David Pierce Gets Huge Promotion

5,998 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RED AG 98
Martin Cash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Assistant coach at Southwest Texas Normal School.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
dabo man
AG
He's biding his time for the Rice job to open up.
jkag89
dabo man said:

That or Cougar High.
BurnetAggie99
Pretty good hire for TX State. Like it was already mentioned I believe if Rice opens up he would like to be HC there. Has prior coaching history with Rice.
BurnetAggie99
jkag89 said:

dabo man said:

That or Cougar High.

Whitting has to be on the hot seat at UH. They haven't been to a Regional since 2018. This year he was 26-28 record.
RED AG 98
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Pretty good hire for TX State. Like it was already mentioned I believe if Rice opens up he would like to be HC there. Has prior coaching history with Rice.
GREAT hire for TX State. Huge get of a really good pitching coach with tons of experience.
AggieGunslinger
AG
It kind of surprised he took it, it's mostly the same same fan base he just dealt with.
BurnetAggie99
Probably doesn't even have to move keep his house in Austin and just drive to San Marcos
Divining Rod
if you can't beat 'em.....
Come Out Roll
AG
RED AG 98 said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

GREAT hire for TX State. Huge get of a really good pitching coach with tons of experience.

"….really good pitching coach…"
Kind of a suspect statement, if you pay attention to what his former players say about him….
DallasAg10
AG
Schloss to Collin College in 2 years confirmed.
agswin1988
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

jkag89 said:

dabo man said:

That or Cougar High.

Whitting has to be on the hot seat at UH. They haven't been to a Regional since 2018. This year he was 26-28 record.

They just hired Woody Williams as their pitching coach. If they get rid of Whitting, they would be smart to look at Woody if he wanted to be head coach. He had 15 year career in MLB and is liked by everyone. Great guy that has done very good with pitching staffs in the passed
mustang1234
BurnetAggie99 said:

jkag89 said:

dabo man said:

That or Cougar High.

Tillman has a target on him
Sq 17
Is there a reason we cr***ing on Pierce or Texas State
Dude got fired and got a new job very late in the hiring cycle
tu is living rent free in OP's head
Cen-Tex
AG
Wasn't aware of the hiring. Whether it's Pierce or anyone else, it's good to keep up with the latest college baseball news.
ensign_beedrill
AG
We like to keep up with college baseball news on this board. Sorry.
dabo man
AG
Pierce was an assistant at Rice for 9 years. He's someone we've speculated about all season as it was obvious his time at tu was up. Then they finished strong and tu fired him anyway.

Jose Cruz, Jr has been at Rice four seasons (I think) and done nothing. I think his time's about up and Pierce has positioned himself to the next head coach. We'll see, but it definitely a good topic for this board.
Sq 17
The winky eye and referring it to as

"Southwest Texas Normal School"

I would classify as crapping on the school and indirectly crapping on Pierce
trouble
AG
That was the original name.
woodiewood
dabo man said:

Pierce was an assistant at Rice for 9 years. He's someone we've speculated about all season as it was obvious his time at tu was up. Then they finished strong and tu fired him anyway.

Jose Cruz, Jr has been at Rice four seasons (I think) and done nothing. I think his time's about up and Pierce has positioned himself to the next head coach. We'll see, but it definitely a good topic for this board.
Rice is going to have a difficult time getting anywhere near where they were during their haydays. Pierce is a very nice person but I don't thing he's going to do it.
Sq 17
Factually correct
Do you think the OP was disparaging the school or the job Pierce took ?

Yes I refer to the school in Lubbock as Tceh and occasionally call TCU purple Baylor. That is when I am talking about the schools doing things that warrant mocking.
Pierce taking a job does not IMO need the mocking
trouble
AG
But that's what we call it around here.
Tex100
AG
Sq 17 said:

The winky eye and referring it to as

"Southwest Texas Normal School"

I would classify as crapping on the school and indirectly crapping on Pierce

Oh no, he said something mean about a school that is filled with sip fans. If it makes you feel better, they probably call us ****.

ensign_beedrill
AG
OK. Honestly, when I read "cr***ing" I read it as "crushing" and had no idea what that would mean. So. Thanks for clarifying that.
aTm 99
AG
Come Out Roll said:

RED AG 98 said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

"….really good pitching coach…"
Kind of a suspect statement, if you pay attention to what his former players say about him….
I know a horns pitcher personally and there was nothing positive said about him. I agree that the statement above doesn't check out.
dabo man
AG
I would take any one kid's experiences with a grain of salt. Patterns of behavior I pay attention to.

I knew a kid who was one of the top HS pitchers in the Houston area in 2003. He signed with Rice who immediately changed his mechanics. He lost his control, had a dismal 2004 season there, wound up in junior college, and never got back his command.

Anyway, based on this one kid's experiences, Rice was an awful place to be at the time when they were the best program in college baseball. Wayne Graham was a mean old man (I already knew that) and couldn't coach (as per this kid's parents).
dabo man
AG
I'll contradict my previous post and say I worked with a guy for 11 years whose son-in-law was a SHSU player under John Skeeters. I heard enough Skeeters stories from him over the years to convince me that he wasn't a great man (so I'm judging a coach from one source). My colleague's daughter was already dating this guy when he was playing at Sam.
RED AG 98
AG
DP was the HC at one of if not the biggest name baseball schools in the country (historically, not saying current relevance..). Won 3 B12 titles, made 3 CWS appearances, and was National Coach of the Year 4-5 years ago.

Nowhere did I say I want him as our coach or anything like it. But that's still a pretty phenomenal hire for TXST as AHC...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.