Schloss on Olsen Expansion

40,904 Views | 203 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by trouble
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"I doubt the lower deck gets much in the way of changes to how it is configured with this remodel."

Really? Easiest thing to do to increase premium seating would be to expand the club seating a couple sections either side on the lower deck. That would eliminate sections of reserved non-club season tickets on the lower deck and force reseating of at least those sections.
twk
AG
LOYAL AG said:

KaneIsAble said:

They are going to reseat the place too like Kyle once it's all said and done. It's my understanding that I will have the ability to keep my seats but only if I pay the difference to catch up in points to secure them.

Not cool - I love my seats.

They haven't said this yet to my knowledge. The reseating of Kyle was "justified" because the original seating was torn down. They reseated Olsen in 2012 and again argued that they had materially changed the configuration which was kind of true given they added the club and created a Row 1 in sections behind the dugouts. I doubt the lower deck gets much in the way of changes to how it is configured with this remodel.

They've used Hop as a sounding board of sorts and he has told them they're going to lose season ticket holders in the lower deck if those seats become tied to football priority points and they force long time ticket holders out over money. Big donors in Dallas/Houston will buy those seats and never use them which will kill the environment. For me all I've asked for is a legit opportunity to buy my seats where I've been for 30 years almost. If they double the price I'll consider that even knowing they just doubled it in 2023. If they give me a $20k+ bill just to buy priority points then double them I'll just check out and go join Kman at Messina Hof.

Baseball isn't football and tying the two together and telling the locals who have been there forever that their commitment to baseball doesn't matter anymore would be a poor decision. My 25 and 22 yo kids joke about wanting me to leave them my tickets in my will and I find myself wondering if A&M is going to run me off for more money long before that day comes. We'll see.
I hope they do it the way you suggest, as I love my seats (been in the same seats, more or less, for 35 years) and my neighbors, so it would be nice to have the opportunity to keep both.

They are aware of the problem that would be posed by doing a Kyle Field style priority points free for all, which, as you say, would result in a bunch of high priority point folks from out of town acquiring all the seats and running off season ticket holders who bought seats for decades without getting any priority point credit for their support.

The problem is that while they will add new seating, including new premium seating, they have to have something good enough to entice donors to the renovation project to write big checks. If someone has $1 million to donate to the project and tells the TMF, "All I want is 2 club seats," right now, the TMF would have to say, sorry, you'll have to wait for someone to die. Will these folks make that kind of donation for premium seating down the 3rd base line? That's the real question. If so, then they could probably rely upon a combination of new seating and further raising ticket prices (or more likely, requiring capital contributions like they did with Kyle Field) in order to shake loose a few seats in choice areas.

But, I sort of suspect that they will do some kind of reseating, as this would make fundraising much easier for new donors and folks who have tickets, but aren't satisfied with what they have (the folks who have priority points, and have bought singles anywhere just to get in the park).

If I was put in charge of that task, what I would do is figure out how many new seats we will have that can be sold as season tickets, then allow anyone who has donated a certain figure to the project to be allocated a corresponding number of unassigned seats (probably limited to 4), then, if you have any left over, we go through the folks who have been through the ticket selection process the last several years and not gotten a seat, then if you still have some left, open it up to priority points. These people would be added to the current season ticket holder base, and that would be your pool for seat selection. Everyone who has a seat now would be guaranteed to have one after the reseating, but they would do the reseating of the entire stadium by priority points.

