*** 2024 Aggie Softball Season Thread ***

354,414 Views | 3924 Replies | Last: 23 hrs ago by Positivelyag512
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Positivelyag512 said:

Unless we all pay and give her and her family more money, it's possible. Trust me, it's a bidding war between us, Tu. Blowu, Tennessee, Mizzu, FL, and Bama
Pretty sure this comes down to the sips or OU, with OU being a huge favorite.
Rongagin71
AG
So, I understand that the player now has insurance coverage in case injury prevents performance, but what about the school and its donors? Any coverage?
MSTC Man
AG
Missed her. I was hoping since she had Aggie family.
cevans_40
AG
Rongagin71 said:

So, I understand that the player now has insurance coverage in case injury prevents performance, but what about the school and its donors? Any coverage?

Nothing. One year lease with no insurance. Crazy when you think about it that way.
Astroag
AG
MSTC Man said:

That feels like a big miss but Ford and co has earned more than a little trust so I'll wait to pass judgement
Positivelyag512
Astroag said:

MSTC Man said:

That feels like a big miss but Ford and co has earned more than a little trust so I'll wait to pass judgement

I'll take our pitching over theirs and they'll be in Davis. Next year, can't wait to BURY THEM
sharpdressedman
Very likely the highest bidder won. Cash has always been king.
Ag4eva95
Plus, we have some very talented underclassmen returning and incoming. I don't think we need as many plug and play players as we thought. Catching is probably my biggest concern, if we can find a proven leader there. Other than that, we will be a talented team with some identity to discover
frankie00
Only two options at catcher. If incoming Freshman DeeDee's performance this Fall and early next year is anything like high school she might be a starting Freshman. She was a power hitter on a 5A team with a great BA and we DO have to replace a lot of power.

More options replacing Rylen and Jaz. Perhaps Reagan and Hailey will fit right in or perhaps Coach will reach into her Freshman bag again for one or both - some good gloves and bats coming in at IF. I think Coach moved Scout from IF to OF so that's an unknown.

Kelsey is also a power hitter. I do not have 2024 numbers for Harley but she was team offensive MVP at least twice.

On paper we have an excellent Freshman class coming in. How it goes no one knows but I have confidence.

Barbara will probably slot right in to replace Trinity. Replaces the position and the power.

I can spend hours on the pitching staff because of having eight (wow!) but will spare you.

I wonder how many players show up early this summer to work out. Recall Coach talking about how Allie put in so much work last summer. It really showed in non-conference although it dropped off in conference play. But the other players saw what happened with her BA over the summer so ...!

Fall is still a bit away and it will tell the tale. Really looking forward to it!
fitzwatema
AG
Great information! I hope that all the players show up this summer to work out and start the all important team building. Really looking forward to next year.
Positivelyag512
frankie00 said:

Only two options at catcher. If incoming Freshman DeeDee's performance this Fall and early next year is anything like high school she might be a starting Freshman. She was a power hitter on a 5A team with a great BA and we DO have to replace a lot of power.

More options replacing Rylen and Jaz. Perhaps Reagan and Hailey will fit right in or perhaps Coach will reach into her Freshman bag again for one or both - some good gloves and bats coming in at IF. I think Coach moved Scout from IF to OF so that's an unknown.

Kelsey is also a power hitter. I do not have 2024 numbers for Harley but she was team offensive MVP at least twice.

On paper we have an excellent Freshman class coming in. How it goes no one knows but I have confidence.

Barbara will probably slot right in to replace Trinity. Replaces the position and the power.

I can spend hours on the pitching staff because of having eight (wow!) but will spare you.

I wonder how many players show up early this summer to work out. Recall Coach talking about how Allie put in so much work last summer. It really showed in non-conference although it dropped off in conference play. But the other players saw what happened with her BA over the summer so ...!

Fall is still a bit away and it will tell the tale. Really looking forward to it!

Guys KK out of Cali will replace Ry, She absolutely going to be a stud

Amari is a wild card kid who can play ANYWHERE and will be healthier
Astroag
AG
If you are expecting multiple freshmen to come in and play significant time and make a deep run, I think you are misguided…it's great to build talented depth but you need proven production. And leadership.

