Texas Baseball League Concept

2,245 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by agswin84
Capt. America
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My creative mind decided to go down a rabbit hole and create a hypothetical full Texas summer league out of the current concept of the Texas Collegiate League. As the league currently only has 5 teams, two of which are in Louisiana, so I decided to rectify this by making a 16-team league entirely situated in Texas.

My idea was to use a couple of the existing teams as well as a few markets that have previously held teams. My qualifications are basically keep teams out of major metros and focus on smaller markets (primarily in the 50,000-500,000 range) that currently don't have teams, with one notable exception. My league looks like this as it stands:

Central
[ol]
  • Brazos Valley Bombers
  • New Braunfels Gruene Sox
  • Cen-Tex Rangers
  • Waco 35ers
  • [/ol]East
    [ol]
  • Tyler Roses
  • Lufkin Lumberjacks
  • Texarkana Twins
  • Huntsville Slammers
  • [/ol]West
    [ol]
  • Abilene Prairie Dogs
  • Lubbock Billies
  • San Angelo Colts
  • Wichita Falls Spudders
  • [/ol]South
    [ol]
  • Galveston Gales
  • Victoria Generals
  • The Valley Guitarrns
  • Gulf Coast Anglers (Corpus)
  • [/ol]
    I'm curious if any of you had ideas! Just doing this for fun of course!
    West Texan
    AG

I used to love going to prairie dog games as a kid.
    ptothemo
    AG
    When I was a kid, the independent league team in Tyler was the Wildcatters. There may be a fair bit of nostalgia tied to it, but I have always loved that name.

ETA - There used to be a TCL team in Kilgore (East Texas Pump Jacks) that eventually moved to Tyler. Anyway, Kilgore would be a good one to add to the East Division so that Driller Park is in play. I haven't been there in years, so I don't know that it's still in the same shape as before but that was a really cool, old park.
    slo8140
    AG
    Driller is in great shape.

Moving to Tyler killed the Pump Jacks.

Great fan support in Kilgore. Hardly any in Tyler.
    wareagle044
    West Texan said:

I used to love going to prairie dog games as a kid.
    They've relocated to Amarillo and assumed the name Sod Poodle
    Bullpen Chias
    AG
    Capt. America said:

My creative mind decided to go down a rabbit hole and create a hypothetical full Texas summer league out of the current concept of the Texas Collegiate League. As the league currently only has 5 teams, two of which are in Louisiana, so I decided to rectify this by making a 16-team league entirely situated in Texas.

My idea was to use a couple of the existing teams as well as a few markets that have previously held teams. My qualifications are basically keep teams out of major metros and focus on smaller markets (primarily in the 50,000-500,000 range) that currently don't have teams, with one notable exception. My league looks like this as it stands:

Central
    [ol]
  • Brazos Valley Bombers
  • New Braunfels Gruene Sox
  • Cen-Tex Rangers
  • Waco 35ers
  • [/ol]East
    [ol]
  • Tyler Roses
  • Lufkin Lumberjacks
  • Texarkana Twins
  • Huntsville Slammers
  • [/ol]West
    [ol]
  • Abilene Prairie Dogs
  • Lubbock Billies
  • San Angelo Colts
  • Wichita Falls Spudders
  • [/ol]South
    [ol]
  • Galveston Gales
  • Victoria Generals
  • The Valley Guitarrns
  • Gulf Coast Anglers (Corpus)
  • [/ol]
    I'm curious if any of you had ideas! Just doing this for fun of course!

You can likely buy a team for this league for under $100k. Get going!
    BCSWguru
    Lubbock Crickets with my favorite mascot, Davy Cricket.
    Schrute Farms
    ptothemo said:

When I was a kid, the independent league team in Tyler was the Wildcatters. There may be a fair bit of nostalgia tied to it, but I have always loved that name.

ETA - There used to be a TCL team in Kilgore (East Texas Pump Jacks) that eventually moved to Tyler. Anyway, Kilgore would be a good one to add to the East Division so that Driller Park is in play. I haven't been there in years, so I don't know that it's still in the same shape as before but that was a really cool, old park.

I loved the Wildcatters growing up and agree with Kilgore getting back in the mix.

I really missed the Flying Chanclas in this year's TCL. Their presence made the league more fun.
    aggiedaddie
    There is a team in Alpine. The Cowboys play in an independent league that also had teams in Weimar and Austin. Or did.

There was a really good team in Sugarland (Skeeters) that played in an east coast independent league. Pete Incaviglia was coaching the year I saw them. --- nope, covid killed them and they are now the astros AAA team renamed space cowboys. nevermind.

agswin84
    AG
    "Huntsville Slammers" made me laugh. Great name
    '84 '87 '89
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.