I don't know whether I would still be able to get tickets in the lower bowl if we did that, but, if they do a priority points reseating, that's probably the fairest way to do it. I would prefer that they just up the ante and see if that shakes enough seats loose, but I fear that there are too many folks wanting in to prime seats for them to do that.

src94
AG
I'm in the same boat. I've had my seats for nearly 20 yrs and will certainly be displaced if thy reseat based on PP. I attend 94%+ games every year and give my seats to my neighbors when I can't make it. And I get seats from them when I need extras and they can't make it to games. We have a great section of fans/friends.
src94
Sean98
AG
src94 said:

I'm in the same boat. I've had my seats for nearly 20 yrs and will certainly be displaced if thy reseat based on PP. I attend 94%+ games every year and give my seats to my neighbors when I can't make it. And I get seats from them when I need extras and they can't make it to games. We have a great section of fans/friends.
I know this sucks but no matter what happens you're going to be next to Aggies. Aggies that love baseball. The crew that you've gotten to know and grown to appreciate used to be strangers to you at one point as well.
Farmer1906
AG
Anyone seen any renovation plans yet?
LOYAL AG
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

"I doubt the lower deck gets much in the way of changes to how it is configured with this remodel."

Really? Easiest thing to do to increase premium seating would be to expand the club seating a couple sections either side on the lower deck. That would eliminate sections of reserved non-club season tickets on the lower deck and force reseating of at least those sections.

Yeah that's a good point and you may be right. I'm probably a bit emotionally attached to this more than I should be while for them it's purely a business decision. Hell they ran off Kman over seats so clearly none of us really matters much to them.

Still if they converted my section to club and offered them to me at that price I can make a decision at that time. My concern is the need to buy a ton of priority points just to have the right to do that. Baseball has never been tied to priority points so using this to force us to catch up just seems inappropriate.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
A-A Ron
This is probably a stupid question but I am going to ask it anyway as I am not a season ticket holder in any sport because I don't live close enough to CS. Why are priority points combined across all sports instead of per sport? I am not saying anyone does this but it's possible that you have someone buy baseball season tickets only to up their PP to better their football tickets and never think about using the baseball tickets. I know the TMF only cares as long as all season ticket allotments are sold because they got the money for them, it just seems that if someone is doing that you are keeping people that are on the waiting list for baseball from being able to get season tickets to seats that are going unused.
RED AG 98
AG
Kendall posted that the new renderings are pretty spectacular (or similar adjective), but I've not seen details anywhere.
twk
AG
A-A Ron said:

This is probably a stupid question but I am going to ask it anyway as I am not a season ticket holder in any sport because I don't live close enough to CS. Why are priority points combined across all sports instead of per sport? I am not saying anyone does this but it's possible that you have someone buy baseball season tickets only to up their PP to better their football tickets and never think about using the baseball tickets. I know the TMF only cares as long as all season ticket allotments are sold because they got the money for them, it just seems that if someone is doing that you are keeping people that are on the waiting list for baseball from being able to get season tickets to seats that are going unused.
No one buys baseball tickets to increase their priority points. Baseball tickets only get half the priority points that football and basketball tickets get.

But, you do ask a valid question, and the simple answer is that, when they set up the priority points system, no one figured it would be terribly meaningful outside football, which is the revenue driver for all sports. There weren't many folks who thought that baseball tickets some day might be a scarce commodity.
trouble
AG
Not baseball but they do buy softball, volleyball, soccer, women's basketball to increase PP
greg.w.h
AG
trouble said:

Not baseball but they do buy softball, volleyball, soccer, women's basketball to increase PP
If there is a game to be played…people will play it…
BiochemAg97
AG
LOYAL AG said:

BiochemAg97 said:

Yeah that's a good point and you may be right. I'm probably a bit emotionally attached to this more than I should be while for them it's purely a business decision. Hell they ran off Kman over seats so clearly none of us really matters much to them.

Still if they converted my section to club and offered them to me at that price I can make a decision at that time. My concern is the need to buy a ton of priority points just to have the right to do that. Baseball has never been tied to priority points so using this to force us to catch up just seems inappropriate.

Pretty sure getting seats in the current stadium for those of us who don't have them yet has been tied to priority points for years.

That said, I agree that years of loyalty to baseball should count for something.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
I'm done buying football season tickets in any form. The game/sport has just morphed into something entirely different and far less special (for me anyway).

I'm strongly considering buying baseball season tix going forward. What are the price packages (ballpark, no pun intended) for an average Joe? I'm not gonna be getting suites or right behind home plate.

