So the Angels blinked at 45

7,303 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by texas_ute
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As I predicted several weeks ago, the nonsense about Cortez being top 150 was a lie that multiple GM's kept telling themselves. They thought they were spinning a more palatable lie by moving him to top 100 recently. I'm sure they all hoped that the others believed the lie, but the Angels finally said, "enough of this crap. Y'all know he's a steal at 45; time to end this game of chicken."
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Langley
I love this. I hate this. I don't know how to feel about this
Sq 17
Be happy for CC
And hope that his success gets 2 more players to choose to come to A&M
TMF
AG
Sq 17 said:

Be happy for CC
And hope that his success gets 2 more players to choose to come to A&M

I just wish he didn't go to the Angels. Such a horrible organization.
04.arch.ag
AG
At least with the angels being crap he probably has a quicker path to the pros and in 3-5 years is traded to a contender at the deadline. Good luck CC.
pirmag
AG
God luck, CC.
LB12Diamond
AG
45 was to low. He should have been taken in the first round.
94chem
LB12Diamond said:

45 was to low. He should have been taken in the first round.

The next Andrew Miller if he isn't a starter. The stuff is certainly there.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
twk
AG
Maybe the Angels will be dumb enough to trade him for some past-his-prime hitter so that he can play for an organization that wins. I just hope they have some good minor league development guys that can help Chris master control issues. That's all that is standing between him and the majors.
Noctilucent
AG
Congrats Chris Cortez! Whoop! Now show the Angels, and the rest of MLB why you shoulda been taken in the first round!
LB12Diamond
AG
I was just checking out the Angels minor league teams.

Trash Pandas is their AA affiliate. LOL

Minor league baseball has the best mascots.
94chem
From ESPN:
"The Angels take college players who can move quickly to the big leagues. Cortez has a lot of Jordan Hicks to him, both in that he has a triple-digit sinker but also that some teams think he might actually become a starter. If the Angels fast track him in relief, he might be the first big leaguer of the entire 2024 draft class."
94chem,
94chem
My only concern with Cortez was that he might walk a guy or two, and then accidentally hit somebody's bat.
94chem,
94chem
twk said:

Maybe the Angels will be dumb enough to trade him for some past-his-prime hitter so that he can play for an organization that wins. I just hope they have some good minor league development guys that can help Chris master control issues. That's all that is standing between him and the majors.

The funny thing is, he actually has excellent control...until he doesn't. A lot of his walks were 4 misses within 3" of the plate. Then there were the head-scratcher big misses. But if he can consistently throw strike one, he won't need to be in the zone, especially if he starts throwing the changeup more often. His change up is devastating, and he never even used it from the pen.
94chem,
trouble
AG
04.arch.ag said:

At least with the angels being crap he probably has a quicker path to the pros and in 3-5 years is traded to a contender at the deadline. Good luck CC.

This is my hope
trouble
AG
I love minor league teams
trouble
AG
94chem said:

My only concern with Cortez was that he might walk a guy or two, and then accidentally hit somebody's bat.

Or head
gig_em02
CC is a class act and was very friendly to my son in Omaha. A great representative of our University. Wherever he ends up in the pros, we are going to travel to see him. Good luck CC
Wahoo82
AG
We are going to Biloxi in about three weeks and plan on catching the Shuckers play the Trash Pandas. Maybe get to see him?
Fat Tony
AG
What was the slot $ for the 45th pick?
greg.w.h
AG
trouble said:

94chem said:

Or head
Speaking of Bobby Witt Sr…did you see Junior is joining the HR Derby?
P.U.T.U
AG
Fat Tony said:

What was the slot $ for the 45th pick?
Around $2 million
trouble
AG
I had not! I'll go read up on it.
ArlingtonAg2015
AG
LB12Diamond said:

The Trash Pandas are in North Alabama (Huntsville - Madison) and have a pretty cool new ball park. It's a great area with tons of growth. I'd be pretty happy to go there...heck of a lot better than Tulsa, Amarillo, Wichita, etc.
alabamaaggie12
AG
As a Rocket City Trash Panda season ticket holder, very excited at the possibility of seeing CC pitch here! Our local Aggie club will give him a big welcome for sure.
agdaddy04
AG
Wahoo82 said:

We are going to Biloxi in about three weeks and plan on catching the Shuckers play the Trash Pandas. Maybe get to see him?

I doubt he'll be in AA already in three weeks, but I guess stranger things have happened.
CapCityAg89
AG
94chem said:

See. That's the thing. In the minor leagues nobody cares. He'll be able to throw pitch after pitch at the zone and if they go 450 the other way, he'll throw a bunch more. That's the one thing about college - wins and losses matter.

In some ways that's great but for others, not so much. It means he gets cute with the zone to avoid the long ball or gets yanked after one guy if he's a little wild. The minors will give him the chance to work all of that out with no ramifications except his own development.
aggiepanic95
AG
Pretty neat we had one player selected at 12 and another at 45. Both numbers are significant.
greg.w.h
AG
trouble said:

I had not! I'll go read up on it.
To be clear: I'm sure Chris is scary with his fastball, But Bobby Sr. was scary at a well-recognized higher level. I actually work with an early girlfriend who lives in his hometown and went to school with him. It was a "no way" moment.

Junior of course eschewed being a wild pitcher for something…better??
trouble
AG
He's having his brother in law pitch to him instead of his dad. Probably a wise choice.
AnimalA10
AG
LB12Diamond said:

My local team. Looking forward to seeing the boys in Madison soon.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Sure are a lot of Huntsville/Madison area Ags on here

ElephantRider
AG
aggiepanic95 said:

Pretty neat we had one player selected at 12 and another at 45. Both numbers are significant.

45?
trouble
AG
He was a lot of fun to watch tonight.
texas_ute
AG
We have the AAA team for the Angels here in SLC. (Salt Lake Bees). Great stadium and atmosphere- would love to be able to root for some Aggie players here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.