Schloss on Olsen Expansion

40,897 Views | 203 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by trouble
ReelAg6
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Farmer1906 said:

BQ_90 said:

Farmer1906 said:

BQ_90 said:

Farmer1906 said:

The Jimbo firing can't be good for the baseball plans.

IMO it's the opposite. BMAs where closing their wallets if he didn't go
I am not following the logic here. If there is a donor that gives to both football and baseball and we owe Jimbo 19 M right away (I think I read) plus new funds to buy out another coach potentially, Why wouldn't that donor feel tapped out if he's writing huge football checks? If Jimbo is still here, the options are to give to baseball or hold onto your money.

Donors aren't a block vote. Many wanted Jimbo gone and said they would stop donating if he was retained. Do you realize we don't own Jimbo all the money upfront. So it's not like they need all,the money right now

Again they announced campaign for soccer same week they knew they would fire Jimbo

Seems weird to punish baseball because you don't like football.

And yes, I do realize. I said so in my post.

It's called leverage. They would have used it. I am not sure if Ross makes it through this Stoops debacle. I hope he does.

A new AD could slow down the process of getting Schloss what he needs, as the new AD evaluates needs and gets settled.
RoyVal
AG
I was talking to somebody recently involved in the discussions with our administration about the Olsen expansion. So apparently the administration wants to model our stadium expansion to be like LSU's Alex box stadium (only 'bigger' and 'better' according to the administration). The amount of money the school "thinks" it's going to cost is still pretty far off from the contractors estimates. Sounds like the planning stage still has issues that they are working through. Hopefully they can close the gap and get this moving.
twk
AG
RoyVal said:

I was talking to somebody recently involved in the discussions with our administration about the Olsen expansion. So apparently the administration wants to model our stadium expansion to be like LSU's Alex box stadium (only 'bigger' and 'better' according to the administration). The amount of money the school "thinks" it's going to cost is still pretty far off from the contractors estimates. Sounds like the planning stage still has issues that they are working through. Hopefully they can close the gap and get this moving.
Maybe they are planning on modelling things after LSU's player facilities, but the Box is actually not a great ballpark when it comes to fan facilities. It has more seats, but only because they've got a lot of bench back bleachers down the lines (with poor views back to the infield) and cheap bleachers in the outfield. LSU fans will tell you that they cut way too many corners when building the Box.
RoyVal
AG
twk said:

RoyVal said:

Maybe they are planning on modelling things after LSU's player facilities, but the Box is actually not a great ballpark when it comes to fan facilities. It has more seats, but only because they've got a lot of bench back bleachers down the lines (with poor views back to the infield) and cheap bleachers in the outfield. LSU fans will tell you that they cut way too many corners when building the Box.
just passing along the info. I've never been to the Box, but that's what I was told. Also it seems like the administration is digging in their heels on the amount of money they want to spend, but not wanting to cut any corners, so something will eventually have to give: the design or the checkbook. Funny...it was also mentioned to me that the Jimbo money situation is partly to blame for the the administration digging their heels in on the financials.....
Positivelyag512
The train has to be a apart of the Magic, how will that stay a part of the atmosphere and park
MagnumLoad
RoyVal said:

twk said:

RoyVal said:

just passing along the info. I've never been to the Box, but that's what I was told. Also it seems like the administration is digging in their heels on the amount of money they want to spend, but not wanting to cut any corners, so something will eventually have to give: the design or the checkbook. Funny...it was also mentioned to me that the Jimbo money situation is partly to blame for the the administration digging their heels in on the financials.....

Harming baseball because they F'ed up football is beyond stupid but consistent with our athletic dept decisions. It could cost us Schlossnagle. Dumb butts.
BQ_90
AG
I've heard that we can't move Olsen because of the University not the AD. The rumor is part of the reno will include a bunch of utility upgrades to rec center that Olsen reno has to pay for, which also then makes the reno more expensive

Those few donors that pay for everything are expected to keep giving and keep giving. So at some point you hit a saturation point

Also Schloss is wanting his piece of the NIL pie, again more money from very few donors
TXAGBQ76
AG
Who are you referring to? The athletic department has campaigned for sites all around the campus- were denied by the University who has plans for those suggested sites.
Farmer1906
AG
+1 on this. Alex Box is on the same level as Olsen with a bunch of bleachers surrounding it.

There is nothing out there in the OF with the bleachers. Two tiny playgrounds in the corners. And bare bones concessions under the 2 bleachers down the lines.

This shouldn't be surprising. They built it from the ground up at just under 38 M. We renovated Olsen for 24 M just a few years later.

Alex Box should not be the goal unless we're talking regular attendance, player facilities (mostly added later), and titles.

ensign_beedrill
AG
Oh. Alex Box Stadium is bad.
Chrundle the Great
AG
Schloss has mentioned he covets Alex box's "atmosphere" which I think is more fan turnout related than infrastructure.

