new ranking?

11,590 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by trouble
dabo man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First time I met Kendall was the '93 regional, and he was this little kid from Lufkin. Hard to believe how well he's done for himself.
Agryan00
dBoy99 said:

12thMan9 said:

Agryan00 said:

Conference championships dont mean that much in baseball especially with conference tournys. However given our inept ability to win anything across all sports I would like to see us take home the banner because alot of the conference really does not respect us. I hear about it every time travel for work to Charlotte. You would think we would get a little respect but we don't.

We need a sweep this weekend against Ole Miss. Just stomp them like we did Vandy. I see Tenn stumbling in Nashville this weekend 50/50 on a series loss as Vandy needs the series after getting swept and they play better at home. Arky we can take care off at our house next weekend. Kentucky is where we need help. They go to Florida this weekend which is a bit of rivalry. Time for Florida to get back on track and grab two of three. Then Kentucky finishes with Vandy where we need Vandy to make sure they don't sweep. This puts us in tie for end of season with Kentucky.

All doable which should set us up for favorable matchups in the post season.

We're not in the ACC, why do your Charlotte people care?

Maybe he meant Charlotte, Tennesse...
One would think Charlotte, NC is ACC country but its not. Just like one would think that the rest of the SEC would respect us for being competitive but they don't.
The Marksman
AG
A&M and Arkansas are the two best teams in the country and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves
trouble
AG
I met him at lunch at Chicken Oil. He's still just K's bratty little brother
powerbelly
AG
trouble said:

Because Kendall hates us
He hates everyone equally. That's what makes him so entertaining.
NewEra2023
AG
It's warranted but excessive given the fact we won the SEC tournament in '16 and 1 game shy of being season champs.
CC00
AG
Pretty amazing that TN has a worse non-conference SOS that we do.
The best team we played (non-conference, RPI) was Texas at 51.
TN loads up on those 200+ RPI mid-weeks.

No conspiracy here but you see Tennessee win mid-weeks 20-5 (Bellarmine), 20-2 (Alabama A&M), 17-2 (Eastern Kentucky) and then you see A&M & Arkansas win their mid-weeks but not by run rule.

You think they are both playing mid-week non-Power 5 teams that are in the same range but they aren't. TN has many more of the 250+ RPI teams on their schedule.
Doesn't really tank their RPI but the perception is they pound teams that are equal to team that A&M and Arkansas beat 8-3 (for example).
I didn't realize it until just now when I dug into it.

Anyway - cool story - just an observation.
They are one of probably 5 teams you can argue for #1.
Farmer1906
AG
The Marksman said:

A&M and Arkansas are the two best teams in the country and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves
I must be kidding myself then. I think Tennessee is very good and probably more deserving of a top 2 spot over Arkansas.
twk
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The Marksman said:

I must be kidding myself then. I think Tennessee is very good and probably more deserving of a top 2 spot over Arkansas.
I tend to agree. Arkansas is great o the mound but pretty pedestrian at the plate. UT is fairly well rounded.
The Marksman
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The Marksman said:

I don't think Tennessee is consistent enough to take 2 out of 3 against either us or Arkansas. They might play one really good game and beat either of us, but I can't see them winning a series.
TexAgs23

NM
Gyles Marrett
Put us, Pig, Clemson, and Vols in a pot for top 4 and draw them out. Don't really care how that order ends up as any of those we are a national seed and get to play at home to Omaha. We can and should win any of those draws we are given. When the 8 teams get to Omaha I don't remember every thinking about what was the national rankings before the post season started.
dabo man
AG
What D1Baseball thinks of us is of zero importance. We're still #1 in the RPI. And honestly, all I care about is that we're one of the top 8 teams when the committee makes their selections.

EDIT - And now this post looks weird in that the post it was a response to has been removed. Someone seemed sincerely upset that we'd moved down to #3 in Kendall's poll.
HoustonAg2106
AG
dabo man said:

What D1Baseball thinks of us is of zero importance. We're still #1 in the RPI. And honestly, all I care about is that we're one of the top 8 teams when the committee makes their selections.

D1 Baseball thinks very highly of us, but their job is to drive traffic and conversation and a shakeup in the the top 5 is the best way to do that so if the number team loses a series there will almost always be a change at the top.
Farmer1906
AG
The Marksman said:

Farmer1906 said:

The Marksman said:

I don't think Tennessee is consistent enough to take 2 out of 3 against either us or Arkansas. They might play one really good game and beat either of us, but I can't see them winning a series.
They have only lost 1 series all year and have the largest run differential in college baseball. We're 2nd.
The Marksman
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The Marksman said:

Farmer1906 said:

The Marksman said:

They have only lost 1 series all year and have the largest run differential in college baseball. We're 2nd.

I'm well aware of that. I also know they haven't faced A&M or Arkansas.
Muktheduck
dabo man said:

EDIT - And now this post looks weird in that the post it was a response to has been removed. Someone seemed sincerely upset that we'd moved down to #3 in Kendall's poll.
Funnily enough, Tennessee has more to worry about, seeing as they're #8 in RPI. The committee cares about that number far more than the one D1 chooses to assign.