LB12Diamond
AG
Astroag said:

If you are expecting multiple freshmen to come in and play significant time and make a deep run, I think you are misguided…it's great to build talented depth but you need proven production. And leadership.

Gavin and Sorrell state otherwise.
Astroag
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Astroag said:

Gavin and Sorrell state otherwise.

lol…fair enough but Baseball replaced most of their production from last year with Burton, Schott, Appel, Camarillo, monte and Jace returned.

Pitching I think we'll be fine w Kennedy and the fish but the offense is where I'm looking for answers

Ag4eva95
This is my concern too, but it's just unproven talent. Talented freshmen plus girls who have a year under their belt. They brought in the MWC POY, so that will help. Return 2/3 out fielders, 3rd, SS, and 1st(Harper). If we can return Keely Williams to form, that means we need a 2nd basemen and a catcher. This team is still very stacked
LB12Diamond
AG
I think freshman position players can definitely have a big role.

Experienced pitching though is preferred.
PlanoGuy
nereus said:

aginlakeway said:

HeyAbbott said:

This is the biggest advantage by far in college athletics and it needs to change. OU never has to leave its hometown area for the entire NCAA tournament and gets to utilize all of those advantages in recruiting and selling their program.

Is there another stadium that could host it? I don't think there's any stadium close in size. And they spend a ton of money to get to host. No one else is going to do that.
That stadium is awesome for softball and there isn't a good alternative. Off topic, but I wish they would host the softball tournament at the 2028 Olympics in OKC. I know it won't happen and they will be playing somewhere in LA as the host city (does anyone know where yet?), but they have had other offsite locations for other sports before and OKC isn't ever going to host the entire Olympics.

Watching Olympic softball last Olympics right after watching the WCWS that year was such a stark contrast in atmosphere. They had some COVID issues as well that year, but it would be such a better atmosphere/product for in person and TV if they did it in OKC.

We had in in 2020, not this year, and back in 2028. Decent chance it stays for 2032 with it being in Australia but I haven't hear anything official. Need to put on a good show for it to have a chance to become a core sport again and OKC is the best place for that to happen.

I bet Japan is PISSED at the home field advantage that the OU players will have!
"F PlanoGuy!!" - Billy Liucci's TexAgs Premium Forum
Belton Ag
AG
Astroag said:

I would be concerned if we had to replace half our roster with freshman. But here we're talking about 2nd base and catcher. In the case of 2nd base, Harper has a ton of experience playing there and I expect her to slide back over if someone else can't fill Wiggins' shoes. I thought Harper had a better season as a freshman 2nd baseman anyway.

Catcher is a concern. Replacing Julia won't be easy. If the staff expects Coleman to be that replacement I hope like heck she sticks like glue to Kennedy this summer.

Bottom line is we're in nowhere near the same position we were in at the end of last season when it comes to the portal. We don't need that many pieces other than pitchers. This gal that bailed on OU wouldn't have been the difference between making a deep run or not.

Edit: I see you're talking about offense. The biggest pieces to replace are Hill, Cotrill and Cannon. Damn and now I have to run to get to an appt.
Astroag
AG
Belton Ag said:

Astroag said:

I would be concerned if we had to replace half our roster with freshman. But here we're talking about 2nd base and catcher. In the case of 2nd base, Harper has a ton of experience playing there and I expect her to slide back over if someone else can't fill Wiggins' shoes. I thought Harper had a better season as a freshman 2nd baseman anyway.

Catcher is a concern. Replacing Julia won't be easy. If the staff expects Coleman to be that replacement I hope like heck she sticks like glue to Kennedy this summer.

Bottom line is we're in nowhere near the same position we were in at the end of last season when it comes to the portal. We don't need that many pieces other than pitchers. This gal that bailed on OU wouldn't have been the difference between making a deep run or not.

Who is going to replace jazz hill, trinity cannon, and Julia cottrills offense?

