Homes that have flooded multiple times

5,459 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 74OA
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
First, if your home falls in this category, I am sorry for what you are going through, and don't mean to offend or be insensitive.

Now that we are in cleanup and rebuild mode, I've been thinking about neighborhoods that are flood prone; areas that flooded with the tax day and Memorial Day storms, and of course Harvey. What should be done in/with these areas? I've heard of people in Meyerland who are "done" and will just walk away from their homes this time. I know families in Ft. Bend County who have now flooded at least twice in 3 years.

From here on, what changes are needed in flood insurance and disaster response? This is our best opportunity to look at infrastructure, housing, disaster prevention/response, etc., and plan for the future. Instead of Federal money going to rebuilding, should we basically buy out some of these worse areas, and incorporate them into the reservoirs, bayous, etc?
CharlieChaplin
AG
Have seen a few places that FEMA might try to buy out some of these homes. Will be interesting to see what ends up happening. Saw a Chronicle article that mentioned this as well.

http://www.chron.com/business/article/FEMA-looks-to-buyout-homes-flooded-by-Hurricane-12180372.php
74OA
AG
Solutions to mitigate the damage from flooding have been around for decades, but we lack the political will to implement them. Most importantly, until Washington stops offering cheap subsidized flood insurance which encourages people to build in flood zones, we can expect more of the same: Same old story.

"We also concluded that many flood insurance policies were heavily subsidized and underestimated risk, leading to premiums that were far too low to make homeowners realize just how flood-prone their locations were.
Still, we also found that paying to relocate a relatively small number of people could significantly reduce the risk. About 2 percent of the flood insurance policies with repetitive losses were generating 40 percent of the claim payouts many of them making expensive claims frequently. But these properties were seldom subject to risk mitigation (such as elevation or relocation), even after a flood caused damage worth more than 50 percent of their value, which is considered "substantially damaged" and is supposed to require mitigation. We also found that about 20 percent of these properties were located outside the designated "100 year" floodplains, areas where the chance of a flood in any given year is predicted to be 1 percent. The maps, in other words, were badly out of date, even then."

AlaskanAg99
AG
FEMA and HCFC has programs to buy out homes that flood repeatedly if you meet the criteria.

USGS is going through a multi years plan in data collection. Part of that data will be used by FEMA to redraw flood plains based on better models and historic flooding information.

Our region will be worked in the next few years and I expect the flood plain maps to change.
aTm '99
plowboy1065
S
Will be interesting when the new flood maps are approved. There were places that flooded before but didn't during Harvey and those that never have but did this time
BSD
AG
plowboy1065 said:

Will be interesting when the new flood maps are approved. There were places that flooded before but didn't during Harvey and those that never have but did this time

This is what got me. I remember seeing several homes along Westview being flooded in past storms. Those homeowners got to the point wher they were petitioning city hall for relief from the flooding. But driving around after Harvey, those homes seemed ok. I gave up trying to figure it all out.
AgLiving06
I was looking at HAR earlier and noticed that several homes are now for sell at what effectively must be lot value.

Other homeowners are now looking at raising their foundations.

My guess is you will see both of these be more widespread.

nu awlins ag
AG
Canyon Gate should just be reclaimed by the reservoir. That area was hit really, really hard. As well, there needs to be a berm built along the bayou of around 4-6 feet high and it should be dredged with that material used to make the berm. It would at least add protection once the water gets to the top of the bayou, without it, it just spills over. Cinco across from Creech was hit really hard as well. We demoed 2 homes on Saturday in that area.
NoahAg
According to one homeowner in Canyon Gate, almost no one there has flood insurance. He said a bunch of homeowners are coordinating to have the gov't buy them out. That's according to one person, so who knows.
nu awlins ag
AG
I've heard the same thing. Correct, most did not have flood insurance as did most in the other hard hit areas. I just missed getting flooded and I don't have flood insurance and neither do my neighbors.
trueaggie2782
AG
They also need to look at elevating highway 6 from I10 to possibly 529. There should be no reason that a major thoroughfare such as that should be completely inaccessible for that long.
nu awlins ag
AG
trueaggie2782 said:

They also need to look at elevating highway 6 from I10 to possibly 529. There should be no reason that a major thoroughfare such as that should be completely inaccessible for that long.
That would be a long project to do that especially from I-10 past Westheimer. So much traffic moving through there, but something does need to be done.
hatchback
AG
NoahAg said:

According to one homeowner in Canyon Gate, almost no one there has flood insurance. He said a bunch of homeowners are coordinating to have the gov't buy them out. That's according to one person, so who knows.

