Scouting Report on Cal State Fullerton

7,274 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by fightintxag13
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MagnumLoad said:

Whoever our best pitcher is should start game 1, period. Have to win game 1. That is all that matters right now.

Maybe. But matchups are important too. Right now, I don't know who our best pitcher is. Seems like whoever is on that day.
Sea Pony 07
AG
We could go off the rails and start Aschenbeck and then use him again in game 3.
Wrecking Crew 21
Thanks for the scouting report!
LOYAL AG
AG
McInnis said:

Sometimes it can be tempting to save your best starter for game two but I don't think I can ever remember either Mark Johnson or Rob Childress doing it. Can anyone?

This year is kind of unique because after a full season there's no clear cut idea of who the best starter is, only a pretty good idea of who it's not.

Don't think Childress ever did even when it was incredibly obvious. Last time we were sent to Austin tu was very left hand heavy and Indiana was very right hand heavy. That was the year Dox put it all together and was elite but we had a righty that was very good as well. We should have pitched backwards but didn't so Dox dominated Indiana then the righty got chased early against left hand heavy tu and we were eliminated in game 3. That's a situation where you have to at least consider it but mainly because we had a good option from both sides and tu was so left handed that year.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
clendenin
AG
McInnis said:

It looks like they got into the tournament by tying for first in the Big West Conf. The Big West doesn't have a post season tournament so they made it to a regional by taking two of three from conference co-champs Cal State Northridge. With an RPI of 65 I'm guessing they only made it as an automatic qualifier and not as an at large team. But that would mean there's so many AQs this year with teams that wouldn't otherwise have made the tournament that they filled all the 4 seeds with some left over. Is this right?

CSF actually finished tied for second and wouldn't have made the field of 64 except UC-San Diego is a first year D1 and they couldn't represent the league after winning the regular season crown.
powerbelly
AG
clendenin said:

McInnis said:

It looks like they got into the tournament by tying for first in the Big West Conf. The Big West doesn't have a post season tournament so they made it to a regional by taking two of three from conference co-champs Cal State Northridge. With an RPI of 65 I'm guessing they only made it as an automatic qualifier and not as an at large team. But that would mean there's so many AQs this year with teams that wouldn't otherwise have made the tournament that they filled all the 4 seeds with some left over. Is this right?

CSF actually finished tied for second and wouldn't have made the field of 64 except UC-San Diego is a first year D1 and they couldn't represent the league after winning the regular season crown.

By far the worst NCAA rule
Agdad081216
We have a few that are right there together.
Texam90
AG
powerbelly said:

clendenin said:

McInnis said:

I get why the rule is there but it sucks for the athletes.
85AustinAg
AG
Listening to Schloss and watching recent games I don't think Dettmer is our Friday night starter. Gotta believe its Wansing after his recent performances. I don't know when the last time Dettmer threw out of the bullpen but its not the craziest idea to give it a shot but I wish we tried it this past weekend.. We don't have good righties out of the pen and Dettmer could help with that. As far as starters go - Wansing, Lamkin, Johnston, gotta be 1-3 with Matt Dillard or Dettmer next up. If its a righty heavy lineup then maybe Dettmer starts.
Sean98
AG
Texam90 said:

powerbelly said:

clendenin said:

McInnis said:

I've never looked into it at all... what IS the reason for the rule?
Mark Fairchild
AG
I trust in Schloss to make the decisions concerning EVERYTHING! He is the MAN!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
powerbelly
AG
Sean98 said:

Texam90 said:

powerbelly said:

clendenin said:

McInnis said:

I'm not sure, I just know I hate it
McInnis
AG
powerbelly said:

Sean98 said:

Texam90 said:

powerbelly said:

clendenin said:

McInnis said:

I'm not sure, I just know I hate it

Too bad, we could not have had that rule for UH when they joined the southwest conference!
dermdoc
AG
powerbelly said:

clendenin said:

McInnis said:

No the worst NCAA rule is that is if you fumble through the end zone it is a touchback to the other team.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
powerbelly
AG
dermdoc said:

powerbelly said:

clendenin said:

McInnis said:

No the worst NCAA rule is that is if you fumble through the end zone it is a touchback to the other team.

That is also a football rule at every level. Not even close imo
dermdoc
AG
powerbelly said:

dermdoc said:

powerbelly said:

clendenin said:

McInnis said:

That is also a football rule at every level. Not even close imo
I know. It is still horrible.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
McInnis
AG
dermdoc said:

powerbelly said:

clendenin said:

McInnis said:

Someone remembers Greg Hill in the '93 Cotton Bowl.
dermdoc
AG
McInnis said:

dermdoc said:

powerbelly said:

clendenin said:

McInnis said:

And the more recent Clemson game.

Just a stupid rule in my opinion.

But I do not know the solution.
McInnis
AG
dermdoc said:

McInnis said:

dermdoc said:

powerbelly said:

clendenin said:

McInnis said:

And the more recent Clemson game.

Just a stupid rule in my opinion.

But I do not know the solution.

The Clemson game was worse. Davis pushed the ball across the pylon before he lost control so that was a combination of a bad rule and a bad call. The review wouldn't overturn the call on the field.
Eso si, Que es
annie88 said:

That graphic bugs the hell outta me, looks like 3 games on Friday because they just shoved the losers bracket in there on the bottom left.

Leader in sports my ass
Biggame12
AG
jt2hunt said:

Dettmer
Wansing
Lamkin
Dillard
I can assure you, it won't be Dettmer...
fightintxag13
AG
Sean98 said:

Texam90 said:

powerbelly said:

clendenin said:

McInnis said:

D2 schools are allowed 9 scholarships and 39 total players while D1 is allowed 11.7 scholarships and 35 total players.

They give schools making the jump up to D1 wait to be eligible for postseason play for a couple reasons.

1) They want to create a little bit of a disincentive for schools that may have a talented roster coming from making a quick money grab with a more talented team.

2) Building off of 1, they don't want a school with a talented team to be able to go out and attract a few big time transfer targets with the extra scholarships that they just acquired that could turn a program into a significantly better team.

Not saying I agree with the rule, just explaining the reasoning behind it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.