicking this around before I went on ahead and bit the bullet to make the purchase of the accordion type hurricane shutters.

Anyway, here it is 3 years later and all I can say is that those shutters saved my house and my ass. Maybe the best investment I've made in a long long time. I had no issues with water in the house from wind and rain (and it did not flood).

There are many new houses down in that area that had panel shutters and didn't get them put up for Harvey. Most of those newer houses (without storm windows) had water come inside the house and are going to need insurance claims. My buddy (who is working the storm as an insurance adjuster in the Port A area) said most of the newer homes that did not put up there storm panels/shutters will needs claims filed for water damage. He said the average claim for these house's is about $80K so far (just crazy, seems high but I guess that's what it cost when you consider damages to items in the house and fixing the house)

Anyway, well worth the money, if you want more information on these shutters, I can get you the information on the company that installed them. There are several other types of shutters that are just as good or better than the ones I installed BTW (all about the cost).

Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Mom's house had the corrugated plexiglass. Posts are already installed and only takes about 30 minutes to put them up and attach the wing nuts. Convinced it saved her house when either side of her had 50% to 75% structure loss. She is on the water on Copano. Best investment they made. Had an accordion shutter on the sliding glass door.
bmks270
AG
I have galvanized steel shutters. Had to use them two years in a row now. Such a pain in the ass. Being a young male I can do it myself, but it's such a pain I'm considering accordion shutters myself. I'd recommend the accordion shutters to anyone who can afford it. It's worth it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.