Same thing with all areas of Grand Lakes - nobody over there had flood insurance. I wonder if similar conversations are happening among Grand Lakes neighbors...
Crazy Ag 97
AG
I have been preaching this my friends and family for years and will say it here...if you live in Harris County or any of the surrounding counties, GET FLOOD INSURANCE! It doesn't matter if you are in a flood plain or not. We live in a flat, coastal region subject to tropical disasters, it's only matter of time before you will flood. It is literally $350/year to protect your family, if you can afford a $250,000+ house, you can easily afford the insurance.

I have already heard the comment "well, I didn't flood in Harvey, so I guess I don't need flood insurance"; do I have to say it again?...GET FLOOD INSURANCE! Will we ever see a storm with this much intensity over this much area again? Highly unlikely, but will we see another storm with this much intensity somewhere in the Houston area again? Highly probable. All it takes is for that storm to be over your house, and I promise you that your streets can't drain off the storm fast enough.

I don't mean to sound like an insensitive a$$, but as a water resources engineer my entire career, this is one of my big soapboxes. I'll be the first to admit, that the terminology of "100-yr flood" or "500-yr flood" is misleading and gives people a false sense of security. The terminoligy definitely needs to be changed, but it doesn't change the fact that Houston will flood, every year, so GET FLOOD INSURANCE! To put my money where my mouth is, yes, I have flood insurance even though I live in one of the highest areas in Houston and didn't have even a single inch of ponding in our street and most likely never will.

Rant Over. Sorry if I offended
nu awlins ag
AG
hatchback said:

NoahAg said:

Same thing with all areas of Grand Lakes - nobody over there had flood insurance. I wonder if similar conversations are happening among Grand Lakes neighbors...
You would have to be back by the barn park. That area was the hardest hit. I live GL and didn't flood as did most of my street. The only houses that did, were down facing the bayou. I live in phase 3.
The Kraken
AG
nu awlins ag said:

hatchback said:

NoahAg said:

You would have to be back by the barn park. That area was the hardest hit. I live GL and didn't flood as did most of my street. The only houses that did, were down facing the bayou. I live in phase 3.
I used to own a patio home in Grand Lakes in the section just south of the swim team pool. I work nearby so I checked it out last week...looks like no water in homes there but all the sections to the east going towards Mason got hit hard.
74OA
AG
NoahAg said:

I feel for those folks, but when you say they're asking for a government buyout, you really mean they want you and me to pay for their homes. Sorry, but since they opted not to buy subsidized flood insurance at $350 a year, I think they should bear the cost of that choice themselves. Disaster loans to build elsewhere, sure--buyout, no.
plowboy1065
S
74OA said:

NoahAg said:

I feel for those folks, but when you say they're asking for a government buyout, you really mean they want you and me to pay for their homes. Sorry, but since they opted not to buy subsidized flood insurance at $350 a year, I think they should bear the cost of that choice themselves. Disaster loans to build elsewhere, sure--buyout, no.
Topaz
74OA said:

The insurance is subsidized so that means you and me would be paying either way, no?
nu awlins ag
AG
New World Ag said:

nu awlins ag said:

hatchback said:

NoahAg said:

I used to own a patio home in Grand Lakes in the section just south of the swim team pool. I work nearby so I checked it out last week...looks like no water in homes there but all the sections to the east going towards Mason got hit hard.
Correct. They didn't get water. Most of the water was just east of the tennis courts. Those areas received anywhere between 4" - 6" inches to 2+ feet of water. Most of our street did not flood, but those that did received the above amount in inches. Further down and east, a lot more.
74OA
AG
Topaz said:

74OA said:

The insurance is subsidized so that means you and me would be paying either way, no?
Yep, and the subsidies need to end, but at least policy-holders contribute something over the years that they pay for insurance.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.