Schloss on Olsen Expansion

40,864 Views | 203 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by trouble
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
West Point Aggie said:

podge said:

can also confirm from someone involved with campus, the jimbo buyout is at fault for postponing the expansion. It will still happen, but with the jimbo buyout + NIL fund coming out of the same bucket, it will not be next season as of right now. I hope Schloss is a patient man

Of course the idiot who gave Jimbo the dumbass extension is gone…
The extension is what allowed the buyout to be paid over multiple years this decreasing the prevent value of the buyout…
trouble
AG
Ummm, John Sharp is still here.
woodiewood
The new renovations look really, really nice.
Farmer1906
AG
woodiewood said:

Are they better or worse than this?

Tuve
woodiewood said:

can you describe what they look like if you can't show images? Like does seating go all the way down the line and in the outfield? Estimated capacity?
sanaug
AG
Agreed. Would be nice to retain a view of trains passing by.
txkidsports
Anyone know if this is ever going to happen? We've now been talking about this for over a year and these things take time.
TAMUallen
AG
One ping pong table and one ps5 on a 60 million budget?
Leander - Ag
AG
Original blue bell redesign was a failure. Reduce capacity? Limited premium seats? Total lack of vision.

We have been leaving massive amount of revenue on the table for over a decade.
OldAggie_2
Don't know if any part of Ebbets Field would translate to Olsen but I think its a cool old stadium.
whoop1995
AG
Put seats on top of the rec center like wrigley field has in the out field. Roof top catered parties etc

I also thought it would be cool to have x marks on the rec center where home runs land.

I collect ticket stubs! looking for a 1944 orange bowl and 1981 independence bowl ticket stub as well as Aggie vs tu stubs - 1926 and below, 1935-1937, 1939-1944, 1946-1948, 1950-1951, 1953, 1956-1957, 1959, 1960, 1963-1966, 1969-1970, 1972-1974, 1980, 1984, 1990, 2004, 2008, 2010
trouble
AG
Regents approve 80 million for Olsen renovation

https://wtaw.com/texas-am-system-board-of-regents-approve-a-new-capital-projects-plan-that-includes-an-80-million-dollar-renovation-of-blue-bell-park/
dabo man
AG
This is interesting to me. Sounds like this is going to be done in a couple (or more?) phases.

EDIT - Or maybe they added an 's' to renovation by mistake.

Quote:

System documents say the first renovations of Blue Bell Park since its opening in 2012, is scheduled to start during the 2025-26 fiscal year. The documents also say the cost will be paid by stadium revenue funds.
Tx95Ag
AG
W
AG
$80 MM sounds like some tearing down will take place
dabo man
AG
Now that a budget is in place, the only thing I ask for as a fan is that new bleachers (like the existing 2nd deck ones) have backs to them. Well, and a permanent seating capacity in the 11K to 12K neighborhood.
Death_Berm
The berms. Save the berms. I must continue to feast for all eternity!
RED AG 98
AG
Death_Berm said:

The berms. Save the berms. I must continue to feast for all eternity!
Sorry, death to the existing death berms. Maybe a new db2 will be resurrected beyond the outfield wall.
KaneIsAble
AG
They are going to reseat the place too like Kyle once it's all said and done. It's my understanding that I will have the ability to keep my seats but only if I pay the difference to catch up in points to secure them.

Not cool - I love my seats.
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

$80 MM sounds like some tearing down will take place

I would expect the guts of the offices, lockerooms, training facility, etc to the redone. I would also expect the current cages to be torn down and rebuilt bigger and better.
greg.w.h
AG
I'm pretty sure those allocations both allow construction to begin and are a license to hunt for more specific donor support. If it stops at $80 million it hopefully solves all of the problems with the venue and doesn't just focus on expansion. And hope they do get more funds to reach their hallelujah goal…
Charlie Moran
AG
The 12MF going to kick you out of your seats despite years of loyalty ? Why I'm shocked.

It's page 1 of their playbook
"I didn't come here to lose!" Charley Moran
BostonAg74
I've watched Fenway Park expand over the years, finding new pockets of seats all over the park while not disrupting the schedule. If anything, they've enhanced the character of the park by doing it the way they've done it. The most interesting seats in the park are in some those carved out areas. (One of these days, I'm going to try going to the Bleacher Bar in centerfield, which provides the ultimate opportunity to rag on the centerfielder.) After several "mini expansions", Fenway has never been so unique and fan friendly.

