$1million NIL for softball pitcher

5,528 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Smoochie-Wallace II
TravelinTex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I find the dynamic of softball pitcher usage interesting in this.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/40633634/ex-stanford-softball-ace-nijaree-canady-commits-texas-tech
greg.w.h
AG
Fast pitch softball is very different than baseball. She could start every game and is the most important player in the field. And if bats too can be transformative for a team. And played extremely well for the Cardinal.
12Power
I'm just glad she didn't go to ou, tu or bama as anticipated.
TarponChaser
Evidently it's being funded solely by one husband & wife set of alumni. John Sellers who was a tceh football player and co-founder of Double Eagle and his wife Tracy who played softball there herself. I'm fairly certain that if she didn't play softball this NIL deal wouldn't have been made.
Serious Lee
the dollar amount isnt whats strange to me. its that its texas tech. ive never heard a single thing about the softball program, until now.
catfan
Tech has only been to softball regionals six times and has a new coach from ULL who was quite successful. Came down to six figure deal from Stanford or much bigger offer from Tech. Also visited Bama, UT, KU.
PhatMack19
AG
Serious Lee said:

the dollar amount isnt whats strange to me. its that its texas tech. ive never heard a single thing about the softball program, until now.

OU and tu are gone, so Tech's only competition is Okie Lt. tech was 8-16 in conference last year, but the whole rest of the conference was bad outside of the top 3. Tech could compete with Okie Lt for the Big 12 title next year.
AggieBiker
AG
Moving from Stanford to Tech. More money and easy-as-pie education. She couldn't turn that down. At the same time, if she had not grown up in Kansas she probably would not have been open to living in Lubbock. But it still took a million dollars to get her to move there.
Hill08
I've stated this many times. Pay a stud pitcher and basically punch your ticket to Oklahoma City.
cevans_40
AG
Hill08 said:

I've stated this many times. Pay a stud pitcher and basically punch your ticket to Oklahoma City.

We will see. I don't see that working for Tech this season.
greg.w.h
AG
The donors are paying for wins. The strategy is clear and understandable. The NCAA is helpless to fix it due to the recent settlement and repeat rulings against them plus shifts in state law.

It will be interesting if she is able to do enough by herself. I don't think it is an unreasonable thing to attempt but given OU there are no guarantees it works.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Softball pitcher dad here...

What y'all are saying is somewhat true, but softball pitches cannot pitch every game. Just like in baseball, they typically will pitch one game out of a weekend three game series. The mechanics if done correctly do not stress the arm as much, but fatigue is a real factor. That being said, playoffs are playoffs so you will see girls pitch on pretty short rest, and sometimes yes, even back to back games.

My girl is excited to get to see Nijaree in person. She was a lot of fun to watch last year.
greg.w.h
AG
To be clear I said start. I'll note that the fatigue is real but the physical stress is moderated by the underhand motion so the baseball model doesn't directly apply. And this a truly unusual fast pitch pitcher who can handle the mental burden as well as the physical stress add fatigue. We have had a couple of those in the past. Not sure about Tech.
Chetos
AG
Wow that is a lot of money… but it'd take a lot more than that to get me to go to that chit hole
TarponChaser
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Softball pitcher dad here...

What y'all are saying is somewhat true, but softball pitches cannot pitch every game. Just like in baseball, they typically will pitch one game out of a weekend three game series. The mechanics if done correctly do not stress the arm as much, but fatigue is a real factor. That being said, playoffs are playoffs so you will see girls pitch on pretty short rest, and sometimes yes, even back to back games.

My girl is excited to get to see Nijaree in person. She was a lot of fun to watch last year.

I know very little about softball but you can look at stats and see somebody like Cat Osterman at tu who started 40 of 63 games for them in 2002 and pitched in 51 games. In 2003 she started 36 of 58 games and pitched in 40.

She started 148 games and pitched in 180. That's 59.9% and 72.8% of games, respectively.

She played in 2002 and 2003, missed 2004 for Team USA/Olympics, and then returned in 2005 and 2006 to tu.

In those 4 seasons tu went to the Women's CWS 3 times and in 2002 lost in the regional semifinals. In 2004 when she was off playing for Team USA the lady-sips went 24-25 and missed the postseason.

In her career the tea-sips won 203 games and she's credited with 136 of them. That's 67%.

I'm sure it would be similar numbers for any other elite pitcher.
AggieBill005
AG
Ive wondered what a professional baseball pitcher could do with a soft ball delivery. It's so much better for shoulder and arm mechanics. If a pitcher could adopt that deliver, get movement on the ball, and do so in the upper 80's... Dunno. Seeing so many arm injuries anymore, the guys are going past the point of maximal biomechanics.
Aston04
AG
AggieBill005 said:

Ive wondered what a professional baseball pitcher could do with a soft ball delivery. It's so much better for shoulder and arm mechanics. If a pitcher could adopt that deliver, get movement on the ball, and do so in the upper 80's... Dunno. Seeing so many arm injuries anymore, the guys are going past the point of maximal biomechanics.
nereus
AG
There has definitely been a movement to having more pitchers sharing the load than there was two decades ago. The top two teams, OU and t.u., had their most used pitchers throwing only 38% and 32% of their innings. Neither of those teams had a pitcher with an ERA in the top 50 in the nation, but their team ERAs were 10th & 12th because they had multiple good pitchers. Even for us last year, there were times where it really felt like we needed another top pitcher in additional to Kennedy to give her some rest.

