*** Official 2023 Aggie Softball Season Thread ***

60,866 Views | 328 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by cevans_40
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The beginning of the diamond sport seasons is always a special time of the year. This year even more so with big expectations for Aggie baseball and a new staff at the helm of the softball program.

I figured since there aren't as many softball posts on this board as baseball we could keep the day to day and gameday softball posts on one thread. Last year there were 2 or 3 threads that kept getting bumped and were hard to follow.

Please post your thoughts, predictions and lets keep this thread going all way through regionals and hopefully beyond.

2023 Aggie Softball roster

NCAA RPI Rankings

Texas A&M Invitational
2/9 - Tarleton State W, 12-1
2/10 - Northern Kentucky W 6-1
2/10 - Tarleton State W 10-0
2/11 - Michigan State W 4-0
2/11 - A&M Commerce W 11-0
2/12 - A&M Commerce W 25 -0

Clearwater Invitational @ Clearwater Florida
2/16 - Oklahoma State L 0-8
2/17 - Arizona W 2-1
2/17 - UCF W 7-0
2/18 - USF W 5-1
2/18 - Nebraska L 3-4

Mary Nutter Classic @ Cathedral City Ca
2/23 - BYU W 8-6
2/23 - CSU Northridge W 3-1
2/24 - Oklahoma L 0-8
2/25 - UCLA L 0-3
2/25 - Utah Valley Cancelled

3/1 - Houston W 9-1

Baylor Invitational
3/4 - Sam Houston L 0-4
3/4 - Baylor W 3-0
3/5 - Sam Houston W 4-0
3/5 - Baylor L 1-2

3/10 - 3/12 @ Arkansas L 0-8, W 2.0, W 9-1
3/17 - 3/19 Georgia L 5-7, L 5-6, L 8-0 woof
3/22 - Louisiana Tech W 6-3
3/24 - 3/26 @ Kentucky W 14-13, W 10-0, L 2-10
3/28 - Lamar W 3-2
3/29 - Incarnate Word W 6-0
3/31 - 4/2 Tennessee L 1-2, W 3-2, L 9-2
4/8 - 4/10 Mississippi State W 9-1, W 2-1, W 5-1
4/12 - U La La W 4-2
4/14 - 4/16 @ South Carolina L 2-6, L 0-1, L 0-8. Ouch
4/19 - Texas State W 8-0
4/21 - 4/23 @ Ole Miss L 5-8, W 6-3, W 13-8
4/25 - PVAMU W 12-0
4/28 - 4/30 Missouri W 6-2, L 1-8, W 11-4
5/3 - @ Houston W 9-3

5/9 - 5/13 SEC Tournament, Fayetteville Ar

519 - 6/9 NCAA Tournament

jigsaw87
AG
Looking forward to it!
HoustonAg2021
BQ_90
AG
I went to the exhibition game vs UH. They looked damn good then. I don't follow enough to make prediction, but I expect they'll be better with this coaching staff
Aggie*_86
AG
Can't wait for Aggie Invitational to see what we got! I'll be there!
SeenNotHeard
AG
Maybe I missed this already being talked about, but Mayce Allen and Bri Evans are not on the 2023 roster.
AgE Doc
AG
I was just curious as to what the A&M Softball schedule looked like this year, and was a little surprised to see that instead of hosting the 3 or 4 pre-conference tournaments that we have been doing the last 3-4 years, we are only hosting one and are on the road for multi-team events in Florida, California and Waco.

Just interested in the strategy of that kind of schedule. Does anyone have any knowledge behind the reasons for the change? I'm sure there are pluses and minuses.
SeenNotHeard
AG
I think that is a product of the new staff and schedules being more in flux. I bet we are back to hosting 2+ next year.
Belton Ag
AG
SeenNotHeard said:

Maybe I missed this already being talked about, but Mayce Allen and Bri Evans are not on the 2023 roster.

I don't know what happened but I am surprised Bri Evans is gone, she was there for fall ball and looked promising to me.

Mayce Allen leaving isn't a complete shock. I don't see how Cotrill and the talented freshmen aren't getting most of the work behind the plate.

