Earley signs of a great young head coach

5,352 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by src94
HTownMan87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Earley and his staff absolutely cooked during this roster battle cycle, really ticked every box they should and more. Really good signs that he may be the real deal. Still needs to win his first game, etc... Will be interesting to see how he handles things as a young coach next year. I thought it was good he was looking at how Vitello did stuff as a model for a young HC.
greg.w.h
AG
He's the real deal. Until he isn't…
Luke The Drifter
AG
I love Coach Earley and have zero issues with the hire. I think it's great the players pulled so hard for him, which helped keep the roster intact. But the real test will come when all of these players who lobbied for him are no longer with the program. Can he sustain success on the recruiting trail? Can he produce a winner without Jace, all of the Gavins, Kent, etc.? I'm confident he's capable, but anytime you hire a new coach, you have to wait til the honeymoon is done before you make a true assessment.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Cen-Tex
AG
So far confidence is high. We have a strong line up returning, so hopefully the '24 season enthusiasm will carry over. But…it always boils down to great pitching, sure-handed fielding, timely hitting and luck.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Cen-Tex said:

So far confidence is high. We have a strong line up returning, so hopefully the '24 season enthusiasm will carry over. But…it always boils down to great pitching, sure-handed fielding, timely hitting and luck.

And NIL...

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
greg.w.h
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Cen-Tex said:

And NIL...

The settlement fixes quite a bit of NIL and likely leaves the rest chasing real talent and achieving real sponsorships. But getting there from here is a still indeterminate road. But just funding 32 scholarships helps. And further funding the internal NIL that the schools distribute (starting at $20 million intended to be derived from the 20% of all revenue sources) will help.

Improving derived revenue from game days and other events (think weddings at Blue Bell for an example) could go a long way to keeping us competitive.
LB12Diamond
AG
Teams we are recruiting against also have NIL.
StinkyPinky
AG
The story will tell itself. Its been a unique and empowering sequence if events to get here. Will be fun to watch. I'm subscribed as usual.
sanaug
AG
Fair point.

On the other hand, I sort of don't care if he is successful here long term.

It feels strange saying that.

But I think I would be okay with him if all he does as A&M's HC is lead this group of players to a national championship (no jinx), even if he flops after that and has to be replaced a couple of years later.

I know that's a big "if", but our 2024-2025 team seems to legitimately have the potential to be very special.
epozehl
AG
I want this, and for him to be successful long term.
LB12Diamond
AG
If Earley wins the whole thing, no reason to think he will not have continued success.
well_endowed_ag
Please stop saying "cooked"
TAMU1990
AG
All this boils down to recruiting- specifically HS. Yes, I understand the portal but the foundation has to be HS. There are more Jaces, Gavins, Cadens, etc in the classes of 2025, 2026, 2027 and beyond.
W
AG
and the postseason draw

some paths to Omaha are more favorable than others
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

But the real test will come when all of these players who lobbied for him are no longer with the program. Can he sustain success on the recruiting trail? Can he produce a winner without Jace, all of the Gavins, Kent, etc.? I'm confident he's capable, but anytime you hire a new coach, you have to wait til the honeymoon is done before you make a true assessment.

Emilio Fantastico
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

I love Coach Earley and have zero issues with the hire. I think it's great the players pulled so hard for him, which helped keep the roster intact. But the real test will come when all of these players who lobbied for him are no longer with the program. Can he sustain success on the recruiting trail? Can he produce a winner without Jace, all of the Gavins, Kent, etc.? I'm confident he's capable, but anytime you hire a new coach, you have to wait til the honeymoon is done before you make a true assessment.

Of course, if he wins it all next year and then proceeds to get steadily worse every year after that, he would still be the most successful coach in A&M history.

94chem
W said:

and the postseason draw

Yep - it was the most Aggie thing ever that the first time we make it this far, with the best team in school history, is the only time in the past 25 years that the overall #1 national seed won it.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
waco_aggie05
AG
It could also be said it was the most Aggie thing ever that we make it to the CWS finals for the first time in school history with a coach who had stopped coaching on our behalf before the postseason even began.
Fairview20
AG
That's why it was so imperative for him to nail his recruiting coordinator hire which it seems like he did with Longley.

It's still TBD to see how Kelly will do in high school recruiting, but between Earley, Longley, and Fox I am very confident our pipeline of position players will still be very strong.
austinag1997
AG
94chem said:

W said:

and the postseason draw

Yep - it was the most Aggie thing ever that the first time we make it this far, with the best team in school history, is the only time in the past 25 years that the overall #1 national seed won it.

In retrospect, we downed some really good teams to get to UT. Oregon and UF. Those were pretty good teams. Without distractions, who knows if we win another against UT...
aggie-1997
AG
Earley has definitely passed his first test in keeping the team together and adding some great talent. I think we can all agree he has exceeded expectations so far in his early career as a head coach. The next part of the job that will be critical is simply managing the game. For me this is the next unknown and critical to his success. It feels like he has been taking notes throughout his career, so I am optimistic he will be a good game manager, but time will tell.
src94
AG
That and continued development of players, along with being able to bring in recurring backfills of great asst. coaches, when the good ones he has ultimately move up to be head coaches themselves.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.