So who's going to be the closer next year?

5,635 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 12thMan9
LB12Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who do you have?

I think that is going to be the one key to being a top 3 team.

Starting pitching, hitting and defense will be elite. Just need to work out the relief pitching.

Is the transfer lefty a starter or a reliever? I might go with him.
The Marksman
AG
Grant Cunningham or Josh Stewart
BreNayPop
AG
Stewart was looking realllly good toward the end of the year.
LB12Diamond
AG
I think Cunningham will be a starter bc he's a righty. We need one righty starter in the rotation. Just my guess.

That's the reason I picked the lefty transfer. Just don't see us going with three lefty starters.
StinkyPinky
AG
BreNayPop said:

Stewart was a standout during the CWS. Super impressed by how he pitched in those situations. He's got the tools and now experience and confidence to be really good.
HartHall94
In addition to filling the closer role, I feel like a right handed weekend starter could be an area that could help the team? With Tanner Jones being drafted, who has potential to fill this role? We are stacked with potential left handed starters. Forgive me if I'm sleeping on some of the younger guys/prospects. If we don't have a right handed starter, would there be more value in using Cunningham in a long relief type scenario to bridge games that don't go well for the starter, as opposed to use a closer? Is there a chance Cunningham becomes a starter? I like the idea of Stewart as a closer. He seemed comfortable in the role. Hopefully a couple of others also step up.
Sean98
AG
Quote:

Is the transfer lefty a starter or a reliever? I might go with him.
Myles is 100% a starter.
LB12Diamond
AG
If that's the case Sdao might be a reliever next year
StinkyPinky
AG
I bet we see Sdao back as a closer. We could afford moving Sdao to a starter (especially because towards the end we needed a 3rd day starter) because we had Asch and CC. Don't have that luxury anymore. We need our next Asch.
LB12Diamond
AG
Yeppers

Sdao probably will get the CC role next year.
twk
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Yeppers

Sdao probably will get the CC role next year.
The primary reason we used Cortez out of the bullpen was he just didn't do as well as a starter.

If he's healthy, Sdao will very likely be one of our 3 weekend starters. Right now, I would say Stewart is the most likely to be a closer.
Farmer1906
AG
I think Sdao has a better shot at Friday Night Starter than Closer.

HartHall94
Wilson's size/stuff seems like it has a high ceiling. Are they developing him as a starter or does he have potential in a closing role?
themissinglink
AG
Stewart is penciled in at closer for me after the post season he had.

Have we heard an update on Sdao's injury? Last I heard, they were going to re-evaluate in a few weeks (that was a few weeks ago). I know it sounded like rest and rehab would suffice, but I've seen too many guys need TJ within like 6 months to a year after trying to rehab the injury.
HartHall94
Agree on Stewart. Would be nice to have a right and lefty closer option.
OnlyForNow
AG
I REALLY want Armstrong to come out and break some batters souls down.

Dude has the dog in him, but he didn't get to show it much at all last year. Pitched great in the regional/super
Farmer1906
AG
Didn't he sign?
greg.w.h
AG
I wonder if in the upcoming six months the answer will become clear?!?
LB12Diamond
AG
So discuss it after is known. Interesting theory.
themissinglink
AG
Yes
OnlyForNow
AG
SOB!
TAM85
Wansing may be the one.
greg.w.h
AG
LB12Diamond said:

So discuss it after is known. Interesting theory.
Well…we won't know it just because someone closes a game…unless they're that good.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
StinkyPinky said:

BreNayPop said:

Stewart was a standout during the CWS. Super impressed by how he pitched in those situations. He's got the tools and now experience and confidence to be really good.

may just be me but stewart really reminds me of james harden of the oakland A's about a decade ago. his style, delivery, and velocity are very similar. that's a great thing and would agree assuming correct mentality stewart has the physical gifts to be a dominate closer.
dallas_ag_2015
AG
Is it official that Evan is gone?
greg.w.h
AG
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

StinkyPinky said:

BreNayPop said:

may just be me but stewart really reminds me of james harden of the oakland A's about a decade ago. his style, delivery, and velocity are very similar. that's a great thing and would agree assuming correct mentality stewart has the physical gifts to be a dominate closer.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Harden
AggieBB
AG
Evan Aschenbeck. Duh.
trouble
AG
He signed with the Mets
tjack16
AG
Won't be a closer.

We're going to be up double digits every game and won't need one with our offense
missinAggieland
AG
I love the way too early predictions. I never get them right, but it sure is fun to look at that roster!
Leander - Ag
AG
Evan
dixichkn
AG
Could Moss or maybe K Wilson take on that role? Or are they being looked at as starters/middle relief?
Texas Yarddog
AG
missinAggieland said:

I love the way too early predictions. I never get them right, but it sure is fun to look at that roster!

Yeah it is. With all the people coming back and the pitching staff additions (and their potential) , we are looking like monsters next year.
Texas Yarddog
AG
The Marksman said:

Grant Cunningham or Josh Stewart

I could see both these guys becoming closers which would be huge. Both have the arm talent for it.
missinAggieland
AG
Texas Yarddog said:

missinAggieland said:

Yeah it is. With all the people coming back and the pitching staff additions (and their potential) , we are looking like monsters next year.

Today's news.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.