What happened to our baseball program?

17,650 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by greg.w.h
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Buzzy said:

Quote:

Btw: to me he looks like a PR guy. Which isn't to say he lacks experience in the athletics side. Just that seems is go to strength. I've tried to pass along the public side of his comments. Others might have a different look they can share to correct me.
If PR is his strength, we're in trouble. His reaction to the news that texas wanted to join the SEC was laughably bad. My biggest criticism of Bjork is probably his lack of media saavy and understanding of PR.
He didn't know it was happening. That was a fault of leadership, not him.
Buzzy
greg.w.h said:

Buzzy said:

Quote:

Btw: to me he looks like a PR guy. Which isn't to say he lacks experience in the athletics side. Just that seems is go to strength. I've tried to pass along the public side of his comments. Others might have a different look they can share to correct me.
If PR is his strength, we're in trouble. His reaction to the news that texas wanted to join the SEC was laughably bad. My biggest criticism of Bjork is probably his lack of media saavy and understanding of PR.

Even if you don't know what is going on, you don't say what he said. Like I said, he is not media savvy. He's also not self-aware enough to know when he should just shut up.
Wild West Pimp Style
Hungry Ojos
dermdoc said:

Nothing happened to our baseball program.

We are still here.

Where are you?

BTHO Wichita State!
Lol, this aged well...

Either way, kind of a weird flex...not sure what you were insinuating.
TexasRebel
AG
We got past '06.

This'll pass, too.
dermdoc
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

dermdoc said:

Nothing happened to our baseball program.

We are still here.

Where are you?

BTHO Wichita State!
Lol, this aged well...

Either way, kind of a weird flex...not sure what you were insinuating.
I was insinuating that I believe in Schloss and we will be fine.

And any real baseball fan knows it is way too early to judge anything. Look at the Braves just last year.

And we will still support no matter what.

God bless and gig 'em!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
greg.w.h
AG
Buzzy said:

greg.w.h said:

Buzzy said:

Quote:

Even if you don't know what is going on, you don't say what he said. Like I said, he is not media savvy. He's also not self-aware enough to know when he should just shut up.

What he said was perfect.
Rooster4Ag
AG
RC left Schloss with a horrific roster, and you can't bridge that gap with transfers. Dettmer sucks, and Menefee is totally washed. Those were supposed to be two big pieces. The lineup had to be totally torn down, that tells you all you need to know.
What have ye done to surpass man?
SchizoAg
AG
Rooster4Ag said:

RC left Schloss with a horrific roster, and you can't bridge that gap with transfers. Dettmer sucks, and Menefee is totally washed. Those were supposed to be two big pieces. The lineup had to be totally torn down, that tells you all you need to know.
What does "washed" mean?
TAM85
Yeah, I don't know that that is true. And about half the team is made up of guys Schloss brought in. We should have enough ball players not to need a walk-off against Fordham, to sweep or take 2/3 from a Penn team that has played about a dozen games in the last two years (even with that salty Ivy League pitching), do better than squeeze by HBU by a run at home and we should be able to sweep or take 2/3 in Frisco. Something else is not right.
jc97
AG
Stone44 said:

Does Penn even give athletic scholarships?
Technically no -- but it's well understood that the Ivy League recruits with the understanding that good athletes will get other scholarships / financial aid.

Many Ivy's have such huge endowments that anyone who needs financial assistant gets it. So this can be conveyed during the recruiting process.

Dollars are fungible.

Chester
AG
Rooster4Ag said:

NOPE!!!
Chester
Rooster4Ag
AG
washed up, all the hype from 2 years ago is gone and now he's a bad reliever
What have ye done to surpass man?
Chester
AG
Rooster4Ag said:

NOPE!!!
Chester
MAROON
AG
jc97 said:

Stone44 said:

Does Penn even give athletic scholarships?
Technically no -- but it's well understood that the Ivy League recruits with the understanding that good athletes will get other scholarships / financial aid.

Many Ivy's have such huge endowments that anyone who needs financial assistant gets it. So this can be conveyed during the recruiting process.

Dollars are fungible.

correct.

and their is plenty of talent in the Ivy League. Friend's son pitched for Harvard - he's now in the Reds organization.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
dermdoc
AG
Chester said:

Rooster4Ag said:

NOPE!!!
Agree. I believe in Moo.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jkag89
Rooster4Ag said:

Then why is Schloss using him as our Friday starter?
jkag89
Have you paid the least amount of attention to some of the craziness that has gone on in college ball the first three weeks?
twk
AG
dermdoc said:

Chester said:

Rooster4Ag said:

NOPE!!!
Agree. I believe in Moo.
Moo has had some good moments for us. The challenge for the coaching staff is to coax that out of him, and to do it consistently. Given our other options, I would not give up on Moo.
TAM85
jkag89 said:

Have you paid the least amount of attention to some of the craziness that has gone on in college ball the first three weeks?
No, I am not concerned with other team's issues, just our team's.
Buzzy
TAM85 said:

jkag89 said:

No, I am not concerned with other team's issues, just our team's.
If other teams get upset and underachieve against teams they have no business losing to, it somehow makes it acceptable for our team to underachieve and get upset by teams they have no business losing to. It's a weird stretch, but people grasp for that straw quite often.

