Houston - Volunteer Opportunities

5,137 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by benchmark
CoachRTM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those of us living in Houston and with no issues with our home/ family, is there anything to volunteer for?

Something like serving or cooking food for those displaced... and doesn't get in the way of the professionals trying to rescue people.
rhoswen
AG
My school is being used as a shelter but not a red cross one. I'm likely headed there tomorrow to help out.
CoachRTM
AG
I would also be willing to jump on a boat to help rescue, but don't know if I would just take up a seat that could be taken by someone who needs it.
Salt of the water
AG
See if you can find a "fringe" area that isn't fully flooded but on the way up.

I took my kayak today and worked with a boat crew. If you're near an area thats about to be flooded or has rising levels the boat crews could use help with door knocking. Convincing people to leave their home that's about to be flooded is not easy and quite sad. We funneled people back to a constable at a rally point and he helped get them to shelters.

If it's widespread area of multiple feet of water, and pulling people off of roofs, you'd probably be taking up a seat.
tmaggie50
AG
What area was this in?
Salt of the water
AG
Clay road north of Addicks reservoir. East of hwy 6. We knew the resevoir was filling up and people would be getting stuck back there.
katie1992
AG
People needed to provide fun/distracting activities to kids at shelters. Coloring projects, singing time, art work, game time,snack or soccer time,'mommy-moment -of-peace time to fill out claim forms. It can count toward your community service time if you need the hours.
NASAg03
Lots of volunteers and supplies needed at GRB.

http://www.grbhouston.com/george-r-brown-emergency-center/
rhoswen
AG
I think you could also just show up at a nearby shelter and just start cooking or whatever.
chico
AG
The YMCA on cavalcade was listed as an evacuation center, but nobody is there. It is empty. Also empty is the west and multi service center on Heights, which was also listed as an evacuation center
MouthBQ98
AG
They were probably on some prepared list but are considered inaccessible for resupply?
chico
AG
They are not inaccessible as I just went by both of them in a little car. Looks like most people are at the convention center but the mayor is to announce additional evacuation centers later today
keeperofthespirits
Some of the shelters are requesting that you go to the Red Cross website and sign up for 4 hour blocks.
Doodle14
AG
Is there any news about Lakewood church opening as a shelter? I don't know if we can make it to some of the other shelters but I know we could get to Lakewood and help out!
Martin Q. Blank
Doodle14 said:

Is there any news about Lakewood church opening as a shelter? I don't know if we can make it to some of the other shelters but I know we could get to Lakewood and help out!
Yes, they opened 30 minutes ago.
Doodle14
AG
Many thanks!
NASAg03
Huge need for medical professionals at GRB
angryocotillo
AG
Just showed up at the GRB. Volunteer line probably has 2-300 people in it. Any other suggestions on where to go to help out?
chico
AG
angryocotillo said:

Just showed up at the GRB. Volunteer line probably has 2-300 people in it. Any other suggestions on where to go to help out?

I volunteered today at St Mark Lutheran on Pecore and Holy Name Catholic south of Quitman. People dropping off donations and sorting through stuff. I'm sure will repeat again tomorrow
NoahAg
One ray of light in this storm is the number of people who've quickly jumped up to serve. We've checked with 3-4 places on the west side, trying to help out, and they're all set for now. We're just waiting to hear about bringing in a family. Maybe we'll check w/ Lakewood or the GRB tomorrow.
Satellite of Love
Watching channel 11, they are doing heavy damage control JO. Kept trying to down play the GRB workers as professionals and the Lakewood people as 100% salt of the earth, pure of heart, nonprofessionaly trained volunteers. They've mentioned it several times now.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
blackgoldag11
AG
We were at the foundry church on jones and they said they will need volunteers for a few days for sure
NASAg03
Need night shift workers at the shelters. Stay up late tonight, sleep in, nap, and serve tomorrow night
chico
AG
Holy name Catholic Church on Hogan Street in the near north side. Lots of physical labor opportunities sorting and moving donation items currently underway
notheranymore
Our son will be 15/16 this summer. Are there any volunteer opportunities related to recovery?
benchmark
AG
nm
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.