As long as you're hosting that SR, 1-8 is all the same. The quality of team we'd face as a 1 seed or an 8 seed really isn't any different, and it's not any different from most of the teams we play on weekends. Go win this weekend to make sure there's a super being played in Olsen and we're good to go. I'm glad Monty's slump and the few minor injuries are happening now instead of early June.
12thMan9
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

Put us, Pig, Clemson, and Vols in a pot for top 4 and draw them out. Don't really care how that order ends up as any of those we are a national seed and get to play at home to Omaha. We can and should win any of those draws we are given. When the 8 teams get to Omaha I don't remember every thinking about what was the national rankings before the post season started.

Let's say your top 4 is correct. Who would you want to face in the finals, if we got there?

It would matter then. Who could you take in a 2 of 3 series?
Ronnie '88
Wicked Good Ag
The Marksman said:

Farmer1906 said:

The Marksman said:

Farmer1906 said:

The Marksman said:

I'm well aware of that. I also know they haven't faced A&M or Arkansas.
Neither have we...yet
TexasAGGIEinAR
12thMan9 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

Let's say your top 4 is correct. Who would you want to face in the finals, if we got there?

Give me Pig. Hagan Smith can deal better than anyone in the country, but outside of that, not very scary. Before last weekend, they were batting .238 in SEC play. That's abysmal. If Smith ever stumbles during a start, Pig is very ripe for a sweeping...especially on the road.
W
AG
Arkansas still only has 1 series win vs. a ranked team or surefire regional team (South Carolina)

with just 2 weeks to go in the season

by contrast A&M has 3 ranked series wins vs. Georgia, State, and Carolina
Gyles Marrett
12thMan9 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

The difference in that group is minimal. I'd feel confident in this team in Omaha regardless of the rest of the field.
W
AG
the Duke dilemma continues

consensus top 10 team but with an RPI #22

some regional is getting a top 10 2-seed
The Marksman
AG
W said:

Arkansas still only has 1 series win vs. a ranked team or surefire regional team (South Carolina)

Don't forget Alabama, they were ranked in the top 15 when we beat them, and Vandy, who was #6
W
AG
then Oregon State...

3rd place in the Pac-12 -- the #6 RPI conference

that doesn't look like a top 10 team -- should be dominating that league
12thMan9
AG
The Marksman said:

W said:

Don't forget Alabama, they were ranked in the top 15 when we beat them, and Vandy, who was #6

lsu was #8 when Arky swept them.
Ronnie '88
Sean98
AG
The Marksman said:

W said:

At 10-14 and 11-13 respectively in the conference, neither of those teams is a lock to make the tournament at this point. They'd better rebound, and quickly. I think both will get in but they've gotta go out and do it. Honestly I think Bama has the easier path at this point with LSU and @ Aubie. Vandy has UT at home then Kentucky on the road. I think it's entirely possible they go 1-5 down that stretch and 12-18 with a 1-5 finish and they're toast without a big Hoover run.
Sean98
AG
TexasAGGIEinAR said:

12thMan9 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

Give me Pig. Hagan Smith can deal better than anyone in the country, but outside of that, not very scary. Before last weekend, they were batting .238 in SEC play. That's abysmal. If Smith ever stumbles during a start, Pig is very ripe for a sweeping...especially on the road.
I think this is the right answer. Arkansas is the one team of those 4 that can't afford a bad start, or a bad bullpen outing. They're far less likely than any of the other 3 to bash their way to a win, or even just get lucky and run into one for a critical 2 or 3 run HR.
Sean98
AG
TexAgs23 said:

NM
I was hoping I was getting some props for my prediction.
greg.w.h
AG
Practice is practice and polls are opinions…but the two losses at Box lacked beauty. And polls are beauty pageants first and foremost…
you moran
AG
7 SEC teams in the top 14 of rpi. 5 acc teams. SEC has10 of the top 25 rpi and 11 of 26. Florida and Ole Miss in the top 25. Vandy at 26. LSU is at 34. ACC has 7 of the top 25 rpi.

So SEC and ACC have 17 of the top 25 and 18 of the top 26.
12thMan9
AG
BA has us at 2.
Ronnie '88
Sea Pony 07
AG
I wasn't surprised that we dropped in the polls. Totally fine with it, it's better to avoid the curse.
Wooahhhh
AG
that was by the 2nd inning
W
AG
Muktheduck said:

As long as you're hosting that SR, 1-8 is all the same. The quality of team we'd face as a 1 seed or an 8 seed really isn't any different, and it's not any different from most of the teams we play on weekends. Go win this weekend to make sure there's a super being played in Olsen and we're good to go. I'm glad Monty's slump and the few minor injuries are happening now instead of early June.
kind of yes and no

there is a theory that the committee will protect the #1 and #2 overall seeds with soft or softer regionals

for example, last year...Wake Forest was the #1 overall seed. Clemson was the #4 overall seed.

Tennessee was a 2-seed and a perfect geographic fit for Wake. But Wake got mid-major Maryland as its 2-seed instead. And mid-major Northeastern as its 3-seed. That's a soft regional.

while Clemson got Tennessee as its 2 seed...and the Vols swept thru the regional
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.