Oregon Coach Thinks we didn't see Oregon baseball

16,579 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by austinag1997
Rec
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm pro Beaver… so anything he says just pisses me off
20ag07
If you listened to the game, they came in prepared (as they should have).

The announcers are talking about how they talked with the pitchers, and they want an SEC level environment bc that's what they are going to see at the next level.

We've got some children here, who get upset any time an opposing coach doesn't bow down in majesty to us.

Any of our venues are tough places to play- everyone knows that. Expecting an opposing coach to say "oh geez, I had no idea, and did no research whatsoever, our team just wasn't ready at all. Gig em to the Aggies, section 203, Section 12, Aggie Alley, a '6100 capacity' that is really 9000+' Now we know though."

Seems to be what thin skinned BigSneezy wants though.
GarryowenAg
AG
Shooz in Katy said:

Wabs said:

Didn't listen. Any comment on bat flipping and pimping walks in the 2nd inning?

No question asked about it and no comment on it. But "bat flipper guy" did answer several questions and his demeanor was sure different in the press conference than it was when he was flipping his bat on a pitch clock violation walk and staring down our dugout on the way to first.

He answered some question to the effect of "being on fire early" but that they couldn't maintain it. He also said Cortez just "won each matchup" to downplay Cortez's talent and ability.

So bat flipper exuded the same smugness his coach does. They both downplayed the fans and stadium environment.

I fully expect those responses, of course, but I am excited to see if bat flipper continues to bat flip and taunt tonight! If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a bat flipping duck!

I actually thought that kid sounded pretty respectful during the interview. He specifically took questions while his teammate was too emotional to answer any questions. I think the coach was a bit aggressive, but the bag flip kid was good.
borrego29
AG
I'm with some of the posters here....I saw nothing wrong with their press conf. Spoke like any opposing coach should speak....he was concise and respectful. The same goes to his player.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I think people in the media just like asking about the environment and the atmosphere, because they're kind of softball questions that don't require much prep and give an easy compliment to their hosts.

Matt Deggs got asked the same questions when U-La-La was here and had to explain that he was somewhat familiar with the place.
austinag1997
AG
Blitz88 said:

austinag1997 said:

They had 2 errors. What would you expect him to say? Their starter threw over 100 pitches. Seems they dealt with the heat and fans OK. Cortez shut them down. They banged hits out on Prager.

They're a good team.

Yes they are a good team.

As for their starter, the 100 pitches were only across 3.1 innings

42 pitches in the first!
W
AG
bottomline...

the Oregon head coach knows that his team blew a golden opportunity in game 1 after scoring 6 against Prager

game 1 is the key game in the SR round
austinag1997
AG
W said:

bottomline...

the Oregon head coach knows that his team blew a golden opportunity in game 1 after scoring 6 against Prager

Yep. Statistically, 78% of Game 1 winners advance.
Hungry Ojos
If we're being honest, we won the game because a freshman pitcher walked the bases loaded and gave us three free runs. That probably isn't indicative of "Oregon baseball" which is probably what he was getting at. Their mustachioed pitcher completely shut us down after that.

At the same time, we played nowhere near what we are capable of either. Prager never has outings like that and it was simply an anomaly that they took complete advantage of. There was no need for them to be intimated or afraid of us yesterday because we didn't play any semblance of the gorilla ball we've been known for.

I think both teams played below their capabilities but we were fortunate to win. Hopefully we play our best today and close them out in a laugher.
TarponChaser
Look at their numbers all season. Oregon pitchers walked a lot of guys. A lot more than our staff. Our offensive output was expected and the result of being patient and wearing down their pitching. The only real unexpected thing was Prager getting touched up for 6 runs.

And my gut instinct tells me that the whiners on here are the sort who rooted for t.u. over USC in the national title game and bought those godawful shirts with the band-aids on the horns.
Aggie
AG
If an A&M coach said those exact comments, this board would be filled up post saying how awesome that is
aphi1983
AG
I hope they have fun next year on the long rides to the east!
Muy
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

If we're being honest, we won the game because a freshman pitcher walked the bases loaded and gave us three free runs. That probably isn't indicative of "Oregon baseball" which is probably what he was getting at. Their mustachioed pitcher completely shut us down after that.

At the same time, we played nowhere near what we are capable of either. Prager never has outings like that and it was simply an anomaly that they took complete advantage of. There was no need for them to be intimated or afraid of us yesterday because we didn't play any semblance of the gorilla ball we've been known for.

I think both teams played below their capabilities but we were fortunate to win. Hopefully we play our best today and close them out in a laugher.