That's the question… period

Those are our 3 leaders in runs and rbi if I recall

I'm not worried about the defensive side of things…freshmen can be excellent fielders but you don't see freshmen come in and hit a ton unless they are top level national recruits…
Boozer92
AG
Astroag said:

Look at all the Freshman that Florida played this year. They were pretty successful. I hope we see an another experienced bat transfer in but other teams have had success if it is the right freshman
Ag4eva95
Which some of these girls are. You also have to account for who has sat the bench behind these seniors. Ford is creating a pipeline and game plan for developing players. It's going to be different, but someone will step up and fill the shoes.
MSTC Man
AG
I know we have a freshman catcher coming in. I bet we add a transfer catcher soon.
BiochemAg97
AG
Astroag said:

Belton Ag said:

Astroag said:

I'm not worried about the defensive side of things…freshmen can be excellent fielders but you don't see freshmen come in and hit a ton unless they are top level national recruits…

I'm hopeful Mya at DP can step up and replace Cannon's power. Trish seems to have a lot of confidence in her and said she has been a slugger at every level. Hopefully the HR at tu is the first of many more.

Maybe the solution to replace Jazz and Julia's production is continued growth and improvement by the other returning starters (someone steps up into those leading roles) and bringing in some of the bench or freshman to fill out the lineup. Optimistic, but not insane.

That said, adding some proven production in the portal is always nice.
hipnix
BiochemAg97 said:

Astroag said:

Belton Ag said:

Astroag said:

I'm hopeful Mya at DP can step up and replace Cannon's power. Trish seems to have a lot of confidence in her and said she has been a slugger at every level. Hopefully the HR at tu is the first of many more.

Maybe the solution to replace Jazz and Julia's production is continued growth and improvement by the other returning starters (someone steps up into those leading roles) and bringing in some of the bench or freshman to fill out the lineup. Optimistic, but not insane.

That said, adding some proven production in the portal is always nice.
They got Mac Barbara out of the Portal. She hit .380 with 14 HRs.
Belton Ag
AG
Mac Barbara has proven to be much more of an offensive player than Avery Hodge. And they're not done with the portal either.

It's not like the staff is relying on inexperienced freshmen to replace these players.
frankie00
I mentioned a few Freshman and others followed with several comments. I like the old finance thing of 'past performance does not guarantee future returns'.

Same can be said of transfers. Great example: Brooke was good enough to be signed by OU but did not do too well in college, at three different schools with three different coaching staffs. Some great innings but inconsistent. But then you have players like Jaz. A transfer that worked out really, really well.

Great high school players can be great college players. Or they can be average college players. Or they can be less than average. Lots of variables.

Coach Ford has brought in a huge Freshman class. Part of building her team, bringing in players to play her style of ball. Usually ten is far too many in one year but it is only her second class and she wants plenty to pick from. I think Coach likes to 'season' her new recruits. Playing on her 'special teams' for a year at least. Has to be a really special player to start as a Freshman. But she is not shy about trying them out early and is willing to give them a shot - Maya is a good example.

And several transfers. Half the team new this past year and next year. All part of the process of building her team. That team in Norman is well known for their development program (and buying really, really good players!) and I think Coach has a pretty good chance of doing something similar in Aggieland. We'll see next year but a great tell will be in a few years once she has had a chance to bring in a couple more recruiting classes, of players she wants. But getting them to buy in to her system and program is the key - want to try to limit good players from leaving after a year or two to get more playing time. I like to look back at Baylee Klingler. Daughter of famous Houston QB. One year in College Station then went on to become a huge star at Washington and currently on the National Team. What a loss.

Leaders - Lefty is the obvious 'boss' of the team. Koko is Koko. Amari is quiet but a great player and person. She is one of my favorite players. Not loud, not flashy but just gets the job down. All three have been there their whole careers. A huge plus. But Jaz was a transfer and there for only one year but she was an outspoken leader so others can obviously come forward.

We lost about 75% of our hits, runs, RBI's and HR's from graduating starters.

I think Amari has a very good chance at the 2B position. A proven player. There are several infielders who are all gunning for that position. In my earlier post on this I mentioned the Sophomore and Freshmen - I was not discounting Amari. I am sure it will be a very spirited competition - and competition makes everyone better.