There are still those pitchers that do carry the load for their team. Rothrock for Florida pitched 60% of their innings. Canady pitched 51%. Kennedy pitched 53% for us. 1 elite pitcher will still get you quite a ways in softball, but the two teams in the championship game also scored the 2nd and 3rd most runs in the nation. It isn't as pitcher dominated of a game as it was back when Cat was playing.

I would image her workload at Tech will be similar to how much she was throwing at Stanford. It might be enough to get Tech to the WCWS, but it isn't as much of a sure thing as it used to be.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Cat Osterman was a rare talent. Like I said, fatigue is the issue. Most of the season, your top pitchers will pitch one game in the series. You will see sometimes they'll pitch game 1 and 3, but coaches in softball manage how much they pitch, but again, fatigue is the issue. If you have a rare kid who just can keep it going, it is not going to hurt them like it would in baseball.
EliteZags
AG
Serious Lee said:

def is to me when you consider it's over double the annual revenue of most softball programs
Matsui
AG
Get the cash good for her
TheBonifaceOption
Imagine a player making more money in college than pro.
W
AG
the Lubbock animal shelter didn't need a $1 MM donation?
Gap
AG
There is something perverse about a system where a sport at the school where the school/athletic department is losing $1 million a year, yet a booster is paying a single player on that team $1.2M per season that isn't even considered in that overall loss position of the school. This isn't a Texas Tech issue. The college sports model is just completely corrupted with some costs on the school's books and other cost not on the school's books. Of course, this is "NIL" and not pay to play.
MarcAg
AG
I call BS on this. Liucci said that would be more than the entire baseball team NIL was last year. And he said that was a baseball team with one of the 3 best rosters in college baseball and it didn't cost that much total. This sounds like the softball sliced bread.
20ag07
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5664181/2024/07/29/nijaree-canady-texas-tech-nil-million-dollar-contract/?source=user_shared_article

The Athletic has WAY too much info into this deal, which all just ends up looking like "What the Sellers' are willing to do", with a ton of quotes from Sellers.

$1,050,024- $1M, $50K for living expenses, and $24 because that's her number.

Like, we know this stuff goes on, but the detail openly admitted to here is pretty ick.

I don't really know why Sellers would want this level of detail released, publicly on record. Bc you're gonna have a bunch of people knocking at your door saying "where's mine?". But he's made a lot more money than I have.
20ag07
Quote:

Softball generated $1.38 million, but that includes the Sellers' $1 million donation, and after expenses still posted a $1.15 million deficit. (In fiscal year 2022, softball generated just over $340,000 and operated at a deficit of $1.44 million.) Glasco's new coaching contract reportedly will pay him $1.33 million over five years, including $250,000 next season.
Also, crazy numbers to see here. A softball program, 2 years in a row, outside of donations, generates $300K.

And you are paying a player 4x what her coach makes, which is like 3x the revenue the entire program has earned the past couple years.

That's wild.

I mean, I know it happens in pro sports at all levels. And we all know that plenty of coaches make more than their "boss" AD. But that's bonkers.
hipnix
20ag07 said:

Quote:

Softball generated $1.38 million, but that includes the Sellers' $1 million donation, and after expenses still posted a $1.15 million deficit. (In fiscal year 2022, softball generated just over $340,000 and operated at a deficit of $1.44 million.) Glasco's new coaching contract reportedly will pay him $1.33 million over five years, including $250,000 next season.
Also, crazy numbers to see here. A softball program, 2 years in a row, outside of donations, generates $300K.

And you are paying a player 4x what her coach makes, which is like 3x the revenue the entire program has earned the past couple years.

That's wild.

I mean, I know it happens in pro sports at all levels. And we all know that plenty of coaches make more than their "boss" AD. But that's bonkers.
The school is not paying her. John and Tracy Sellers are. People over pay for crap all the time just because they want something and they have the money to blow. Even before the new coach, Tech was paying their players $10k each. A sport like softball only needs one super wealthy benefactor who is willing to turn it into their personal pet project. Oklahoma has Judy Love (worth $11 billion) bankrolling their whole operation and clearly it shows what an impact that can have.
Matsui
AG
Great for her. Get the bag
Smoochie-Wallace II
Tracy played softball for Tech, and she and John started the Matador NIL collective for Tech. As strange as it sounds, making this deal is proof of commitment for the collective. If you're a billionaire and have a chance to sign the top softball pitcher in the nation for a million and you're the head of your school collective, you have to make the deal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.