NIL, scholarships, roster limits, and House settlement

1,948 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by trouble
TarponChaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So before the House settlement the NCAA allowed 11.7 baseball scholarships and while I know they had roster limits I don't recall what those were. Might have been like 45 but you could only travel or dress a lower number.

Thus, most scholarships were only a pretty small percentage unless you were a total stud. I think you could stack academic money though which was how Vanderbilt built their powerhouse program because they used their university endowment to fund the balance of the the scholarships so they could turn a half scholarship into a full ride.

Then, with the advent of NIL programs like us or tu or LSU could make the balance of scholarships with NiL in the same manner which is a big reason Vandy hasn't been as successful as they were pre-NIL.

Now as I understand it, if a program opts into the House settlement they can have 34 full rides for baseball but they also have a 34-man roster cap plus 7 "designated student athletes," which I understand are usually for injured guys. But, if you didn't opt into the House settlement you're still bound by the 11.7 but don't have the same roster cap. And you can still stack academic money.

All this leads to wondering how schools without the money to fund 34 scholarships plus revenue share and NIL will be able to compete on a regular basis?

How does a school like UH or Texas State or Sam Houston fund their athletic scholarships? I mean if the cost of UH fully funding 34 baseball scholarships a year is about $3MM per year and their operating budget for the main campus is like $1.75B annually, that's less than 0.2% and you're telling me they can't fund those 34 rides???

And sorting out which programs can or cannot fund what and who has or doesn't have NIL budgets is crazy.

Anyway, I'm rambling but just throwing stuff out there as I'm just getting into dealing with this with my oldest who has had unofficial D1 contacts with some programs but they can't officially contact or offer him until August 1 of this summer. But D2 and jucos don't have the same and have been reaching out for a while and we're confused as hell.
5Amp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We need to do a total shift away from football spending and focus on baseball to the point we start winning it all with top recruits and coaches.
Football will always have their fanbase and that base will show up no matter how bad the product is.

Aggie baseball is special, it needs to be a top priority in spends.
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where does the spending come from? Take a guess? Which sport finds everything?
TarponChaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BQ_90 said:

Where does the spending come from? Take a guess? Which sport finds everything?


I'm well aware football and even basketball pay the freight for other sports in most cases. A&M is one of the few baseball programs that I understand operates in the black.

What I'm asking, is barring state laws which might prevent it, if a university like UH has about a $1.75B there's no what they can't find 0.2% of that in their budget to fund 34 full rides. Maybe not NIL but there's a lot of programs out there who could do that which don't have much in the way of NIL.

And my rambling is more related to other programs who don't have our funding and how they can compete in this era.

And how can the current era be a rising tide that lifts all boats and spreads more competition, parity, and money around college baseball so that Omaha isn't just the SEC/ACC challenge? Because if the Big10 outside of Oregon, UCLA, and USC can't reasonably compete and nor can most BigXII or mid-majors they will possibly end up dropping baseball or separating into their own divisions which will take away a lot of what we all love about college baseball.
twk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

&M is one of the few baseball programs that I understand operates in the black.

A&M doesn't come close to running in the black. There was a time we were close, but that was like 10 years ago. Expenses have gone up much faster than revenue. Even LSU runs in the red some years in the current environment. Arkansas probably is in the black. Maybe one or both of the Mississippi schools. That's probably it.
cevans_40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
5Amp said:

We need to do a total shift away from football spending and focus on baseball to the point we start winning it all with top recruits and coaches.
Football will always have their fanbase and that base will show up no matter how bad the product is.

Aggie baseball is special, it needs to be a top priority in spends.

So special we have never won a national title, aren't in the top 10 programs in terms of CWS appearances?
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The short answer is that the House settlement was agreed to by the NCAA and provides the ability for schools to share roughly almost 50% of their notional game-related revenue across all sports with student athletes and the roughly $20.5 million number includes the additional athletic scholarship counts/costs. There is a lot of flexibility for the schools depending on their intake of revenue in how competitive they choose to be and even which sports to fund with additional payments though for most schools football is the hog that gets slaughtered to pay for EVERYTHING else.

I think the additional funding of scholarships addresses a particularly distressing effort by the NCAA to prevent competition on educational benefits and in a perfect world this could unleash a broader, new mission for colleges should they improve competition for students with more helpful educational benefits.

But the big numbers are the additional payments by the school to athletes to allow marketing of the institution using some athlete's name, image, and likeness to "sell tickets and garner eyeballs" so to speak.

UH is fine in part because of alumni support particularly from the owner of the Rockets. Texas State could be fine if Tarps Off creates a rowdy game day environment that wins games.
twk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

the roughly $20.5 million number includes the additional athletic scholarship counts/costs.

My recollection is that if you opted to increase your scholarship counts, then your revenue sharing went from $20.5 million to $18.5 million. It's not a one for one tradeoff. You can be spending a lot more by adding scholarship than you are giving up in the revenue sharing limitation. That's one reason why most of the programs who did opt to fund 34 baseball full rides are giving baseball little or no revenue sharing money -- baseball already got 22.3 more scholarships, so adding revenue sharing on top of that doesn't make much sense.
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Athletics in Texas cannot be funded out of State money or funds. So UH operating budget for the entire university doesn't matter. So then guess what funds the athletic department, you guessed it, football or the tv money contracts that come from football.
5Amp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BQ_90 said:

Where does the spending come from? Take a guess? Which sport finds everything?

And that fan base will continue to shell out money no matter what product u put on the field. We should funnel the majority of that money to baseball, they will never miss it,

Lady Aravis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Assuming you're talking about donation money, solidly illegal to do that....not to mention highly unethical and immoral.

Also, football already pays for the entire athletic department.
5Amp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lady Aravis said:

Assuming you're talking about donation money, solidly illegal to do that....not to mention highly unethical and immoral.

Also, football already pays for the entire athletic department.

I think you are wrong.

I was told donations go to the Athletic department and it is distributed out per their distribution plan, I am assuming that is the same with Nil money.

My point is we have a better chance to win NC in baseball than in football. Pump Elko type money into baseball coaching staff and the results will be a lot better than what we are getting across the street.

could you imagine Jimbo's salary type money going into Aggie baseball? The AD should be selling this baseball Mecca concept to the masses and at the same time, the football fans will still get what they have always gotten, average seasons with a lot of overhyped jerks.
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Unless it is a directed donation. You can give to NIL (and the AD) for a specific sport.
Lady Aravis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And I can't imagine very many people are giving generic donations....
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know I didn't
5Amp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trouble said:

Unless it is a directed donation. You can give to NIL (and the AD) for a specific sport.

Tell me how and I will donate to Aggie baseball.



https://www.12thmanfoundation.com/membership-giving/


trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll find you all the info tomorrow. I looked into all of it when I renewed my football tickets. I'm just in vacation road trip planning mode right now
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://texasaggiesunited.com/
5Amp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BQ_90 said:

https://texasaggiesunited.com/

That is NIL, I am talking about specifically Aggie baseball program although I appreciate the link and will contribute to my favorite players for 2027.

Hey, I am not trying to be somebody trying to show somebody up or cause a problem but before NIL, I tried to donate to Aggie baseball only and was told that is not how it's done.

Maybe I was mistaken, someone show me how.

trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The easiest way is to call and ask about the excellence fund. (I think that's what it is called) There's one specific to baseball.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.