Gracyn did not get a lot of playing time and had few hits when she did. But good defensive catcher. I do not know DeeDee but if she plays anywhere like high school she might slot in behind the plate. Recall, though, the second sentence of this post about past performance not guaranteeing future returns! Another spirited competition. And I agree with another person on another catcher - I think Coach will probably draft one the end of this year for the 2026 season OR might even grab one in the Fall from the transfer portal. Depends on how Fall practice goes. But I think DeeDee will make the cut. Going out on a limb ... but that's the way I ride!

Hard to replace Jaz. What an arm! And she had only one error all year. Yes, Keely is in the running. Five trying for the slot. Obiously, whoever has the best defense/offense combination will get the nod. Keely's season BA was pretty low so a player with a really good bat and similar arm and glove will slot in. Might be a freshman. Might be Golden or Scout. If a Freshman, the numbers point toward Kelsey. Gosh, there I go again ... out on a limb!

As mentioned previously, Barbara was signed to replace Trinity.

Maya had a lot of looks last year, with 11 starts and 42 AB's. Coaching staff is really high on her, publicly stating that she has been successful at all levels of her career. But only 9 hits. I sure do hope the awesome HR in Austin gives her a ton of confidence and it carries over to next season. We'll see!

Seven pitchers to go with Lefty (barring any transfers or redshirts, of course). If only one of them is as good or better than Lefty we will be a lot better off next year on the mound. If two of them are as good or better we will be in great shape on the mound. And still have several left over. Pretty darn good odds! We will find out early next season when we play in the usual tournaments with five games each long weekend! I still think two Freshman pitchers might be redshirted. If so, I hope they knew that before they signed. But I think it would be best long term if two do.

I think there will be one or two Freshmen starting next year. Wrong or right, we have a lot of talent. Great coaching and support staff. The 12th Man. I see great things in the future!
Astroag
AG
frankie00 said:

I mentioned a few Freshman and others followed with several comments. I like the old finance thing of 'past performance does not guarantee future returns'.

Same can be said of transfers. Great example: Brooke was good enough to be signed by OU but did not do too well in college, at three different schools with three different coaching staffs. Some great innings but inconsistent. But then you have players like Jaz. A transfer that worked out really, really well.

Great high school players can be great college players. Or they can be average college players. Or they can be less than average. Lots of variables.

Coach Ford has brought in a huge Freshman class. Part of building her team, bringing in players to play her style of ball. Usually ten is far too many in one year but it is only her second class and she wants plenty to pick from. I think Coach likes to 'season' her new recruits. Playing on her 'special teams' for a year at least. Has to be a really special player to start as a Freshman. But she is not shy about trying them out early and is willing to give them a shot - Maya is a good example.

And several transfers. Half the team new this past year and next year. All part of the process of building her team. That team in Norman is well known for their development program (and buying really, really good players!) and I think Coach has a pretty good chance of doing something similar in Aggieland. We'll see next year but a great tell will be in a few years once she has had a chance to bring in a couple more recruiting classes, of players she wants. But getting them to buy in to her system and program is the key - want to try to limit good players from leaving after a year or two to get more playing time. I like to look back at Baylee Klingler. Daughter of famous Houston QB. One year in College Station then went on to become a huge star at Washington and currently on the National Team. What a loss.

Leaders - Lefty is the obvious 'boss' of the team. Koko is Koko. Amari is quiet but a great player and person. She is one of my favorite players. Not loud, not flashy but just gets the job down. All three have been there their whole careers. A huge plus. But Jaz was a transfer and there for only one year but she was an outspoken leader so others can obviously come forward.

We lost about 75% of our hits, runs, RBI's and HR's from graduating starters.

I think Amari has a very good chance at the 2B position. A proven player. There are several infielders who are all gunning for that position. In my earlier post on this I mentioned the Sophomore and Freshmen - I was not discounting Amari. I am sure it will be a very spirited competition - and competition makes everyone better.

