This team finished with a very respectable couple of weeks...

4,858 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by aginlakeway
twk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggies2009 said:

Complete Idiot said:

Overall, disappointing season relative to my FAN expectations, which are homer based and perhaps unrealistic, but I still have unwavering faith in Schloss and the program's future.
It wasn't just homerism- publications had us in the top 5 to start the year lol
Those guys need to take a look in the mirror. Anyone that followed this team last year knew that a 3rd place finish at Omaha with the talent we had was miraculous. Even if everyone had returned from that team, it would have been foolish to predict the same results, and yet, we lost some key parts of that team. So, you're banking on the new talent to raise the overall talent level a lot, and that didn't come close to happening.
nu awlins ag
AG
dabo man said:

I think the SEC tournament and regional showed us what the offense would have been if we'd had any kind of starting pitching this season (last night being an exception). It's hard to grind out ABs for walks and put any pressure on the pitcher when your guy is passing out free bases like Pez.

Proud of the players!! I'm more disappointed in Schloss. In back to back innings you had guys on first with a lefty on the mound. You sac bunt to move the runners in scoring position and put the pressure on him and the defense. When that A&M player laid down that bunt, you saw him trip off the mound. I believe with the score tied 1-1, you have to create chances to score. Last night the bats weren't working. The starting pitcher did a great job but had no run support. With the hitters that Stanford had, it was just a matter of time until the dam broke.
Aggies2009
AG
twk said:

Aggies2009 said:

Complete Idiot said:

Overall, disappointing season relative to my FAN expectations, which are homer based and perhaps unrealistic, but I still have unwavering faith in Schloss and the program's future.
Those guys need to take a look in the mirror. Anyone that followed this team last year knew that a 3rd place finish at Omaha with the talent we had was miraculous. Even if everyone had returned from that team, it would have been foolish to predict the same results, and yet, we lost some key parts of that team. So, you're banking on the new talent to raise the overall talent level a lot, and that didn't come close to happening.
Haas and Laviolette were great additions to fill the holes of the bats that left. Replacing guys statistically was not the issue. The issue was that the players we had took a HUGE step back in many cases. Dettmer, Cortez, Minnich (injury, which just sucks), Bost, Targac... If they are close to what they did last season, there is no reason this wouldn't have been in Omaha. Had a legit shot as of Sunday anyway.
Aggies2009
AG
nu awlins ag said:

dabo man said:

I think the SEC tournament and regional showed us what the offense would have been if we'd had any kind of starting pitching this season (last night being an exception). It's hard to grind out ABs for walks and put any pressure on the pitcher when your guy is passing out free bases like Pez.

Proud of the players!! I'm more disappointed in Schloss. In back to back innings you had guys on first with a lefty on the mound. You sac bunt to move the runners in scoring position and put the pressure on him and the defense. When that A&M player laid down that bunt, you saw him trip off the mound. I believe with the score tied 1-1, you have to create chances to score. Last night the bats weren't working. The starting pitcher did a great job but had no run support. With the hitters that Stanford had, it was just a matter of time until the dam broke.
Fullerton laid down a few bunts that Stanford had tons of trouble with too.
Ol Sarge Friday
dixichkn said:

kyledr04 said:

Shattered hopes and dreams forever. You'd think we'd stop caring. Maybe one day.
Here's the key……..hang in there. I'll be 57 years old next month. I'm not gonna live forever obviously. And since the sports gods have decided to sh** on me until I shuffle off this mortal coil……. the Ags will win not one, but two natties, probably football/baseball, immediately after I'm gone.

Just to spite me.

Hank Williams you wrote my life. I'm a couple of years further down the road than you and looking at the big picture it's hard not to feel shat upon. Football last year almost cured me from caring about any of it.
Complete Idiot
dixichkn said:

kyledr04 said:

Shattered hopes and dreams forever. You'd think we'd stop caring. Maybe one day.
Here's the key……..hang in there. I'll be 57 years old next month. I'm not gonna live forever obviously. And since the sports gods have decided to sh** on me until I shuffle off this mortal coil……. the Ags will win not one, but two natties, probably football/baseball, immediately after I'm gone.

What is your current physical location? GPS coordinates will do.

TIA
MMantle
AG
Schloss does not play Small Ball, never has, he wasn't going to start last night.

RR
twk
AG
Aggies2009 said:

twk said:

Aggies2009 said:

Complete Idiot said:

Haas and Laviolette were great additions to fill the holes of the bats that left. Replacing guys statistically was not the issue. The issue was that the players we had took a HUGE step back in many cases. Dettmer, Cortez, Minnich (injury, which just sucks), Bost, Targac... If they are close to what they did last season, there is no reason this wouldn't have been in Omaha. Had a legit shot as of Sunday anyway.
Bost and Targac reverted to the mean without a hot lineup around them. I'm excited about Jace's future, but will be even more excited if we can find some protection for him in the lineup. Sometimes, you get a team where everyone has a career year. It happened in 2022, and I've seen it happen before (1989, for example).
MMantle
AG
We need pitching, starting pitching, badly.

