Nokona gloves

3,851 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 18 yr ago by Pahdz
Phoenix9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Considering getting a Nokona as my next glove. Anybody have any thoughts on them?

would be used primarily for infield in softball

My old glove is stiff, the nokona's are supple.....

CallmeLefty
They are very soft. Designed that way so they can be used immediately. Very good leather. Make sure you try it on first before you buy it. It is a different feel.

But, it is a good glove, just really soft. Make sure the size is good for what you want to use it for.

[This message has been edited by CallmeLefty (edited 2/23/2006 1:23p).]
agco08
I purchased an 11 inch Nokona when I was in 7th grade ('99), and I got it in February right before baseball season, played catch with it every day, and it still took me 6 months to break in.

Will a Nokona last forever?? Yes, most likely. As far as wanting an infield glove for softball though, you're probably going to want something that is at least 12 inches. My recommendation would be, if you're in that $130-$180 price range, to go with a nice Wilson A2000 or A3000. I've had a 12 1/2 A2000 since my Jr year of high school and it's still in great shape, and only took about a month to break in. I use it to play infield now in softball and I love it.
Padfoot
Dont forget that Nokona's come with a lifetime warranty. Even if a lace busts, they will fix it for free
xcaggie08
AG
Nokona makes great gloves. I would reccomend them. Nice and soft.
tam2002
AG
went through tons of other gloves then got a Nokona in 8th grade and used it all through high school and still use it...great glove and worth every penny
alvtimes
I have a Nacona glove that I've had for 20 someodd yrs. Now the glove I'm curious about is an Akedema. Anyone used one of those?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
ya id probably say a nakona is a bit small for softball, and a bit much price wise. honestly who needs a 130 dollar glove for that, i use a ridell glove i got for 50 bucks at academy and i really is great.

aTm08
they suck....they get TOO soft, u want a glove to be soft in the palm and stiff in the finger so when u close it it makes a strong cage around the ball.....nakonas get too floppy everywhere and also they are very heavy gloves....wilson is the best glove around to me....quality leather that last a LONG time and it is very light weight....ZETT also makes an amazing glove (they are from Japan) they are popular with pro players but not at all with they average person and since not many people have heard of them they assume they are not nice gloves....

i would go with a Wilson if u want a name brand...
aTm08
if your using it for SOFTBALL nakonas are ok....i have some friends who play college softball and they all use nakonas....but for baseball with experience ive had, which is a lot...i wouldn't get one...but its all personal preference
baseballfreak858
my nakona glove was the best...but i got a wilson's first base mit in highschool and it is cool too

Trying is the first step towards failure.
-Homer Simpson
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
he isnt playing college softball, im sure he plans on getting a baseball glove and use it in intramurals or city leage, big difference than college softball
Come Out Roll
AG
I'll second the notion that Nacona's are heavy....it's a good glove, don't get me wrong, just wouldn't be my first preference...and it's known for baseball, not softball....the akedema someone else was referring to is a good glove..I've got a buddy that is the Akedema rep here in Austin.....I liken the akedema glove to a Salinas....glovemaker out of Corpus....damn good gloves, and at the right price.....

Reporter - "Mike, what will you do now?"
Mike Tyson - "I'll just fade into bolivian."
ag711
mizuno makes some very nice gloves
20ags08
AG
def go with a mizuno if you are gonna play an infield pos. if you want to spend a little more money you can go with the rawlings gloves, especailly if your looking for an outfield glove. TPX also makes a great 1st base glove...
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Rawlings thats what i meant in my previous post oops. I definetly like mine and i wouldnt call it expensive, but i dont know compared to mizuno
Mango
AG
I like stiff gloves so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Nokona gloves turn into pancakes. I don't like them. However, if you like soft, floppy leather, Nokona is the glove for you.
alex05
agreed on the nokona gloves get too soft. personally i'm a huge fan of the rawlings glove. i have an 11 1/2 inch trap-eze - greatest glove i've ever had. i used to have a on outfield rawlings trap-eze too, i think it was 12 1/2 inch.
aTm08
cpsencik04..........i know college softball is different.... but if hes going to buy the Nakona to use for IM softball... im gonna have to say that if its good enough for college players...then its more than good enough for an IM player...thats what i was saying
aTm08
Mizuno makes a great glove...really to me i think any brand...wilson, mizuno, rawlings, zett, kelly (eh), Akedema are all better than a Nakona....TPX makes a good glove for a little less money than the rest...
Wahoo82
AG
My daughter is a fastpitch softball pitcher and I catch her at least 3-4 times a week. I have an old Nokona which was the best mitt I ever owned. Every catcher on her team used to borrow it for tournaments. After a few years of very heavy use, it finally broke down to the point of being too soft for my liking. My family gave me a new version of the same mitt last year as a gift and I do not like it. It is thin, leaving me with bruised hands, and it is not shaped like the old one, so a lot of balls bounce out of the glove. The old mitt was the best glove I ever had. I'll only stick with the new one because we spent so much on it.