Gracyn did not get a lot of playing time and had few hits when she did. But good defensive catcher. I do not know DeeDee but if she plays anywhere like high school she might slot in behind the plate. Recall, though, the second sentence of this post about past performance not guaranteeing future returns! Another spirited competition. And I agree with another person on another catcher - I think Coach will probably draft one the end of this year for the 2026 season OR might even grab one in the Fall from the transfer portal. Depends on how Fall practice goes. But I think DeeDee will make the cut. Going out on a limb ... but that's the way I ride!

Hard to replace Jaz. What an arm! And she had only one error all year. Yes, Keely is in the running. Five trying for the slot. Obiously, whoever has the best defense/offense combination will get the nod. Keely's season BA was pretty low so a player with a really good bat and similar arm and glove will slot in. Might be a freshman. Might be Golden or Scout. If a Freshman, the numbers point toward Kelsey. Gosh, there I go again ... out on a limb!

As mentioned previously, Barbara was signed to replace Trinity.

Maya had a lot of looks last year, with 11 starts and 42 AB's. Coaching staff is really high on her, publicly stating that she has been successful at all levels of her career. But only 9 hits. I sure do hope the awesome HR in Austin gives her a ton of confidence and it carries over to next season. We'll see!

Seven pitchers to go with Lefty (barring any transfers or redshirts, of course). If only one of them is as good or better than Lefty we will be a lot better off next year on the mound. If two of them are as good or better we will be in great shape on the mound. And still have several left over. Pretty darn good odds! We will find out early next season when we play in the usual tournaments with five games each long weekend! I still think two Freshman pitchers might be redshirted. If so, I hope they knew that before they signed. But I think it would be best long term if two do.

I think there will be one or two Freshmen starting next year. Wrong or right, we have a lot of talent. Great coaching and support staff. The 12th Man. I see great things in the future!

WTLDR; of course past performance doesn't mean future success but if they've done it at a high level already the odds are better that they can do it here without much learning curve vs coming from high school.
LB12Diamond
AG
Appears we might have a commitment. Anyone in the know?
frankie00
Transfer portal questions:

I have read that the last day a player can enter the transfer portal for this cycle was June 17 but what is the last day a coach can grab a player from the portal?

Does anyone know of a free site that lists all players in the portal, what teams they signed with, etc.? I have seen a few sites but they all require a subscription and I go with free any time I can.

Any word on Canady? Curious about what team will come up with the money to sign her.

Thanks.
BiochemAg97
AG
frankie00 said:

Transfer portal questions:

I have read that the last day a player can enter the transfer portal for this cycle was June 17 but what is the last day a coach can grab a player from the portal?

Does anyone know of a free site that lists all players in the portal, what teams they signed with, etc.? I have seen a few sites but they all require a subscription and I go with free any time I can.

Any word on Canady? Curious about what team will come up with the money to sign her.

Thanks.

NCAA says softball window is June 17. Thus last day to enter is July 17. It is just an enter date. Coaches can pull people out of the portal whenever, but as a practical matter, you would want them enrolled in the fall, so last day would be last day for add/drop, which is a week or so after fall classes start. Most good players will likely find a landing spot in time for summer enrollment taking some summer classes is good for academic progress requirement.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Transfer/DIUG_Windows.pdf
frankie00
Thanks for confirming the June 17 player enter portal deadline. I did not know coming out of the portal was so open-ended. Agree that better before fall semester starts. And good to start early summer, in time for summer classes. If I were a student athlete I would want to take the minimum load (used to be at least 12 hours to be full time student) the semester I played games and make up those hours over the summer. For those who stay on campus over the summer to work out might as well take a few classes while doing so.
Cole9335
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Miyhia Davis from ULL is my prediction, she would be perfect to replace jazz in center. One of the fastest in the country, had 52 swiped bags as a fresh, hit .419 this past year
Positivelyag512
Cole9335 said:

LB12Diamond said:

Miyhia Davis from ULL is my prediction, she would be perfect to replace jazz in center. One of the fastest in the country, had 52 swiped bags as a fresh, hit .419 this past year

WOULD LOVE THIS
fitzwatema
AG
That would be a fantastic addition.
SeenNotHeard
AG
Keely Williams to Texas St.
First Page
Page 112 of 113

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.