Jack Cooper, Texas Aggie baseball letterman class of 1940

1,827 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by Premieraggie
ABATTBQ87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jack Grady Wilson Cooper, A&M College of Texas class of 1940, KIA June 6, 1944, while serving as Pilot on a B24 conducting a mission over France.

Jack Cooper was a member of F Battery Field Artillery and the T Club, a 2-year Baseball Letterman, (led the SWC in batting average in 1938) as pictured in the 1940 Longhorn

In the early morning of June 6, 1944, three dozen B-24s took off for their target, a road and railroad crossing at Lisieux, France. During this mission, he was on the crew of the B-24 Liberator #44-40471 "No Love No Nothin".

Cloud cover forced the decision to return to England without dropping their ordnance. Somewhere over the English Channel, they collided with another B-24 (42-94789) "Moby Dick". There was a total loss of all 20 men from the combined crews, however some reports claim that one man survived.

Jack Cooper is commemorated on the Tablets of the Missing at Brittany American Cemetery.

Shoefly!
AG
Damn!
alamoaggie64
AG
And his name should be on plaque at entrance of MSC.
alamoaggie64
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Or the new baseball stadium.
CowPieAndFries
Here.
Formerly CowPieAndFries
DallasAg10
AG
Jugstore Cowboy said:

Or the new baseball stadium.

This.

And, Here.
Double A
AG
Here.
Capitol Ag
AG
Just finished Masters of the Air on Apple (a must watch if you haven't seen it yet). Hits close to home after watching that. A scrubbed mission and still had the loss of 20 men. Not uncommon in those missions. Every mission was very dangerous regardless of the outcome. But still, so, so frustrating.

HERE! Hopefully God brought comfort to the fallen men's families and loved ones. These were heroes.
StinkyPinky
AG
Wow. How unfortunate. He absolutely needs to be commemorated somehow with the stadium/program.

Here
DDowl44
AG
I do think naming new fields or facilities for letterman killed in service of our nation would be appropriate. I think Olsen Field will always be Olsen Field in the same way Fenway will always be Fenway and Wrigley will always be Wrigley. I do think you absolutely could consider retiring his number and putting a gold star on his uniforms and seeing as he was born 4/13 you could always play one game around that day as Cpt. Wilson Day and you wear the Red White and Blue unis or Cadet unis.
----------------------------------------------------
I cannot fiddle but I can build a great state from a small city
-Thermistocles

Titan 20 '09, EMPSA '20

OEF VET 2011-12, 13-14
Premieraggie
Here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.