We scored 7 additional runs so pretty sure we won because of more than just 3 free runs.
txag72
AG
Their first 2 pitchers faced 20 batters, averaged nearly 6 pitches per batter, had 5 wild pitches, 8 walks, and 2 of the 10 outs were our base running mistakes. And nothing bothered them, not the heat, not the crowd, nothing. Hope nothing bothers them today just like yesterday.
HoustonAg2106
AG
txag72 said:

Their first 2 pitchers faced 20 batters, averaged nearly 6 pitches per batter, had 5 wild pitches, 8 walks, and 2 of the 10 outs were our base running mistakes. And nothing bothered them, not the heat, not the crowd, nothing. Hope nothing bothers them today just like yesterday.

What do yall expect a coach to say, that their players can't handle this environment and they are totally screwed today?

I think we went through this with the Arkansas coach too. No coach is going to say anything other than backing up their players no matter how much they know the crowd is a factor.

txag72
AG
After yesterday's game, you say we sucked. After they lose today, coach talk.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
What's the Oregon coach supposed to say? "They are vastly superior and we have no chance", "That atmosphere was so intimidating the team to a man literally crapped their pants in fear"?

They walked 9 guys and allowed 10 runs. Not exactly a clean game pitching wise. Nothing wrong with what he said at all.
fightintxaggie10
AG
The press ask those questions to opposing coaches all the time hoping to get a response for their article saying the atmosphere was a factor or was good. If I was a visiting coach I wouldn't give them that either. It's kinda annoying actually so I get it. Also who cares.
TAMU1990
AG
Decay said:

I actually really liked his comments. During the game he was very complimentary of the environment and afterward he stuck up for his players. I know Oregon is a money school but i thought he was almost auditioning for a coaching spot

They are going to be in the big 10 which is a program killer for baseball. I'm sure he's looking to move on.
Gigemchicken90
AG
He stood and watched Braden being worked on. In my opinion, he honestly was concerned for a player with a very bright future ahead of him. I don't think anyone wants a player to go out like that.
'90
Gigemchicken90
AG
Which player did the bat flip on the walk?
'90
SchizoAg
AG
"Guys, we're a terrible team. We came with our A game, but still got our asses handed to us. The crowd probably would have beaten us singlehandedly even if A&M forfeited the game. There is absolutely nothing we could have done differently to change the outcome; nor is there any hope of winning the next game".

Probably what OP wanted coach to say...
SchizoAg
AG
austinag1997 said:

W said:

bottomline...

Which is actually not as notable as it sounds.

If you flip a coin twice, there is a 75% chance you'll get heads at least once.
fulshearAg96
AG
Coach sounds like a solid. Same with the player on the other end. Why they brought that drip in the middle to the presser beyond me
bonfarr
AG
BigSneezy said:

Just listened to Oregons coaches comments. He doesn't think the environment affected them. He said Cortez beat them but no other part of A&M really bothered them. Including the environment, crowd and heat it appears.

Oh really?

Tonight is a night game. Give them hell Ags!

Did you expect him to come out and say his guys were intimidated by the atmosphere and the Aggie lineup basically admitting he didn't have his guys prepared?
twk
AG
SchizoAg said:

"Guys, we're a terrible team. We came with our A game, but still got our asses handed to us. The crowd probably would have beaten us singlehandedly even if A&M forfeited the game. There is absolutely nothing we could have done differently to change the outcome; nor is there any hope of winning the next game".

Exactly, OP comes off a someone super sensitive looking for a slight.

If you want to hear the Oregon coach say some good things about the environment, go rewatch the game on demand and listen to his in game interview.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Damn. So many Nancy posts in this thread. Sit back, grab a beer, and enjoy your Sunday!

OP so bothered by coachspeak, it's called sports and competition
McInnis
AG
austinag1997 said:

W said:

bottomline...

Is anyone else kind of surprised it isn't higher than that?

Think about this - the winner of the first game will usually be the higher seeded team playing at home. Then, if you just toss a coin to determine the next two games, the team needing only one of the next two will advance 75% of the time. Isn't this right?
AgBQ-00
AG
Rec said:

I too am pro beav...uh yeah you were talking about osu
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
Muy
AG
SchizoAg said:

How weird and hilarious would it be if he actually said that with a straight face.
HoustonAg2106
AG
But anything other than this is disrespect to our fans and our team
trouble
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Rec said:

I too am pro beav...uh yeah you were talking about osu

No, he wasn't
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I think the OP was trying to fire us up with some bulletin board material, in case any of us were lacking motivation to post furiously on the internet today.
Jack Cheese
AG
Jugstore Cowboy said:

I think the OP was trying to fire us up with some bulletin board material, in case any of us were lacking motivation to post furiously on the internet today.

Good point. He was making sure we maintain focus. The worst thing possible would be for us fans to look ahead to the CWS.
jjksterag
They came out and gave us their best shot.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.