Targac for Chesnutt

1,865 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by jkag89
AJ2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What's done is done and we didn't have enough to pull it out despite a tremendous season…

But can we talk about the decision to sub in Targac in the 6th(?)

Curious the thinking there - we give up speed without a meaningful improvement in bat, force our all American freshman 3B to LF and have two non regular season starters in the infield. Gavin is a dude, but clearly not comfortable or happy in LF (almost gets trucked by Jace on a fly ball and bobbles a single that turns into a double). Not to mention the Dreiling HR that Jace maybe could have robbed if he's still in RF?

All for an 8th inning AB with runners on in which Targac is completely overmatched with off speed pitches. Chessy is a senior and he provides a spark in the 9-hole. He's not going to lace a double but he creates havoc on the bases. I just don't get the panic move to insert Targac so early in game 3 of MCWS.

Someone please help me out.
FTAG 2000
AG
Chestnut was 0 for Omaha and you need help?
Who?mikejones!
We needed power. Simple as that
LB12Diamond
AG
Have you watched Chestnut's at bats this week and how bad they were for one.

Two, the pitcher was the same one Targ almost knocked it out the day prior. Did you happen to notice how he pitched around Targ?
Killzone3abc
AG
Was a good matchup. Snead is FB heavy, and Targac is a FB hitter. He clearly pitched around Targac too. Given how Kent's AB went in the 8th I would've preferred to sub for Targac even without much faith in Bell doing much. Connell threw 3 off speed pitches to Kent which didn't bode well for Targac. Oh well. It's over.
dixichkn
AG
Potato, po-tah-to. Both guys had their shortcomings throughout the year. I think we were looking for that dream moonshot that we all know Tar is capable of uncorking. That's all I can think of.
AJ2003
Guess you missed the bunt single in the 3rd.
Wabs
AG
100% the move to make.
LB12Diamond
AG
AJ2003 said:

Guess you missed the bunt single in the 3rd.

Guess you missed Schloss stating in his interview why they let him bunt with two strikes. I think it was along the lines he was only striking out anyway so might as well.
AJ2003
Agree Targac can hit the fastball but just seemed like a biggish give that early when you know he's going to see another pitcher with a heavy dose of off speed in the later innings. Oh well.
jkag89
FTAG 2000 said:

Chestnut was 0 for Omaha and you need help?
Well no. He did get a bunt single tonight.

Definitely the right call.. Ryan walked in the pinch hit AB. Ked in the next inning.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.