My point is that we need to recognize what is unique about the atmosphere at Olsen, and make sure that we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater when we expand. Find pockets of new seats in the existing layout, make sure that new structures do not overwhelm the existing to the point that the park is no longer recognizable to the fans who have been going there for decades. Make it great, but keep it Olsen.
Farmer1906
AG
I think what defines Olsen from a structurally standpoint is the large double deck in the INF. As long as that is there and partially filled with the Raggies then Olsen will always have a bit of magic.

FYI, I think the CF bar closes the window into the stadium during the game. Or at least that was the case when I went many many moons ago.
cypress-ag
AG
Add seating along 1st and third to match up to what we have and extend it out. Sight lines in Olsen are amazing but not sure what you do with the outfield portion with the tracks and fire lanes causing the biggest issues.
Sean98
AG
dabo man said:

Now that a budget is in place, the only thing I ask for as a fan is that new bleachers (like the existing 2nd deck ones) have backs to them. Well, and a permanent seating capacity in the 11K to 12K neighborhood.
You better do some damn core exercises!! You'll get no bleacher backs!! Use those Abs to hold yourselves upright!!
dcowboy808
AG
Block the sun! Block the sun! Block the sun!
twk
AG
Leander - Ag said:

Original blue bell redesign was a failure. Reduce capacity? Limited premium seats? Total lack of vision.

We have been leaving massive amount of revenue on the table for over a decade.
They had to solicit people to buy the premium seating they built. The RF bleachers were never going to survive a renovation. State has the best park in the country, and they got rid of 2 similar structures.

You can beat your chest about lack of vision, but it was lack of funds. They really would have been screwed had the Kruse family not come through with the Blue Bell naming rights deal.
McInnis
AG
$80 million is a lot of money. For most of us.

you moran
AG
Can't wait to find out the new name. Big Titty (insert mega donor name) Stadium at Blue Bell Park at Olsen Field.
you moran
AG
If I win the lottery. Skidmark Stadium at Blue Bell Park at Olsen Field.
dabo man
AG
When I win the lottery, the stadium will be named C.E. "Pat" Olsen Field.
BostonAg74
Farmer1906 said:

I think what defines Olsen from a structurally standpoint is the large double deck in the INF. As long as that is there and partially filled with the Raggies then Olsen will always have a bit of magic.

FYI, I think the CF bar closes the window into the stadium during the game. Or at least that was the case when I went many many moons ago.
When the Bleacher Bar first opened, they made a point of telling how close they were to the "sights and sounds" of Fenway, so apparently the original intent was to allow their patrons to engage in a little mischief. However, it appears that is no longer the case (I just checked their website) and probably hasn't been for sometime. I was actually there just before they opened because I knew the contractor, and it's like you're standing on the warning track. Even with the glass door pulled down, it seems like it would be a pretty unique point of view.

YellowPot_97
AG
KaneIsAble said:

They are going to reseat the place too like Kyle once it's all said and done. It's my understanding that I will have the ability to keep my seats but only if I pay the difference to catch up in points to secure them.

Same. I love my seat and the people around me. They're like family. My daughter has grown up there. She's been coming to games since she was 9 months old and will be 10 next week. Really don't want to lose my spot.
LOYAL AG
AG
KaneIsAble said:

They haven't said this yet to my knowledge. The reseating of Kyle was "justified" because the original seating was torn down. They reseated Olsen in 2012 and again argued that they had materially changed the configuration which was kind of true given they added the club and created a Row 1 in sections behind the dugouts. I doubt the lower deck gets much in the way of changes to how it is configured with this remodel.

They've used Hop as a sounding board of sorts and he has told them they're going to lose season ticket holders in the lower deck if those seats become tied to football priority points and they force long time ticket holders out over money. Big donors in Dallas/Houston will buy those seats and never use them which will kill the environment. For me all I've asked for is a legit opportunity to buy my seats where I've been for 30 years almost. If they double the price I'll consider that even knowing they just doubled it in 2023. If they give me a $20k+ bill just to buy priority points then double them I'll just check out and go join Kman at Messina Hof.

Baseball isn't football and tying the two together and telling the locals who have been there forever that their commitment to baseball doesn't matter anymore would be a poor decision. My 25 and 22 yo kids joke about wanting me to leave them my tickets in my will and I find myself wondering if A&M is going to run me off for more money long before that day comes. We'll see.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.