You see it in football, too, when there are several upsets on a weekend. It's like they believe losing is a disease, as contagious as syphilis.

Wild West Pimp Style
Buzzy
Quote:

What he said was perfect.
No it wasn't, he looked like a bumbling idiot completely caught off guard with his pants down.

Jimbo had the perfect response and he isn't a "PR professional" like Bjork.
Wild West Pimp Style
dermdoc
AG
Rooster4Ag said:

Disagree on Dettmer also.

I know you do not care but player's parents read this board.

Maybe you should post to yourself?
TAM85
Perhaps some will use other's problems to feel better about ours, but I expect everyone has concerns about that.

Our 2022 team has 16 players from last year's roster and 22 new players that Schloss brought in. About 60% of the players came in under Schloss. Of the 22 new players Moss, Claunch, Cortez, Prager, Dallas and Hogan (although only 5 innings) are contributing.

From last year's roster Harrison (at least defensively), Minnich, Werner, Bost, Dettmer, Curtis and maybe Smith are contributing.
htxag09
AG
TAM85 said:

Perhaps some will use other's problems to feel better about ours, but I expect everyone has concerns about that.

Our 2022 team has 16 players from last year's roster and 22 new players that Schloss brought in. About 60% of the players came in under Schloss. Of the 22 new players Moss, Claunch, Cortez, Prager, Dallas and Hogan (although only 5 innings) are contributing.

From last year's roster Harrison (at least defensively), Minnich, Werner, Bost, Dettmer, Curtis and maybe Smith are contributing.
You keep saying this and using it against the team as a reason they should be doing better. Schloss has been here for half a year. So 60% of our players are new to the program, either in the form of freshmen or transfers. That doesn't mean Schloss has all the guys he wants, that means he's rebuilding.
TAM85
No, I say this because I don't want to hear Schloss (or posters on this board) say our early season struggles are because he was left with a horrific roster when more that half of the guys on the 2022 roster are players he brought in.
htxag09
AG
Again, think about what you're saying. Half the players are new. What team out there has a roster with >60% of their roster being new to the program? Why do you think 60% of the roster is new? Probably because it was sparse when he arrived.

Honest question, do you think Schloss would rather 22 of our players be brand new to the program that "he brought in" or have 30 sophomores, juniors and seniors and a handful of freshman/transfers like most programs?
TAM85
If the majority of the guys on the roster are your guys you cannot complain about not having good players. Who you brought in is on you. For the most part players are not on the 2022 roster because they finished eligibility, didn't want to play for the new staff, were asked to leave or signed pro contracts.

I think he would rather have more than 5 or 6 of the 22 new players he brought in to be contributing.
htxag09
AG
My last post, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

But your logic only holds true if he comes in, has a full roster and cans everyone to bring in who he wants. Even then, that doesn't mean they'll all perform on day 1.

But, if he comes in and our roster is such **** that he has to scramble to just fill a team, your logic breaks down.
jkag89
Quote:

If other teams get upset and underachieve against teams they have no business losing to, it somehow makes it acceptable for our team to underachieve and get upset by teams they have no business losing to.

Not at all what I was trying to convey with my statement. I realize this team has issues,. While cautiously optimistic entering the season I expected a rocky road. I just found it rather amusing that TAM85 saw the walk-off against Fordham as a negative. Even great teams win games against lesser opponents in their final at bat. The most storied baseball team in Aggie lore made a habit of it,. The term Olsen Magic was not born with Byington's home runs against sippie, it only cemented it.
TAM85
Don't presume I am proposing a formula for transitions. Getting who he wants?? You are reaching. I am commenting on this team and its transition from last year.

Q for you- We make a regional in 2022. T or F?
djktamu
AG
twk said:

dermdoc said:

Chester said:

Rooster4Ag said:

NOPE!!!
Agree. I believe in Moo.
Moo has had some good moments for us. The challenge for the coaching staff is to coax that out of him, and to do it consistently. Given our other options, I would not give up on Moo.
Menefee needs coaching. He's a thrower more than a pitcher. You don't give up on a live arm. You work with one. But, he shouldn't be our closer. Hogan looks like he may have closer stuff. Menefee will have to settle as being a setup reliever.
warrington74
AG
8-4

You would think we are 4-8 the way you all post

NEw coach
New players
New system for old players

8-4 is I think a good start to not cry about

All the moaning and groaning act like a bunch of people from tcu that are use to making the college World Series

We haven't sniffed top ten in a a while
greg.w.h
AG
I think there a lot of people who actually want to keep up with the Joneses still…and believe the sole cause of Texas's success is coaching. Aggies naturally favor the work hard ethic because that's how you get a degree from our institution and how you put it to work. Our law school is even ranked highly in intellectual property law not ambulance chasing like one key donor for Texas.

We do fine without being showy and we pay attention to fiscal responsibility (other than that disastrous $16 million loan.) I do thing we have grown carefully into more of a large market team as our fan base has grown, but we do things differently because it is who we are.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.