Yes I know I can contact the 12th Man but I don't want to get hounded about it after I call. Just hoping to get a feel from those of you that already partake.

Thanks!
OilAg01
AG
src94 said:

It's a tough predicament no doubt. I wish they could figure out a system where people could have season tickets but maybe they get half or a third of the weekend games. Maybe sell a Tuesday season ticket package, too. They could probably optimize revenue with attendance.

College Baseball is generally a local sport and that needs to be preserved to the extent possible. But we also have to raise 80 million.
trouble
AG
There's a thread with this year's price somewhere. Likely doesn't matter though because it's damn hard to get in and it'll all be different once the renovation is done and seats are available.
greg.w.h
AG
Paying for stadium expansions is necessary to fund the expectations for the program that are often shared here. Building under the current seating with suites and clubs can help with the stadium revenue and could make the seating follow a more orderly pattern. As I've repeatedly noted, in the past our former students / fans sometimes preferred economy to better accommodations. The only failure of the BBP face lift and seat decrease was a non-plan to expand reasonably as crowds grew. This is a serious commitment both to Schloss AND the fan base to correct that failing. One hopes it does and adds to the fun with more fan butts in seats.
LOYAL AG
AG
$240 Worth of Pudding said:

I'm done buying football season tickets in any form. The game/sport has just morphed into something entirely different and far less special (for me anyway).

I'm strongly considering buying baseball season tix going forward. What are the price packages (ballpark, no pun intended) for an average Joe? I'm not gonna be getting suites or right behind home plate.

Yes I know I can contact the 12th Man but I don't want to get hounded about it after I call. Just hoping to get a feel from those of you that already partake.

Thanks!

I'm in 103. Seats are $420 with a $450 donation. 102 is $420/$300. I think upstairs was $350/$1xx this year.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
threeanout
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

LOYAL AG said:

BiochemAg97 said:

Pretty sure getting seats in the current stadium for those of us who don't have them yet has been tied to priority points for years.

That said, I agree that years of loyalty to baseball should count for something.
I am pretty sure you are correct. There may be a waiting list for baseball season tickets, but every year the selection process for the limited amount of seats that become available is based off of priority points not how long you have been on the waiting list.
threeanout
AG
LOYAL AG said:

Thanks!

I'm in 103. Seats are $420 with a $450 donation. 102 is $420/$300. I think upstairs was $350/$1xx this year.
You could literally sell your Arkansas tickets on Seat Geek and recoup your investment for the entire season.

I think the price per ticket will go up rather substantially after the renovation is complete.
greg.w.h
AG
threeanout said:

I think the price per ticket will go up rather substantially after the renovation is complete.
There will be more seating and it could be functionally equivalent but cannot come with the memories and relationships the current seat has.

The problem with the point model is that it is impossible when you choose not to rebuild the venue to do a reseating and poorly received if the venue is rebuilt at the current location.

The pro equivalent to priority points is a personal seat license. But the license is usually tradable/sellable and that would not be well received either…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_seat_license

BiochemAg97
AG
LOYAL AG said:

Thanks!

Will be interesting to see how they price "cheap seats" in the new park. Cheap seats for football are $525 + $50 donation. Upstairs for baseball is almost $500.

Even though baseball has a lot more games, baseball season tickets for more than football season tickets could be a hard sell. Just thinking there isn't much room to increase prices without adding a significantly less expensive entry level option, maybe the outfield seating.
Farmer1906
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

LOYAL AG said:

Thanks!

Will be interesting to see how they price "cheap seats" in the new park. Cheap seats for football are $525 + $50 donation. Upstairs for baseball is almost $500.

Even though baseball has a lot more games, baseball season tickets for more than football season tickets could be a hard sell. Just thinking there isn't much room to increase prices without adding a significantly less expensive entry level option, maybe the outfield seating.
I would expect that is the plan. How many physical seats do we even have more? 3-4k? I would think we could support 6-7K between season ticket holders and general demand to goto a game and not sit on grass.
OilAg01
AG
10-11k for the big games doesn't seem unreasonable. If schloss keeps putting together good teams, he'll keep it pretty full.

