Kentucky Regional SIAP

8,343 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by dermdoc
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

College Station isn't rescheduling Zach Brown, Mumford & Sons, Weezer, et. al. because of a potential baseball regional.

You're operating in a fantasy land
They do not have to as there will still be hotel rooms.

And the question is not whether anything should be rescheduled.

The question is can you supply reasonable accommodations, adequate facilities, etc.

When I think of "host" of any kind of tournament, certain requirements should be met.

Otherwise you should not host. Makes sense.

UVA should hosted as a two. Just like Arky did when SE Missouri could not use their minor league stadium several years ago.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXAggie2011
AG
75AG said:

Fantasy world is thinking any of those acts are coming to College Station. Your argument is folly.
Look, I've been dreaming big since I got to see the prestigious Soulja Boy bless Midnight Madness my freshman yea
75AG
AG
Elton John, Chicago, Linda Ronstadt. I wish big time concerts would come back.
twk
AG
You guys are missing the larger point.

Having hotels available is a criteria for which the NCAA makes provisions for waivers. But, who decides that? The frikcin' former Kentucky baseball coach and mentor of the current Kentucky baseball coach. Do you really think anyone else would have gotten the same treatment?

Being able to book the visiting teams in a hotel is a core hosting requirement, not a peripheral matter. A&M has enough foresight on this that we would never let it become a problem.

Answer this: if this is a yearly festival, then the same thing could happen again next year. So, if Kentucky hosts next year, is it OK to force the visitors to resort to dorms, or should Kentucky have to reserve room blocks (which they could likely cancel on reasonable notice)?
dermdoc
AG
75AG said:

Elton John, Chicago, Linda Ronstadt. I wish big time concerts would come back.
Eagles and Olivia Newton John also.

In the Holler House on the Brazos. Those were the days.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
twk said:

Having hotels available is a criteria for which the NCAA makes provisions for waivers. But, who decides that? The frikcin' former Kentucky baseball coach and mentor of the current Kentucky baseball coach. Do you really think anyone else would have gotten the same treatment?

Being able to book the visiting teams in a hotel is a core hosting requirement, not a peripheral matter. A&M has enough foresight on this that we would never let it become a problem.

Answer this: if this is a yearly festival, then the same thing could happen again next year. So, if Kentucky hosts next year, is it OK to force the visitors to resort to dorms, or should Kentucky have to reserve room blocks (which they could likely cancel on reasonable notice)?
Exactly. To be a host, you should have to meet certain requirements. This is not hard.

And I guarantee you this would not happen at a NCAA basketball regional site.
dermdoc
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

College Station isn't rescheduling Zach Brown, Mumford & Sons, Weezer, et. al. because of a potential baseball regional.

You're operating in a fantasy land
And I am the one in a fantasy land?

BTHO Cal State Fullerton.
dermdoc
AG
twk said:

You left out that Cohen and Mingione are both jerks.
TheAngelFlight
No one is rearranging anything at the level of the Railbird Music Festival (or Chilifest, for that matter) out of concern for visitors to a baseball regional. Nor should they. That would just be dumb.

They're providing accommodations to the teams, which is their obligation. I don't see any meaningful difference between being at 3 different hotels or 3 different dorms.
dermdoc
AG
TheAngelFlight said:

No one is rearranging anything at the level of the Railbird Music Festival (or Chilifest, for that matter) out of concern for visitors to a baseball regional. Nor should they. That would just be dumb.

They're providing accommodations to the teams, which is their obligation. I don't see any meaningful difference between being at 3 different hotels or 3 different dorms.
I am not asking anyone to re arrange anything. I do not think you should be allowed to host if you can not meet certain obligations.

You and I have different ideas of what hosting entails. And as mentioned above, usually the NCAA does also.

And there are ample hotel rooms in CS for Chilifest. I know. I live here and know hotel managers.

Apples to oranges comparison.
Wicked Good Ag
dermdoc said:

twk said:

Exactly. To be a host, you should have to meet certain requirements. This is not hard.

Those are known years in advance

twk
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

dermdoc said:

twk said:

As are the dates for NCAA baseball postseason play. There's nothing stopping UK from booking hotels rooms for these dates next year. In the big scheme of things, it's not that many rooms, so maybe UK has to agree to cancel by a certain date or pay something, but if you want to host, you have to make arrangements. Different obstacle, but Southwest Missouri ran into a logistic problem back in 2015 when they would have had to go on the road for the super regional had they advanced because the minor league team was playing at home on the super regional dates (NCAA would not let them work a day/night deal).
TheAngelFlight
dermdoc said:

TheAngelFlight said:

I am not asking anyone to re arrange anything. I do not think you should be allowed to host if you can not meet certain obligations.

You and I have different ideas of what hosting entails. And as mentioned above, usually the NCAA does also.

And there are ample hotel rooms in CS for Chilifest. I know. I live here and know hotel managers.

