Whats the deal with shaking the hats on 2,2,&2?

10,496 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by SABUILDERAG
AgBubbleHead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just wondering if any one knows why players hold their hats out in front of them and shake them like they're begging on 2 strikes, 2 balls, and 2 out. I'd appreciate any insight on this.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
baseball superstition, made popular by the 86 Mets
STARBUCK5
AG
just one of those things.
Tom in College Station
Begging for the call to go your way. Many of the Raggies do this as well.
BradC34
AG
quote:
baseball superstition, made popular by the 86 Mets

Who beat the BoSoxs in the world series, so shut up and do it.
jc97
AG
Here's a more thorough description.

First, it was called "Twosies" when I was at A&M.

When we're up and it's 2-2-2, you turn your hat crown down, the way a beggar might. The idea here is "Give me something good [to hit]."

When we're pitching and it's 2-2-2, you turn your hat crown up (so it wouldn't hold money if you were a beggar). The idea here is "Don't give him anything good [to hit]."

Hope that helps.

daniel02
AG
Also, on a 2 Ball, 2 Strike count, you will often get a curve ball, down and away if you're a short batter, down and inside if you're tall.

The idea behind this call is that the curveball is hard to hit (so good chance for a strike out to end the inning), but if you "hang" the curveball and it doesn't curve into the strike zone, you're at 3-2, and still have a chance to strike out the batter.

So we're basically begging the pitcher to hang the curveball and let us rip it out of the park.

1stCav/BQ94
AG
jc97 gets it
whoop1012
Funny thing is that I go to t.u. for law school and was reading the Daily Texan today and came across an article that talks about this superstition.

http://media.www.dailytexanonline.com/media/storage/paper410/news/2007/03/06/Sports/Longhorns.Try.To.Hex.Opposing.Pitchers-2759503.shtml

agthatsagirl
Twosies!

If the batter hits a foul ball on the 222 count then it is deja twosies.
rscharnell
just dont ask about the girls cheers at softball games, those can get ridiculous!
landman1
Been around long before the 86 Mets.
birdman
I can remember the great Miami Hurricane teams doing that before the 1986 Mets. I always heard it called Deuces, not twosies.

Yall missed a part of it though. Always have to use the opposite hand. If the batter is righthanded, you roll deuces with your left hand. If you don't, you'll neutralize any mojo.

[This message has been edited by birdman (edited 3/7/2007 12:59p).]
Aggie_Eric98
AG
quote:
Been around long before the 86 Mets.

yes it has, but that was the first time I remember it being shown and explained on National TV
SABUILDERAG
quote:
Whom beated the BoSoxs in the worlds series, sew shut up and due it.

FIFY
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.