Not sure we can match LSU from an attendance standpoint given the size of Baton Rouge and their history. But we should be top 3.
dabo man
AG
I think we have enough former students in Houston/Dallas/Austin/San Antonio to buy up any available seats in a 12K seat Olsen Field. Doesn't mean they'll be full for games, but watch an LSU game, there are plenty of empty seats.
Farmer1906
AG
OilAg01 said:

10-11k for the big games doesn't seem unreasonable. If schloss keeps putting together good teams, he'll keep it pretty full.

Not sure we can match LSU from an attendance standpoint given the size of Baton Rouge and their history. But we should be top 3.
I think most college stadiums can flex up and down. I was speaking more about physical seats that can be sold and not SRO, GA, Berns, etc. I don't think we want/need 10-11k in actual seats.
cajunaggie08
AG
LSU baseball IS the pro-baseball team in their state and region. As much as we're filling up our stadium now, it would be foolish to go as large as Alex Box.
BQ_90
AG
dabo man said:

I think we have enough former students in Houston/Dallas/Austin/San Antonio to buy up any available seats in a 12K seat Olsen Field. Doesn't mean they'll be full for games, but watch an LSU game, there are plenty of empty seats.
its really a matter of selling seats, its a matter of limited space to expand seating. That will dictate size more than how many season tickets they can sell
twk
AG
The original Olsen Field grandstand had 5053 seats. In the renovation, we probably lost about 800 and gained about 200, so I'm going to say that we've got about 4400 real seats. I've heard different things about what they are going to do, but it does seem that the focus on adding seats for season ticket sales will be down the 3rd base line (where there is shade), and not down the first base line (where the sun angle is awful in May and June). We only have 3000 or so seats available for sale as season tickets at the moment (we have about 400 for comps and around 1000 GA).

Wild ass guess, but I could see us adding 1500 more season ticket seats down the 3rd base line (including premium), 2500 GA seats (some in the outfield, and maybe including replacing the first base berm), and maybe some berm seats in the outfield, plus SRO. That would be less than 9000 actual seats, but you could see crowds approaching 11,000 with SRO and berms.
BiochemAg97
AG
twk said:

The original Olsen Field grandstand had 5053 seats. In the renovation, we probably lost about 800 and gained about 200, so I'm going to say that we've got about 4400 real seats. I've heard different things about what they are going to do, but it does seem that the focus on adding seats for season ticket sales will be down the 3rd base line (where there is shade), and not down the first base line (where the sun angle is awful in May and June). We only have 3000 or so seats available for sale as season tickets at the moment (we have about 400 for comps and around 1000 GA).

Wild ass guess, but I could see us adding 1500 more season ticket seats down the 3rd base line (including premium), 2500 GA seats (some in the outfield, and maybe including replacing the first base berm), and maybe some berm seats in the outfield, plus SRO. That would be less than 9000 actual seats, but you could see crowds approaching 11,000 with SRO and berms.

I'd say double the season ticket availability, but that is mostly me wanting to make sure I can get some. I'm sure TMF has the data to get a better estimate of season ticket demand.

That said, you can solve the problem of lowballing the available season tickets by converting a section of the GA seating to season ticket seating/reserved seating as demand grows. Or have an option to buy GA season ticket as an entry point for new season ticket holders once you exhaust the reserve seating.
twk
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

twk said:

I'd say double the season ticket availability, but that is mostly me wanting to make sure I can get some. I'm sure TMF has the data to get a better estimate of season ticket demand.