There are several thousand hotel rooms in Lexington (approximately 8,000 in the city limits) than in Bryan/College Station (approximately 6,000), which goes to show the magnitude of the event happening in Lexington which you claim College Station wouldn't allow to go forward for the sake of visitors to a baseball regional.
dermdoc
AG
If the same situation happened at A&M and we were unable to provide enough rooms, etc. for visiting teams fans and families, we should not be allowed to host either.

I do not think this has ever happened before. And in the past, if anything like this happened, the two seed would host.

dermdoc
AG
TheAngelFlight said:

dermdoc said:

TheAngelFlight said:

There are several thousand hotel rooms in Lexington (approximately 8,000 in the city limits) than in Bryan/College Station (approximately 6,000), which goes to show the magnitude of the event happening in Lexington which you claim College Station wouldn't allow to go forward for the sake of visitors to a baseball regional.
No. I do not think we should get the regional in that case. When I started posting I did not know this was an annual event. I was wrong and agree Railbird should go on. I do not think Kentucky should be hosting.

And I think there is a strong possibility they would not be hosting if their former coach was not head of the committee.
TheAngelFlight
"I don't think A&M should be allowed to host" is quite a different statement than what we were responding to.

Quote:

No I am saying College Station would not schedule an event that big that conflicted with a potential baseball regional.
Wicked Good Ag
twk said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

dermdoc said:

twk said:

As are the dates for NCAA baseball postseason play. There's nothing stopping UK from booking hotels rooms for these dates next year. In the big scheme of things, it's not that many rooms, so maybe UK has to agree to cancel by a certain date or pay something, but if you want to host, you have to make arrangements. Different obstacle, but Southwest Missouri ran into a logistic problem back in 2015 when they would have had to go on the road for the super regional had they advanced because the minor league team was playing at home on the super regional dates (NCAA would not let them work a day/night deal).
You are comparing an event that seats 12-15K known years in advance to one that MIGHT happen that seats likely 5K at most and you only need maybe 50=60 rooms set aside

While it is tough that is not a comparison that i would worry about

and i can guarentee if you were able to bring millions of tourist money into BCS during the exact same weekend as baseball the community would not give up those millions for a CHANCE you host
dermdoc
AG
TheAngelFlight said:

"I don't think A&M should be allowed to host" is quite a different statement than what we were responding to.

Quote:

No I am saying College Station would not schedule an event that big that conflicted with a potential baseball regional.

And I said I was wrong and did not know it was an annual event.

What else can I say?

If CS or any potential host site can not provide reasonable adequate lodging for visiting fans, it should not host in my opinion.

twk
AG
Quote:

You are comparing an event that seats 12-15K known years in advance to one that MIGHT happen that seats likely 5K at most and you only need maybe 50=60 rooms set aside
You just made the case for Kentucky's woeful negligence in this matter. All they need to do is contact three hotels around the start of the Falls semester, have them reserve some rooms (probably 25 each), then cancel the reservations if they don't host. Worst case, they might have to cut a deal with the hotel to pay a little something in case the hotels don't make as much money when the reservations are released on the Sunday before the event, but that's just the price of playing with the big boys. It would be pocket change, compared to the inconvenience they are putting the visitors through, which, frankly, gives them more advantage than they are entitled to as a host.
dermdoc
AG
twk said:

Quote:

You just made the case for Kentucky's woeful negligence in this matter. All they need to do is contact three hotels around the start of the Falls semester, have them reserve some rooms (probably 25 each), then cancel the reservations if they don't host. Worst case, they might have to cut a deal with the hotel to pay a little something in case the hotels don't make as much money when the reservations are released on the Sunday before the event, but that's just the price of playing with the big boys. It would be pocket change, compared to the inconvenience they are putting the visitors through, which, frankly, gives them more advantage than they are entitled to as a host.

Yep. This whole thing stinks. Especially with Cohen as chairman of the committee.

And Tom, I do not remember this happening before and we have been doing this a very long time.

Do you?
twk
AG
dermdoc said:

twk said:

Quote:

Yep. This whole thing stinks. Especially with Cohen as chairman of the committee.

And Tom, I do not remember this happening before and we have been doing this a very long time.

Do you?
Not for hotels in the current format. Missouri State was going to be denied hosting a super regional because the NCAA wasn't willing to consider a day/night arrangement to work around the games of the minor league team that shared the park (didn't end up mattering because they were upset in the regional). And, there have been some other facility concerns.

Back in the '80s, I believe that there were teams that weren't happy that Mississippi State was allowed to host using hotels in Columbus, but that's a 15-20 minute drive (just past the airport where we fly in).
The Lost
TheAngelFlight said:

dermdoc said:

TheAngelFlight said:

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/are-there-any-other-sec-cities-besides-oxford-and-starkville-where-the/72175646/

Most football teams don't stay in town and many hour + away and visiting fans can't get rooms too, should we cancel football?
TheAngelFlight
twk said:

Quote:

The committee shouldn't (and isn't) going to pass over the #2 RPI and all-around solid on-field resume when their instruction manual cautions greatly against doing so because players are staying in a dorm rather than a hotel.