Wish them well and hope they find a place that makes them comfortable.
aggiebrad94
Belton Ag
AG

Interesting comment by Rylen Wiggens about the team chemistry and player relationships.
sharpdressedman
Every reason to be both supportive and optimistic. The new coaching staff and players are impressive. I have confidence they will flush the recent program history and write a new, successful chapter in Aggie softball history.
CactusThomas
Goro Majima
AG
I'm cautiously excited. It's Trisha's first season so whatever happens she gets leeway but I'm absolutely expecting her to be an upgrade over Jo.
Wooahhhh
AG
nice opening day win. exciting mix of returnees and new players that could quickly create some excitement. Michigan State game will be a good game to watch.
Belton Ag
AG
I watched Cottrill in the fall and seeing her yesterday, she's the kind of portal addition that some people were bemoaning us not getting after Ford came in. She'll take some of the sting out of losing Lee.

Really, I'm much more comfortable in saying that I don't think we'll miss the players that bailed on the program as much as I thought we might.
Wooahhhh
AG
agreed and I hate to talk a coach down, so I'll just say I think this coaching staff may be a difference-maker. Especially in regards to Uribe & Kennedy.
Belton Ag
AG
Going into todays game one of the biggest differences I see so far between this year and the past is the number of strikeouts we're getting. Ford is definitely having them attack the zone more and being more aggressive than I've noticed in the past.
Goro Majima
AG
They look a lot sharper. Even in the early games, Jo's pitchers looked sloppy AF. Especially after the Sam Show/Trinity Harrington/Lexi Smith era.
Belton Ag
AG
Not just being aggressive in the circle but in the batter's box as well. Not too much taking the first pitch of the AB going on. Last year it seemed like Lee was the only batter with the green light to go after any pitch, this year it looks like the players are being coached to pick their pitches and go after the ones they like, even if it's the first in the AB.
Boozer92
AG
I have enjoyed watching every game this weekend. Hard to tell how much progress they have made until next week so for now just enjoying the ride.

I think the pitching will be much better and much deeper than last year but I do remind myself last opening weekend Aggie won 9-1, 9-0, 2-0, 11-3 and 9-1 against similar competition.
Brian DeSpain
I agree it is a wait and see. But do they look the same? Do they look to have a better approach to hitting, fielding, the game in general. Even early last year the first weekend you could tell they were not a great or disciplined team. Just wondering if they have the look of an improved team.
Boozer92
AG
I think so.
Colt98
AG
Something that jumped out to me right off the bat is the girls get to wear bows in their hair now. Thats a big deal
Belton Ag
AG
Ha, I noticed that too. Jo was vocal about how she hated the bows and ribbons.
fightintxaggie10
AG
Belton Ag said:

Interesting comment by Rylen Wiggens about the team chemistry and player relationships.

What does her comment about Emily Levitt mean, "To be fair [Minnesota] was a better fit for her". Uhhh what?
Colt98
AG
There are so many small things to notice with the change in guard. Just how the team looks out on the field. Much more athletic, unis were sweet all weekend. When girls look great they play great. I know recent past teams have longed for better culture and that was never developed due to the person in charge. It is obvious the changes that have been made so far are working. It will be interesting to see how the next couple of weeks go, but so far I like what I see.
Colt98
AG
Listen again…. She is saying A&M is a better fit. Not Minn.
woodometer
AG
Anyone know why Grace Uribe didnt play this weekend. I was expecting to see all five pitchers.
Belton Ag
AG
woodometer said:

Anyone know why Grace Uribe didnt play this weekend. I was expecting to see all five pitchers.
My understanding is that Grace is banged up a bit. It doesn't seem serious as she didn't have a brace or boot on, but that's my understanding.
BigBubbaAggie82
I wouldn't be surprised to see her in Clearwater for at least a few innings. I'm told she's working out.
Gap
AG
I'm pretty sure I saw Grace Uribe in the bullpen throwing a couple of bullpen sessions over the weekend. At least, she was dressed out and looked very active down there. My assumption was that she was throwing or had just thrown but I'm only like 70% sure I actually saw her throw as I was more focused on our game.
AggieShanks
AG
Just wanted to bookmark the thread and tell you Ags thank you for generating interest for a young college student!
Colt98
AG
Grace was throwing a bullpen Friday night during game
Wooahhhh
AG
"Boys have to win to feel good, girls have to feel good to win."
So many funny stories on braids, glitter, uniform fixes, ad nauseum in roughly 20 years of fastpitch coaching.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.