That said, you can solve the problem of lowballing the available season tickets by converting a section of the GA seating to season ticket seating/reserved seating as demand grows. Or have an option to buy GA season ticket as an entry point for new season ticket holders once you exhaust the reserve seating.
I'm curious to see what they do down the first base line. Lots of folks here hate the berm, but, I would hate to have a fixed seat way down the in corner, with a terrible angle back to the plate, looking directly into the sun for 90 minutes or more at the start of a regional night game. If I was trying to add reserved seats down the first base line, I'd build an upper deck over and behind the berm like you see in LF at Dell Diamond. Because the seats would be back, the angle back to the plate would not be as severe, and looking down on the field would be easier than looking straight into the sun. You might be able to sell that kind of seating (the upper deck I describe) as season tickets, but if you just put bleachers in place of the berm, those seats will suck, big time. Ask anyone that has sat in the player comps at Baton Rouge or Fayetteville what it's like to try to watch a 3 game series at that angle, and that's without the terrible sun problem we have because of the unusual angle of our field.
LOYAL AG
AG
threeanout said:

LOYAL AG said:

Thanks!

You could literally sell your Arkansas tickets on Seat Geek and recoup your investment for the entire season.

I think seats like mine will go up but as recently as March people were saying there was no after market demand for tickets to games against nobody. Arkansas is the Bama football game. You can make a killing if you wanted to on a few specific games but the vast majority have little demand.
Farmer1906
AG
twk said:

BiochemAg97 said:

twk said:

I'm curious to see what they do down the first base line. Lots of folks here hate the berm, but, I would hate to have a fixed seat way down the in corner, with a terrible angle back to the plate, looking directly into the sun for 90 minutes or more at the start of a regional night game. If I was trying to add reserved seats down the first base line, I'd build an upper deck over and behind the berm like you see in LF at Dell Diamond. Because the seats would be back, the angle back to the plate would not be as severe, and looking down on the field would be easier than looking straight into the sun. You might be able to sell that kind of seating (the upper deck I describe) as season tickets, but if you just put bleachers in place of the berm, those seats will suck, big time. Ask anyone that has sat in the player comps at Baton Rouge or Fayetteville what it's like to try to watch a 3 game series at that angle, and that's without the terrible sun problem we have because of the unusual angle of our field.
Yes, I would hope we're smart enough not to build beats pointing to CF and not the INF.

Founders does it right.

O'Brate does it half right. (RF is questionable)

Duty Noble uses the Berms and SRO

Baum is exactly wrong.

In the previous plans, one side is berms and the other is done well plus a walkway(SRO) over the bullpen.

twk
AG
Blue star for you. That's right.
twk
AG
Just to illustrate the sun angle problem, here is Olsen Field in an aerial where true north is at the top:

I added a line from hope plate through the pitchers mound just to help you see how close that line is to true north. This image was taken on December 17, when the sun is close to its southernmost point on the horizon at sunset. Notice how the stands are nicely shadowed on both sides at this time of year. MLB recommends that a field be oriented either with the 3rd base line running north/south, or, the 1st base line running north/south. You can see why that is better when you see the sun's angle at Olsen on June 8:

Although image doesn't show the stands, you can see how all the first base side is gong to be in the sun, and how the seats down the line are going to be looking back into the sun. If you notice, from mid-May through June, when we play a game while the sun is low on the horizon, the first baseman often has trouble picking up the ball on throws from 3rd when the 3rd baseman has to come in on a ball.
dermdoc
AG
twk said:

Just to illustrate the sun angle problem, here is Olsen Field in an aerial where true north is at the top:

I added a line from hope plate through the pitchers mound just to help you see how close that line is to true north. This image was taken on December 17, when the sun is close to its southernmost point on the horizon at sunset. Notice how the stands are nicely shadowed on both sides at this time of year. MLB recommends that a field be oriented either with the 3rd base line running north/south, or, the 1st base line running north/south. You can see why that is better when you see the sun's angle at Olsen on June 8:

Although image doesn't show the stands, you can see how all the first base side is gong to be in the sun, and how the seats down the line are going to be looking back into the sun. If you notice, from mid-May through June, when we play a game while the sun is low on the horizon, the first baseman often has trouble picking up the ball on throws from 3rd when the 3rd baseman has to come in on a ball.
To be succinct, get tickets down the third base line or under the over hang.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.