That particular issue is the usual suspects looking for reasons to be upset.
twk
AG
TheAngelFlight said:

twk said:

Quote:

The committee shouldn't (and isn't) going to pass over the #2 RPI and all-around solid on-field resume when their instruction manual cautions greatly against doing so because players are staying in a dorm rather than a hotel.

So, if UK is in a position to host again, next year, and all the hotel rooms are once again booked (foreseably), it's OK to just make the visitors stay in 2nd tier dorm rooms again?
TheAngelFlight
Given the recurring serious issues with the quality of hotels used by NCAA teams, I don't think we can hold the quality of the rooms against Kentucky. This really feels like outrage just because its "different" rather than any meaningful difference to the teams' ability to be comfortable and have easy access to facilities, food, etc.

Obviously, I hope Kentucky will look at their options to avoid it in the future but I know its not normal practice to have a bunch of hypothetical hotel blocks around town and hotels only care to provide so much leash on that issue.

I don't think anyone is saying they like it, but this dorm thing again feels more like a superficial issue than anything
dermdoc
AG
TheAngelFlight said:

twk said:

Quote:

Twk and I are "usual suspects" looking for reasons to be upset?

Cool. I always wanted to be "oppressed".

dermdoc
AG
TheAngelFlight said:

Given the recurring serious issues with the quality of hotels used by NCAA teams, I don't think we can hold the quality of the rooms against Kentucky. This really feels like outrage just because its "different" rather than any meaningful difference to the teams' ability to be comfortable and have easy access to facilities, food, etc.

Obviously, I hope Kentucky will look at their options to avoid it in the future but I know its not normal practice to have a bunch of hypothetical hotel blocks around town and hotels only care to provide so much leash on that issue.

I don't think anyone is saying they like it, but this dorm thing again feels more like a superficial issue than anything
How do you know it is not normal practice to set aside hotel rooms for a potential NCAA event?

Are you a hotel manager?

And I have no problem with players staying in dorms.

I think as a host you have to provide adequate hotel accommodations for visiting and your own fans. Otherwise you are not really a "host".
swimmerbabe11
TheAngelFlight said:

agreed.

I was a whole lot more bothered by the disgusting bed bug situation last year.

It feels like every year there is some sort of issue with hotel accommodations/travel/etc that is seemingly egregious for either the fanbase or the student athletes
dermdoc
AG
The Lost said:

TheAngelFlight said:

dermdoc said:

TheAngelFlight said:

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/are-there-any-other-sec-cities-besides-oxford-and-starkville-where-the/72175646/

Most football teams don't stay in town and many hour + away and visiting fans can't get rooms too, should we cancel football?
I get rooms at ever away SEC fb venue. And have not missed an Aggie game home or away since we joined the SEC.
ensign_beedrill
AG
TheAngelFlight said:

I actually toured a Kentucky dorm when I was there a few years ago and it was real nice. Much nicer than my dorms from A&M, lol. Probably the only thing they don't get with a dorm that they would with a hotel is a television. I would hope the university is providing bed sheets and towels and toilet paper and little bottles of shampoo. Also looks like four guys to a bathroom instead of what would otherwise be two, but that's not a big deal is it? Could be worse, could be communal bath!

The worst thing about it is that the university is charging, uh, rather a lot for what amounts to minimal facilities. Also families and fans are getting the real short end of the stick. The players at least have a place to stay. The people who love them and want to see them play? Good luck.
Sq 17
Pretty sure all that needs to be said has been said time for a Texags blue star poll

Star this post if you think UK should have been the 1 seed at another site because of inadequate hotel arrangements
dermdoc
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

TheAngelFlight said:

I actually toured a Kentucky dorm when I was there a few years ago and it was real nice. Much nicer than my dorms from A&M, lol. Probably the only thing they don't get with a dorm that they would with a hotel is a television. I would hope the university is providing bed sheets and towels and toilet paper and little bottles of shampoo. Also looks like four guys to a bathroom instead of what would otherwise be two, but that's not a big deal is it? Could be worse, could be communal bath!

The worst thing about it is that the university is charging, uh, rather a lot for what amounts to minimal facilities. Also families and fans are getting the real short end of the stick. The players at least have a place to stay. The people who love them and want to see them play? Good luck.
Amen.
Sq 17
And star this post if you think the NCAA did the right thing allowing UK to host
twk
AG
dermdoc said:

TheAngelFlight said:

twk said:

Quote:

Twk and I are "usual suspects" looking for reasons to be upset?

Cool. I always wanted to be "oppressed".

TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Also families and fans are getting the real short end of the stick. The players at least have a place to stay. The people who love them and want to see them play? Good luck.
Y'all, there are still rooms available all over Lexington for Friday through Tuesday. Fans will be able to stay in Lexington. This was about lacking 3 total hotel blocks large enough for a full baseball roster and their coaches and entourage.

Google hotel search

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.