History lesson needed.

3,111 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by TAMUallen
polander ag81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can someone give me the history of the ball 5 chant? What year? Is this an A&M exclusive tradition? I seem to remember the cadence being much slower ~20 or so years ago. Any other commentary about this or other section 203 shenanigans would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and gig 'em and BTOH MCWS.
Eso si, Que es
I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows. Scholars maintain the origin story was lost hundreds of years ago

LB12Diamond
AG
I know this one. However it involves a couple of wasted baseball fans and I'm not touching that one bc it makes some Aggies bring out pitchforks.
Sharpshooter
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows. Scholars maintain the origin story was lost hundreds of years ago

What is this movie, and, is it worth my time?
Sharpshooter
AG
LB12Diamond said:

I know this one. However it involves a couple of wasted baseball fans and I'm not touching that one bc it makes some Aggies bring out pitchforks.
Class is class. Trash is trash.
Sex Panther
AG
Sharpshooter said:

Eso si, Que es said:

I like it

Decay
AG
Sex Panther said:

Sharpshooter said:

Eso si, Que es said:

I like it

Just don't bother with the sequel.
Texas Yarddog
AG
Was a thing in the mid 90's when I was there.

Much slower way back then.

I have heard ot started lat 80's, but don't know for sure.
woodometer
AG
Things evolve. All that matters is the way its done now
TexasAggie81
I know it goes back as far as when my 33-year-old was about 7 years old (in 1998) when we had lived in CS for about three years. That's when started buying season tickets. The crowd is much nicer now, tbh.
levimod
AG
"A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT!"
StinkyPinky
AG
It was started by Techno Viking. IYKYK
agforlife97
AG
I don't remember it before 1993 or so, I think it was right around that time.
agforlife97
AG
TexasAggie81 said:

I know it goes back as far as when my 33-year-old was about 7 years old (in 1998) when we had lived in CS for about three years. That's when started buying season tickets. The crowd is much nicer now, tbh.
That's definitely true, in the late 80s and early 90s the heckling was way worse for opposing teams.
AgRyan04
Definitley started pre-2000.....it was slower (and more effective when in sync).....it was an A&M exclusive thing, but immitation is the sincerest form of flattery
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
dabo man
AG
In the early 90s, you'd hear it at all of the SWC parks. Not just Olsen. We started on ball 5, everyone else started on ball 4. It wasn't an en masse thing. It would be groups of 10 or 12 or whatever doing it.

In 1997 I went to the Big 12 tournament and realized that OU and OSU did it too. This leads me to believe that Texas/OU/OSU fans were stealing material from each other in Omaha back in the day.

I've read posts that it existed at Olsen as early as the early 80s. I don't doubt that's true, but I don't think that gives us a claim to inventing it. Seems pretty far-fetched to me that pre-1989, Olsen was feeding crowd material to the teams competing in Omaha most years. I find it much more likely that we were getting it from the sips. Anyway, that's my opinion.

It started as an "everyone is doing it" thing in the late 90s. It was MUCH SLOWER then.

This story has been rehashed in probably a half dozen threads this season.
Tex Ag 81
AG
It's faster now due to the pitch clock.
TAMUallen
AG
agforlife97 said:

TexasAggie81 said:

That's definitely true, in the late 80s and early 90s the heckling was way worse for opposing teams.

Everybody would have been banned from all Aggie sports and had their Aggie rings melted
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.