Pine tar on Aluminum Bats?

14,888 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 19 yr ago by
One-Eyed Fat Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've recently noticed college players with what appears to be pine tar on aluminum bats. Is this a new development or is it that I've just never noticed before. Do they remove the grip and apply the pine tar to the metal or do they remove the grip and put tape on the handle and then apply the pine tar. Just curious. Thanks for the replies.
kramerica6948
you dont put it on the handle, you put it above the handle and grip the part w/ tar on it as needed, just like wooden bats....its not uncommon, just harder to notice on wood bats
kramerica6948
*just harder to notice on aluminum bats*
86 Tex Ag
AG
not uncommon?

that seems a little ridiculous, pine tar on an aluminum bat. maybe if the grip was missing and the handle was covered with tape -- then I can see pine tar.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Pine tar has always been used on aluminum bats
OceanStateAg
AG
always...I don't think so.
bubbfan
If you have been watching college baseball, you have not been very observant.
BMX Bandit
Was George Brett using an aluminum or wooden bat when he hit the pine tar home run?
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
What prompted my question is that my son was wanting to get some pine tar for his bat, because he said that is was slipping in his hands; I guess he has worn the grip out. I'd never noticed the pine tar on aluminum bats and I started paying more attention. I was watching the LSU-Tulane game last night and noticed several of the players bats looked like they had removed the original grips and taped up the handle with adhesive tape. I wasn't a baseball player so I don't have much knowledge of how the stuff is applied to the bat. I've noticed pro players rubbing down their bat handles with rags that I've assumed had pine tar on them.

Additional comments and suggestions are appreciated.
agz win
AG
The ESPN2 tv announcers last weekend made fun of the sip batter who had the "Biggio helmet" (meaning covered in tar) commenting they'd never seen tar used with an aluminum bat with full grip and the batter wearing gloves.

I laughed out loud just because they were belittling a sip on tv.
AgRyan04
it's all preference. I always cut the grip off my aluminum bats and taped them cause it gave me a better feel which made me more comfortable. With the tape you could also wrap it thicker in areas that you wanted (like at the knob or underneath a finger to make it more comfortable)

The grips that came on some of the bats became slick when your hands were sweaty. I had buddies who used pinetar but I never really did.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Check out "Texas A&M & Baseball In No Particular Order"
at tamu-and-baseball.com
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I knew more than a few guys in High School who used pine tar. I cut the handles off too because I liked a thinner grip, but the tape was plenty sticky. Especially if you are wearing batters gloves. To each his own though. Whatever makes a guy comfortable is what he should do.
AgRyan04
they also make this great stuff called "Sticky tack" that comes in an aerosol can that you can just spray on your bat or hands or whatever. It is A LOT less messy than actual pine tar....that might be a better option for you one-eye, especially if you're the one doing the wash....it used to be sold at Academy or Oshmans but it's been 4 or 5 years since I've actually looked for it

but yeah, the grip might not be worn out but it is probably just getting slick when it gets wet or sweaty

at tamu-and-baseball.com
Hey Zeus
Pine tar on the aluminum bat was and still isn't a good idea. Just use the grip provided by the bat maker, it works plenty fine. I have always despised the hideous odors put off by pine tar, it is honestly disgusting and really pointless on metal bats. Pine tar grips too much even in the least amount. A lot of college players have been doing over the years because they see the pros use it so they figure it must work. Just like popular fads in the US, certain things get passed down just the relationship of baseball and tobacco, which is one of the worst around.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
A guy at Baseball Express mentioned a grip product called Manny Mota Grip Stick. Its hard to find, I ordered some. Supposed to be as good or better than pine tar without the mess. We'll see.
agz win
AG
As a side note, Sticky Tack is what the ladies use in beauty contests to keep their bathing suits in place on their breast and butt areas.

Much more effective than pine tar.
kramerica6948
how can u think the smell of pine tar is disgusting?
AgRyan04
I don't think that the use of pine tar is a "trendy" thing at all....maybe slathering your helmet with it is though

at tamu-and-baseball.com
jjoemaroul
Don't tell this guy pine tar is a bad idea.

or a lot of other Nebraska players.

Seth Johnston puts the pine tar rag right on his helmet as well as right where you grip the bat every time he comes out of the on deck circle. If it makes you feel pro and you put up pro draft #s, might as well keep doing it. That pine tar smell is baseball. You gotta love baseball. Some guys do a bit of overkill on it but if it gives you that extra edge at the plate mentally you gotta stick with it.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Hey Zeus

Have you played baseball? Rarely will you see anyone that is any good only use the grip provided.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.