My daughter (pitcher and middle infield) has been using Mizunos for the past two years and loves them.

Agree with 08 on TPS - good gloves, but you need a new one every three months. My daughter did not like the akademas. Salinas gloves are pretty good.

[This message has been edited by Wahoo82 (edited 2/24/2006 9:16a).]
AggieTox
I grew up around Nocona, Texas, where the Nokona gloves are made. From what I understand, they are the only American made baseball glove available today. They just finished shooting a segment for Made In America that John Ratzenberger hosts on I believe the Travel Channel.

ColoradoMooseHerd
Would never buy one, Way Too Soft. I prefer a glove that is stiff and keeps its shape
texpdx
Very nice American made glove! Great glove for the outfield. A little too soft to play 2nd or short with. Just my opinion.
AgRyan04
my OF glove in HS was a Rawlings Heart of the Hide. It didn't take too long to break in (maybe a week and a half use in practice) and it still has perfect shape 8 years later.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Check out "Texas A&M & Baseball In No Particular Order"
at tamu-and-baseball.com
ColoradoMooseHerd
In My Opinion Heart of the Hide gloves are the best.

IN high school I would get a new glove every year just because. In college we switched over to Louisville Gloves, just not the same

After College went back to Heart of the Hide
Phoenix9
my wife has an old nocona that is broke in and soft...my old rawlings is pretty stiff but has just gotten to be too small for softball

i have been trying to determine if her glove is too soft. It has a great pocket on it, but im not sure it would be great for infield
bullard21k
AG
Had 3 rawlings heart of the hide gloves. Best glove i ever owned. Fell in love with the trapez finger on the outfeild gloves and bought 2 of those. Had one similar to the one griffey marketed for them, excpet it wasnt a bizzare gray and blue color. You cant beat the leather and they keep their shape better then any glove ive ever seen. Not too soft, not overly stiff, and only take a few weeks to break in.
http://www.sport2000.net/Rawlings_heartofthehide05.html
Had the 2nd black one on that screen. Great glove...

[This message has been edited by bullard21k (edited 2/24/2006 3:31p).]
AgRyan04
my baby was the PRO701BF

http://www.sportco-int.com/baseballgloves.htm

Makes me want to go out and play some catch

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Check out "Texas A&M & Baseball In No Particular Order"
at tamu-and-baseball.com
aTm08
my first quality glove was a 11 inch Heart of Hide with the basket web i got in 3rd grade, ive had it ever since an it is still usable if u like a glove that small...i upgraded my fresh year of high school to a 11 3/4 Zett with the traditional T style web...loved that glove but lose it somehow my senior year, but i was catching anyways so it wasnt a huge loss...so now all i have left is my 11 inch rawlings which i use for softball hahaha it works fine for me and i know people wont want to borrow it cause its too small...but basically ive had it for 11 years now and its still perfect for use if i was playin in a competative baseball league...great gloves
rooster86
quote:
Dont forget that Nokona's come with a lifetime warranty. Even if a lace busts, they will fix it for free

OR

You could not be a nanny and fix it yourself. I've never sent my glove off to get relaced. Just go to Academy or Wal-Mart and get the $5 kit. It's actually kind of therapuetic. That's part of owning a glove, when it breaks, you fix it. Besides, the glove manufactures never have the tension right. I always end up tightening or loosening my gloves.

BTW, if you're just using this glove for softball, why are you spending that much money? Get a 12" rag for $40.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Mizuno was by far the best glove, baseball or softball, I ever owned. Accidentally left it at the ballpark once and never saw it again. Why or how I did that, I'll never know, but that's that.

Anyway, the current Mizuno crop is littered with consumer rather than serious player gloves, so pick through them carefully. I also don't like the velcro flap on the top hand side of the glove.

I also thought SSK made a decent glove, but it seems like I heard they were out of (that??) business.
Mango
AG
Heart of the Hide is where it is at!
AMF 2 AMC
AG
I've only had 3 gloves, all Rawlings (first two were stolen); never had any reason to consider another. Good fit and feel, stiff fingers and soft pocket.

If you're going to pay big money for a glove, wear a batter's glove on your glove hand so the salt from your skin won't rot out the inside of the glove. Regular cleaning won't hurt either.

I've never had a Mizuno glove, but I would consider one; they make quality sporting equipment. I own a set of their blades (sweetest feel in golf).
hornyhoosier
Nokona's areg great gloves. Made in Texas, like a real piece of leather should be.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.