Houston - BBQ pit, need cook

7,690 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by agnatgas
Dr. Venkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just moved from Houston to North Austin last month, but still have property there. I plan to make a trip Thursday to assess damage. I have a BBQ pit on a trailer and would like to bring it to a flooded neighborhood to lift spirits, but will not have time to cook. It is only a day trip and I plan to visit the property, old friends and neighbors.

If someone is willing to man the pit, I'll bring it. I can stop by Costco on my way out of town to get whatever meat you'd like to cook (brisket, pork loin, etc. or something as simple as hamburgers) and any sides.

I'd eventually like it back in a couple weeks, but you're free to move it around Houston. I would just ask that I always have the contact information of who has it.

email charles0608ag at gmail if interested.

aggiebq03+
Which part of town are you coming to?
NASAg03
I can man a smoker with the best of them. I can bring a bunch of beer as well. Location?
Dr. Venkman
AG
Property is north of downtown at N. Main & 45. I'll also visit my old neighborhood at Stella Link & 610, some friends at Westpark & 8, Meyerland, Bellaire, possibly Spring. All subject to road accessibility of course. I'd like to drop the pit off first wherever you want it so I'm not towing it all over the place.

I'm not familiar with who has flooded and who has not. It would be your choice as to where you want to serve.
Dr. Venkman
AG
If there is any interest in this, I need to know this afternoon. I'm going shopping and packing up this evening.
Bottlerocket
Bottlerocket
AG
Reach out to this group

https://www.triplegrelief.org
Storm tailgate! Bring a TV setup.
OnlyForNow
AG
I'll pass this along to one of their founders.
agnatgas
AG
If you can get it to the southwest corner of Kirkwood and Memorial, I'll man it. There is a large staging area for boats evacuating people in neighborhoods south of there.

User name at yahoo
Dr. Venkman
AG
agnatgas did a great job with this yesterday. I dropped off the pit and supplies and he went to work. After people saw him cooking, more brought food. Estimates 650 firefighters, police and other first responders fed. Favorite quote he told me:
"who are you guys with?"
"nobody...well, texags."
sts7049
AG
good bull right there
92Ag95
AG
Very Good Bull!
BulldAg99
AG
Great work!
EKG1996
twodognight
SomeRandomAg#2580
TxAgClif00
AG
That's awesome. Thanks for updating.
shovel pass
AG
Feeding 650+ is legit. Great job!
Emotional Support Cobra
Diggity
AG
that's pretty awesome. Good work guys!
agnatgas
AG
We cooked at Memorial City Mall, which is a staging area for first responders. MCM Security was pretty cool and gave us one of the drive through bank lanes right on the corner of Katy Freeway and Gessner. They provided trash bins and coned off the area to keep traffic away.

I'm working, but another guy was planning to duplicate our efforts today. Go out and help!

The first responders were quite appreciative. One told me you would not believe how bad MREs are. Most had been working for hours without rest and were dead tired. There was HPD, HFD, Texas State Police, a group of 165 from Oklahoma, numerous city and county workers, etc. The Oklahoma group is sleeping in tents on the mall parking lots and some are sleeping in the mall itself.

My favorite story: Some fellow came up and asked what do you need? I said fresh, not frozen, hamburger meat. He came back about an hour later and said HEB was out, but he bought 24 strip steaks. It was a big hit with the first responders.

Lots of people brought food - some prepared and some that required cooking. The Katy Elk's Lodge brought 200 meals in boxes. Some restaurant dropped off three huge trays of jambalaya. Some French restaurant delivered a tray of chicken, rice and salad. Goode Company brought about 150 sack lunches
Some lady came with a plate of cupcakes. Lots of people dropped off enough to feed a dozen or more people. One guy came with smoked five briskets. A couple of others came with several pounds of deer sausage. Kolache Factory delivered about a dozen boxes of baked goods.

Lots and lots of people came with water and Gatorade. I'm sure I'm forgetting several others. It was quite chaotic at times.

All this started with Dr. Veckman and grew and grew with the generosity and work of countless others.

Thanks to Mike, Cheryl (mother of the Corps Leader last year), my b-i-l Mark and nieces Carolyn and Katie and especially to my wife for all their efforts.

agnatgas
AG
The Branch dropped off about 100 deli sandwiches also.
NateDog
AG
Awesome job!

Couple questions - can you get to the site from BCS with a car or small SUV? Any particular needs for this afternoon/evening (Friday) or tomorrow (Saturday)?
agnatgas
AG
Getting here should be no problem. I just drove by the Mall and there were some church ladies taking food donations from restaurants and the general public. Did not see any cooking going on.
NitroAGGIE
AG
Hi! I'd like to help out and can cook. Have never run an offset smoker but I can grill and prep. What is the plan for tomorrow? Feel free to email me at nitroaggie@gmail.com
Hi, Im Brett
Javelina
AG
I'm also available tomorrow and Monday. I can run an offset, but I'm not so proud that I can't prep, serve, or do anything else that needs to be done. I don't think it matters but I also have a food handlers permit.
agnatgas
AG

The group made the Houstonia magazine:

See slide number 10
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.