Maybe something about getting closer to that is how the comparison filtered down.
greg.w.h
AG
I'm in favor of an intimidating atmosphere. What if we sold corn dogs that make you nasty???
SMM48
AG
Stadiums or fan bases really aren't intimidating.
RoyVal
AG
Farmer1906 said:

They built it from the ground up at just under 38 M. We renovated Olsen for 24 M just a few years later.

these numbers are about half of what the administration and contractors are discussing.....
greg.w.h
AG
SMM48 said:

Stadiums or fan bases really aren't intimidating.
But nasty corn dogs…
Farmer1906
AG
RoyVal said:

Farmer1906 said:

They built it from the ground up at just under 38 M. We renovated Olsen for 24 M just a few years later.

these numbers are about half of what the administration and contractors are discussing.....
38 M in 2010 is around 53 M today so it's not like we're talking about #s that will completely blow everyone away. It's one of the reasons I am pro-keeping Olsen where it is and somewhat how it is. The main part of the stadium is fine. We need to finish out the rest in a way that isn't just a bunch of metal bleachers around the perimeter. Keep it nice, add some seating, and make it fun. Get us from 6.1k capacity to around 8.5-9k. Then use the rest to add some premium areas (extend the suits, add a new club, build up where there isn't a 2nd deck yet) that move the # to 10k, and finally (maybe firstly) add top-tier player facilities.
MagnumLoad
Sooner we get started the better. Coach has been clear we need this. Get it going. Schlossnagle is our best coach imo, don't screw up and lose him.
BQ_90
AG
MagnumLoad said:

Sooner we get started the better. Coach has been clear we need this. Get it going. Schlossnagle is our best coach imo, don't screw up and lose him.
who would we lose him to? I've seen this posted several times now. I can think of maybe 3 schools that he's listen to or would offer better deals than A&M. sips, LSU, maybe Arky. And he still might listen to them no matter if Olsen stayed the same or was expanded. And it doesn't seem like any of those programs will be looking soon for a new HC
Farmer1906
AG
How about Mississippi St? Ole Miss?
BBGigem
AG
Dudy Noble. Love the place and the atmosphere. As a friend of mine put while there, "I could live here". I asked, "In Starkville?". He says "No! Here in Dudy Noble". I concur.
twk
AG
Farmer1906 said:

State could easily be looking for a new coach next year. Lemonis is very much on the hot seat. Bianco probably bought himself five years or more when he won at Omaha. Lemonis doesn't get the same benefit, because Bianco basically built Ole Miss, while State fans feel like Lemonis was handed a Cadillac that has now been chopped for parts.
BQ_90
AG
Farmer1906 said:

ok so 4 programs, maybe. but did they look at Schloss in 2018 or end of 2017?

And if it's about stadium size, then he's going to MSU, because we cannot build as big as their stadium
twk
AG
BQ_90 said:

Farmer1906 said:

And if it's about stadium size, then he's going to MSU, because we cannot build as big as their stadium
They looked at Schloss back when Cohen became AD. There was some mutual interest.
Farmer1906
AG
BQ_90 said:

Farmer1906 said:

It only takes one. I would like to keep him happy and continue to build up our program to catch up with elites of the SEC.
BQ_90
AG
Farmer1906 said:

BQ_90 said:

Farmer1906 said:

It only takes one. I would like to keep him happy and continue to build up our program to catch up with elites of the SEC.
And we're trying, if he doesn't like our speed then prepare for him to leave to one of maybe 4 schools.
MagnumLoad
Quit trying and do it.
Captain Pablo
AG
RoyVal said:

twk said:

RoyVal said:

That sucks

Yeah I guess $19 million now and $9 million every year thereafter will do that

podge
AG
can also confirm from someone involved with campus, the jimbo buyout is at fault for postponing the expansion. It will still happen, but with the jimbo buyout + NIL fund coming out of the same bucket, it will not be next season as of right now. I hope Schloss is a patient man
Farmer1906
AG
Boo!!!
Captain Pablo
AG
podge said:

can also confirm from someone involved with campus, the jimbo buyout is at fault for postponing the expansion. It will still happen, but with the jimbo buyout + NIL fund coming out of the same bucket, it will not be next season as of right now. I hope Schloss is a patient man

The Jimbo fiasco will be more costly than people think

$76 Million is real money
Farmer1906
AG

Quote:

• The weather has had an impact, but we were able to have five or six intrasquad games. We have about four innings to play tomorrow night. We are a little bit behind schedule in terms of the number of repetitions. Some of these schools that have indoor facilities or access to indoor facilities were probably able to do more.

Noticed this on TA Radio.

Would be nice...

LukeDuke
AG
Schloss was wise volunteering to serve on the AD search committee...
ensign_beedrill
AG
We have a nice new indoor football practice facility. Could we not share? Certainly football is not using it every hour of the day...
dagwood13
AG
I know TCU uses the football indoor facility and Nebraska has an indoor facility, but if the pitchers need to do long toss, they go to the football indoor practice facility.
Here are a few pics of Nebraska indoor baseball. They pull the nets back and have an infield and some outfield room. These are from my sons official visit.

St Hedwig Aggie
AG
podge said:

Of course the idiot who gave Jimbo the dumbass extension is gone…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.