RR
Aggies2009
AG
twk said:

Aggies2009 said:

twk said:

Aggies2009 said:

Complete Idiot said:

Bost and Targac reverted to the mean without a hot lineup around them. I'm excited about Jace's future, but will be even more excited if we can find some protection for him in the lineup. Sometimes, you get a team where everyone has a career year. It happened in 2022, and I've seen it happen before (1989, for example).
I guess this is what happened. It's the strangest thing. It was like Bost, Targac, and Minnich all fed off one another and the 3 of them all went down together.

Losing previous "protection" wasn't the issue- the only 3 losses from the 2022 lineup were Rock (1.056 OPS, 18 HR), Claunch (.766 OPS, 3 HR), and Kaler (.608 OPS, 3 HR).

They were replaced by Haas (.953 OPS, 10 HR), Laviolette (1.046 OPS, 21 HR), and Kaufer (.564 OPS, 1 HR).

In the aggregate, I'd argue the 2023 replacements were better. Especially when you consider they weren't protected by 'hot" Bost, Targac, and Minnich that the others got in 2022.
Stone Cold
AG
dabo man said:

Nailed it. Couldn't have said this better.

Just regroup with the guys returning, hit the portal to fill the gaps and let Schloss and his staff do their thing. I'm a little critical of Yeskie after seeing this year's pitching performance. Ironically, I still feel that he can put together a quality SEC pitching staff.

We have the right person in charge of the program and firmly believe that we will be regulars in Omaha under his leadership.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Aggies2009 said:

Complete Idiot said:

Huge step back in catcher that most of us didn't really consider
Horrible starting pitching the entire year which should be rare at a program like ours
And Bost, Targac, Werner, and JT all took steps backwards, some bigger than others

That's what happened
annie88
AG
kyledr04 said:

If you just enjoy it for what it is instead of wanting some thing back from it will be a lot easier on yourself. That's not defeatist, it's living in the present.
dabo man
AG
I don't know what to think of Yeskie. I am well-aware of what he has accomplished. On the other hand, our pitching wasn't a strength last year, and this year (barring the last two weeks) it was often dismal.

What happened to the pitching this season? What happened in post-season play to produce the turn-around? How will Nate Yeskie fix it? Does he know how he's going to fix it?

I can't answer any of these things.
Luke The Drifter
AG
I'm not saying we should bail out on Yeskie just yet, but it is fair and worth wondering if he was a great west coast pitching coach but maybe not an SEC-caliber pitching coach.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Stone Cold
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

I'm not saying we should bail out on Yeskie just yet, but it is fair and worth wondering if he was a great west coast pitching coach but maybe not an SEC-caliber pitching coach.
He definitely has the pedigree and "skins on the wall" of being a great pitching coach. It's there. We saw what West Coast Pitching did to our lineup the last two games, so there's that.
nu awlins ag
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Check his resume. He's done great at every stop. He can't throw strikes…..
aginlakeway
AG
kyledr04 said:

Your hopes and dreams are shattered forever because of Aggie sports? Wow.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
fieldtrailer
AG
Just wait till next year. Replace gigem with this.
W
AG
gotta be honest...he hasn't done a great job here...and I don't think that is debatable

at the moment A&M ranks 112th in the country with a 5.59 team ERA

Tennessee ranks 2nd. Alabama ranks 7th. South Carolina ranks 13th.

Kentucky is 17th. Vanderbilt 19th. LSU 44th. Florida 48th.

so we can't say the low ranking is due to facing SEC competition
MMantle
AG
And, his pitching (staff) wasn't very good in 2022 either, i.e., he hasn't done much yet at A&M.

As I've stated before, he had 5 pitchers in 2023 that had done reasonably well at major D-1 programs in 2022, Dettmer, Cortez, Rudis, Lambert and Wansing.

All regressed in 2023.

RR
dixichkn
AG
aginlakeway said:

kyledr04 said:

If we weren't supposed to care, none of us would be here……..I don't think any of us are looking for a shower rod at the moment but I think we'd all love a natty, somewhere, at some point, to change the perception of Texas A&M athletics and the kids involved in it. And I think this baseball program probably is the most likely to step up and do so first. So yeah, seeing them take a step back this year when the expectations were so high is disappointing. You could see the frustration on Schloss' face almost every game.
Adam87inSA
AG
W said:

for what it's worth...this was the program's best "season after Omaha" year

1994 -- missed postseason

2000 -- missed postseason

2012 -- lost in loser's bracket game of regional

2018 -- lost in loser's bracket game of regional

2023 -- played in regional championship game
This bears repeating. Considering the regular season and the awfulness of our starting pitching, it's damn near a miracle we made to finals at Hoover and took Stanford to brink
aginlakeway
AG
dixichkn said:

aginlakeway said:

kyledr04 said:

If we weren't supposed to care, none of us would be here……..I don't think any of us are looking for a shower rod at the moment but I think we'd all love a natty, somewhere, at some point, to change the perception of Texas A&M athletics and the kids involved in it. And I think this baseball program probably is the most likely to step up and do so first. So yeah, seeing them take a step back this year when the expectations were so high is disappointing. You could see the frustration on Schloss' face almost every game.

Who is saying that they're not disappointed? I was responding to the "shattered hopes and dreams forever" commnent which seems overly dire.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.